Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Light Pole Mounts?

So those Fly mount screws could serve another purpose.  I'm working on a project now to see if it will work.  I bought a couple of these from Long and McQuade up here in Canada.

post-1103921-0-40147100-1367544102_thumb.jpg

I don't think the holes will line up but I'll just drill some holes if I have to to line up with the fly mount screws.  But once I have that done, I'll cut some very short speaker/light pole so that I can set up my lights on top of the L3t's. 

These are the lights I have, I have 2 of these and these 4 little lights are really powerful and really lightweight and can easily light up the stage.

post-1103921-0-59536400-1367544360_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping this will work out nicely but I thought I would share in case others want to try or if Line 6 wants to look into making something that fits perfectly.

The issue is tipping safety.  

In order to get certification for putting speakers up on a pole they have to be stable to a specified amount of tip angle and be able to recover if tipped that far.  Our speakers are as high up as can be certified.  If you add weight or height to the tops they would no longer be able to be certified and could fall over (hopefully not on a customer) if a drunk falls into them.  So I have to say that it's not a safe practice and advise against doing it.

I get what you're saying, but essentially when I cut the pole, it will just be to hold the lights in place.  I want them to be basically resting on the top of the speaker but with the pole inserted for security.  It's hard to tell from the picture but those lights are really light and small.  It's 21" wide and maybe 8 lbs.  So the additional weight etc. wouldn't be significant.  But that's MY lights and MY circumstance so I can see how you wouldn't promote such use as a general practice.  Given that you're saying these speakers are barely within certification, adding heavier lights, raised up higher than the speaker and wider could seriously compromise safety.

These lights will overhang past the speakers 4" on either side less if they are corner to corner which is the most likely scenario.  With the speakers facing directly forward, I would likely have the lights on a 45 degree angle back towards the stage.  In MY situation I think that if a drunk were able to knock over the speaker with MY lights on top, the speaker would be going down anyway.  I do appreciate the input though I will be vigil in setup and watching over to try to minimize the risk.

• 2 weeks later...

I got both items from Long and McQuade so I am giving you the info from the Long and McQuade website.

The pole mount adaptors are;

Yorkville Sound
Speaker Stand External Mount
SKS-ADAPT
Price: $6.99

The lights are;

Yorkville Sound
LP Series Dimmer Bar w/2 LED Heads
LP-LED2
Price: $855.00

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I didn't necessarily want to bring this back to the forefront but I have been doing this for quite a few gigs now and since I have both long and short Line 6 threaded speaker poles I have found that I have great flexibility.

I want to go on record as saying that I heed dBoomers advice re: tipping but with these small LEDs it really isn't an issue any more than the speakers themselves.    I wouldn't try this with wider heavier lighting trees.

In my last post I stated that you would need to cut down some speaker/light poles but at the time of that post I didn't have the short Line 6 poles.

Now I have the option of mounting the L3t's on the short poles on top of the L3s's and using the long Line 6 poles for the lights or vice versa, mount the L3t's on the long Line 6 poles and use the short ones for the lights.  I don't have to use the cut down lighting poles at all anymore.

I will endeavour to take some pics of each variation over the next coming gigs so you can see how the set up looks in either configuration. 

I like that idea and did the same with my ef500p's over my ls801p's. I then actually put two more pole mounts in my subs so I could just put the lights on a pole into the subs. I think for the smaller stages, it is a great way to save space and speed up set up. I am g

As to see it works on the L3t's too. I don't really want to drill a hole in the L3s for a light pole.....but never know..I might.

Glad to see some pictures. Thanks litesnsirens.