Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What you most like next for your variax

madmalcnoodling

Hello All,

I'm fairly new to variax, but thought I'd open a thread for what we'd like next.

Personally some of the pre populated options are too heavily biased to one instrument model with all 5 positions of the selector switch devoted to just one instrument in some pre-set modelling choices.

I'd like to see less pre-sets and more custom options.

A pipe dream is a brass instrument.

A pipe dream is a brass instrument.

It's a modeler, not a guitar synth...you're barking up the wrong tree. The technology is fundamentally different. A nylon-string guitar is even too far removed tone wise, to be possible with the tech as it currently exists. Trying to get it to sound like a wind instrument (or a pipe organ, djembe, or anything that doesn't have steel strings on it) is a non-starter.

• Upvote 1

Updated and refreshed models. The 1.x models in some cases sounded better than the 2.x models, especially the acoustic guitar models. I'd like to see Line6 refresh these models, and provide optional models for installation to replace the ones we rarely use.

• Upvote 2

I agree that having the choice between older acoustic models vs the newer 2.x models would be nice.  

Also the idea of just the unprocessed piezo signal that has been kicking around the forums would be very useful.

If the Variax is already processing each individual string and note for the alt tuning function, maybe being able to convert that to midi wouln't be too far off.  That could let those pipe dreamers use it with outboard gear for all sorts of piano and trumpet sounds.  I'd love to use it as a simple transcription tool to input notes into TAB.  That could be really useful for transcribers and teachers.

I also recently got my hands on one of Yamaha's Silent Guitars, and I think it would be a perfect fit for revamping the acoustic versions of Variax.  Alt tunings would be cool and you don't hear much of the actual string noise.  They are basically feedback proof.  Having a nylon guitar that could emulate other acoustics and maybe jazz boxes would be pretty sick.

• Upvote 1

MIDI output from a Variax, possibly through Helix USB MIDI or HD500 would be a big plus. I have a Fishman TriplePlay on my Variax Standard. That would make this redundant and unnecessary.

MIDI is no way to get modeled guitar sounds. But its pretty useful for lots of other things.

A V body and a transparent (plexi glass) colored body. A small screen to show model and tuning. More banks for custom made sounds. Midi output. Stereo strings, that you can set what strings go left and what right. And 3 pickups at once.

And 3 pickups at once.

Funny you should mention that...I just put a set of Kinman "noiseless" (I use that term cautiously) pickups in one of my Strats. They come all wired up to a harness that allows for some interesting pickup combos. There's one master tone pot, and the remaining tone pot has 2 functions:

1) It blends in the neck pickup for toggle switch positions 1 through 3, and

2) It's a push/pull pot...in the "out" position, and the toggle switch in position 2, the bridge and middle pickups are then wired in series. So you get a reasonably fat "humbucker-ish" tone, which can also be blended with the neck pickup if desired.

So far my favorite is the bridge pickup with just a bit more than half of the neck pickup's output rolled on...Strat bridge pickups can be a bit "shrill", this seems to balance that quite nicely.

I had a Strat years ago that I modified to get all pickup combinations, with and without phase switching on the middle pickup. I found in practice it wasn't worth it. The out of phase sounds were certainly different but not pleasant and I never used them. The three pickup combination was also different but not that much and tended to lose some volume. I suspect that's because the middle pickup is wound in reverse and has its magnets flipped to provide hum bucking capability in positions 2 and 5. With all three pickups on you have two pickups in one phase and one in the other. That's not going to match well.

What I did like is being able to getting the bridge and neck pickup combination to get the sound of a two pickup guitar. But as guitar styles have changed, this two pickup sound seems to be used less and less. It does have a bit of a nasally tone. I find I don't use it as much anymore, but do have that capability on my go-to Strat. Its a push-pull switch on the volume control. I didn't bother creating that combination on my Variax Standard though since I didn't use it that much. I'd rather use the Tele or Les Paul model for that when I need it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

How about a JTV 59 model with a  trem?  I don't understand why guitar people are so against single cutaways with a simple tremolo.  PRS seems to be the only one to offer such animals.   :o  Bass sim makes sense as well, so does nylon string and MIDI out through the USB.

Don't hold your breath, they've already got 3 other tremolo models...soiling the 59 with a trem would just pi$$ off the stop-tail crowd. ;)

Yeah, but none of them is a single cutaway "LP" style - it isn't just Line 6, hardly any manufacturers seem to offer a single cut with a trem except PRS, it's like they can't get away from a certain set of "rules" or something.

Yeah, but none of them is a single cutaway "LP" style - it isn't just Line 6, hardly any manufacturers seem to offer a single cut with a trem except PRS, it's like they can't get away from a certain set of "rules" or something.

A rule it is indeed, and a simple one at that. It's called "this is what we think people are gonna buy". Doesn't much matter if it makes sense or not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An SG Model would be good, Maybe a classic guitar model or and Oud (Lute).

Definitely more pickups models maybe they can collaborate with Di Marzio or Seymour Duncan.

And I would buy a Variax bass without insane prices.

Love & Peace from Istanbul

• Upvote 1