Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I'D BUY A SPIDER V 60 WATT, BUT NOT WITH A 10" SPEAKER...NO WAY! MAKE IT A 12"

KennyFenderstrat

It actually sounds really good. Though I found it best to use the Post EQ to boost the low and mid gain on it to match a 1x12 like the CODE 50 which I also own. The JTM 45  clean sound very close to one another and the Post EQ boost does give you a lot more headroom. 

Ultimately it depends what you want it for, practice in a fairly large room and you will probably be ok. The stock presets don't use the post EQ much making the amp seem a bit more flat and boxy.

I might have to spring for the 120 watt Spider V with the 12" speaker, but my Spider IV has 2x10's and was stereo. I still have that, and I use a Spider IV 150 2x12" at gigs... But as far as Marketing goes, Guitarists are mostly wanting a minimum of a 12" speaker in their amps unless there are 2x10"s or 4x10's...

A 1x10" amp usually isn't going to be used by a gigging musician on stage, even though other 60 watt 1x12" amps are... A 12" just has more bottom end...

If you replace the 12" spk, use one that is full range. I read somewhere else that a good one for the amp is Eminance 12 LTA. It's a wide band speaker. Modeling forum has some that have made powered cabs for floor modeling boards. They use some stereo amp in a Seismic cab that looked like the Genz Benz. It was ported and they used 2 of the Eminance Beta 12's.

I ended up buying the Spider V 120... It has the XLR line outs, so I can run XLR cables to a PA or get a Seismic 2x12"  or 4x12" cab and mount a QSC Power amp in it as a Powered 2x12" extension cab... or add a 1x15" full range speaker in a powered cab...

I do have 2 Mackie 400 watt powered speakers that I can also run XLR cables to and have stereo, ...one on each side of the amp...

I'll have to try that before I start another project...