Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Would I Lose Any Benefits By Going From 1.7to Hd2

first of all i would like to thank all the guys for their help on my questions.I have had my jtv69 for 15 mos. now but i never did any of the other upgrades by going straight from 1.7tohd2 did i lose benefits of those other upgrades.Like if i went from 1.7 to 1.8 then 1.9 then to hd2 would that give me better upgrades in my guitar or would the hd2 just replace what is already there.thank you for your time cal.

flashing to 2.0 will give you everything from all previous updates, you won't lose anything.

Not really. There's a FEW things you'll lose. You'll be reduced from 3 telecaster bodies to 1. Not too bad, but the thinline telecaster really should have stayed.

well you technically lose all the models and gain all new ones...

i was talking feature wise... and was saying that you don't have to get the updates incrementally.

Sorry. I would personally consider the models you get to be part of the features. It's not too bad of a trade, getting a better single telecaster than multiple telecasters. Oh yeah, and the goldtop les paul is gone as well, also the custom les paul I think.

• Upvote 1

Yep, the most unfortunate thing for me was the les paul custom that is missing  :(

I still think this is because they're hitting the memory's capacity. Nothing you can really do, unless you want to deal with them making a new suite of guitars with new memory, then we'll end up having the whole "they don't support my Variax anymore wtf" argument again. Maybe if it's the same design models, you could opt for a memory upgrade on your Variax if this actually happened.

I highly doubt any of that would happen though.

I'm sure they were aiming to give you more versatile options when they did this though. I personally can see new pickups and higher quality modeling to be more important than multiple bodies, but it's all opinion I guess. 

I'm going to miss the Thinline Telecaster and Custom Les Paul, that's for sure.

• Upvote 1

they can still have models in the firmware that do not directly correlate to the knob...

case in point... the 89 pickup models... because it is built into the guitar... the model is in there.... even though there is not a permanent home for it on the dial.

you can build the model yourself and store it for recall on the switch anywhere really (but i chose the custom slot) so you could in essence overwrite crap you don't use and place stuff you want on the dial

as long as "it's in there"

in fact you can get a few extra acoustic variations as well...

basically copy the acoustic bank... add parallel strings to the 6r's and turn it off on the 12'rs and you got 5 new acoustics....

although not entirely the same as the 89 models... they are a whole model internally with no home on the dial.

there is for certain a finite amount of internal memory for models.

They did not change the number of models - they just changes what some of them were.  Who said anything about running out of memory????  The interface can only address the number of models that they support now with the model knob and 5 way switch.

They did not change the number of models - they just changes what some of them were.  Who said anything about running out of memory????  The interface can only address the number of models that they support now with the model knob and 5 way switch.

No, but they replaced models with other models.

The memory thing is from the fact they replaced models instead of adding models to the current selection.

No, but they replaced models with other models.

The memory thing is from the fact they replaced models instead of adding models to the current selection.

I don't think that's it. I think the reason the old models are not included is that they don't have access to the guitars anymore so couldn't re-model them with the new HD modeling technology in v2. Instead they found similar guitars and replaced them hoping users would find no difference or prefer them to the old models.

Cheers,

jayson

yes and no....

what you say is probably true as well...

but they did remove additional models from 1.83 when they added the HD acoustics back then.

so there really isn't room for both sets... that and the underlying HD "engine" would have resulted in a change to the sound of the old models besides.

and lets not forget the quality difference...

sure the old models sounded fine....

i have a fine collection of music on my ipod.. all at either lossless or 192+ kbps

there's always those handful of older songs I've not upgraded... and when some 128 kbps song comes on it sounds like crap in the context of my high bitrate songs...

I don't think that's it. I think the reason the old models are not included is that they don't have access to the guitars anymore so couldn't re-model them with the new HD modeling technology in v2. Instead they found similar guitars and replaced them hoping users would find no difference or prefer them to the old models.

Cheers,

jayson

I still don't think it's a memory issue.

The JTV's have enough memory to load 12 banks with 5 patches each for a total of 60 distinct HD guitars. I think the problem with the old models are that it's like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole; the structure of the new HD engine is too different to simply port over old models so Line 6 had to re-profile each guitar. That would also explain why the acoustics all had to change when they went to HD versions.

To the OP I'd say, if you have the time, try out the new version. While there are a few issues I have experienced, overall I'm sticking with v2.

Cheers,

jayson

yes and no....

what you say is probably true as well...

but they did remove additional models from 1.83 when they added the HD acoustics back then.

so there really isn't room for both sets... that and the underlying HD "engine" would have resulted in a change to the sound of the old models besides.

and lets not forget the quality difference...

sure the old models sounded fine....

i have a fine collection of music on my ipod.. all at either lossless or 192+ kbps

there's always those handful of older songs I've not upgraded... and when some 128 kbps song comes on it sounds like crap in the context of my high bitrate songs...

I still don't think it's a memory issue.

The JTV's have enough memory to load 12 banks with 5 patches each for a total of 60 distinct HD guitars. I think the problem with the old models are that it's like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole; the structure of the new HD engine is too different to simply port over old models so Line 6 had to re-profile each guitar. That would also explain why the acoustics all had to change when they went to HD versions.

To the OP I'd say, if you have the time, try out the new version. While there are a few issues I have experienced, overall I'm sticking with v2.

Cheers,

jayson

How big is the firmware file?

I agree that it could be that they maybe didn't have access to those vintage guitars anymore, but hopefully they can add them back eventually.

They might of said "Hopefully they can appreciate these new guitars and not mind the few missing models", but I hope they can try to add more stuff back in time.

I don't really know. 

I wasn't saying "add the old models with the new models", that would be kind of dumb for reasons that you've stated (Zap). It's the reason I was against that "Add the old models with the new models" topic. 

Either way, I hope I'm wrong about the memory thing, because honestly that means future features would be limited if the memory hit the ceiling.