Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Lost my snapshots, Update can't be worth this..

twystedriffs

Just updated exactly as described, still lost all my snapshot settings. I use them extensively, and I can't imagine the amount of work I am gonna have to do to recreate them. Almost 50 patches usually with 4 snaps each. I waited till after my last gig of the year, But I am gonna be sick unless anyone has been able to figure this problem out? I can not imagine ever updating my helix again for any reason. Horrible update process and judging from all the other issues I see yall having with this, it certainly needs to be looked at more closely by the fine folks at Line 6. Been using their stuff since the very beginning, and this is my first real issue. But it is a big one. Maybe someone has a fix, and I am over reacting, but if not this makes me wanna toss the damn thing out the window. But I love it too much.. I went from 2.01 to 2.11, on a P.C., everything seemed to go so smooth, but nope, all my settings are just.. gone...

After the update did you do all the restarts? Are you also updating the editor?

How did you backup before you updated?

If you have a backup, you just need to reinstall the patches. ( it's wise to backup individual patches, then you can put back what you need, and do a bit of housekeeping while you are at it.

If you have done all that and you still don't see your snapshots, are your globals set to display them?

You need to use the same layout of snapshots and patches etc to get everything looking as it did - that's in globals. If you had a global EQ, you will need to put that back too.

Yes, it's a very manual process, and you need to prepare carefully for an update.

Yes, i updated editor, did the 9-10 and 10-11, I only backed up setlists, not individual patches. Went back and set globals to the 4 patches on top and 4 snaps on bottom, all patches were there, but all snapshot settings are gone. I read the forums for weeks before the update, thought I did it perfectly. Havent messed with global eq so much, so not worried about that. But i have months worth of very intricate snaps, and I feel sick!! Hoping maybe Line 6 can help when they re-open..

So you got your presets back, but not the snapshots they had? Never heard of that happening.

Is it possible your global settings have changed so you don't have snapshots displayed on any footswitches now, but they're still actually there? If you try to rename the current snapshot, does the right name show up as the default?

Also, make sure you reboot the Helix after importing your setlists so it can rebuild your presets again. If it is still an issue, open up a support ticket with Line 6 and try to contact them directly. They many be able to walk you through it to a resolution. 

Sure hope so, all the above has been done. Went back to 2.01 and reloaded. Again, all patches there, no snapshot settings. I am so pissed I don't know what to do. This is basically gonna be me starting over from scratch on 40+ patches. I hope Line 6 can help or I will never upgrade for any reason ever again!!

I know I'm repeating myself, but while you said "all the above has been done", you didn't address the specific questions I asked. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just making sure these things are covered.

- What is your Global Settings > Footswitches > Preset Mode Switches setting?

- If you try to rename the current snapshot, what name shows up as the default?

In any case, it sucks that this happened, and I hope it gets cleared up without you have to rebuild everything from scratch. If there's no resolution here, send your setlist backups to Support, see if they can learn anything.

global settings are set to preset/snap

I did not rename any snapshots, so they still read snap 1 2 3 4

just when you go from sanpshot to snapshot, no changes at all

All the right amps, peadls, etc are saved in the preset still, just no snap settings

I did not save individual patches when I updated, just the setlists. I did not save them until right before I updated but I have 3 setlists, and all 3 behave the same when I imported them

Thanks for trying to help,I have a ticket into support right now, maybe they can salvage or at least help fix this in the future..

It seems the setlist saves are the issue, but we shall see

Yes, i updated editor, did the 9-10 and 10-11, I only backed up setlists, not individual patches.

The fact that you didn't back up the individual patches might be the issue. I don't really understand why you wouldn't backup the individual presets as really, after the update, the patches being there for you to use would be of paramount importance. As screwy as these updates can be, I back every damned thing up.

Try searching your computer for all files matching your setlist names. It's at least conceivable that the Setlists you saved before updating were placed in a different folder, and you have in fact restored older setlists from the default folder from a previous (pre-snapshot) save.

Try searching your computer for all files matching your setlist names. It's at least conceivable that the Setlists you saved before updating were placed in a different folder, and you have in fact restored older setlists from the default folder from a previous (pre-snapshot) save.

I'm trying to understand this. Aren't the Snapshots data kept within the presets and aren't Setlists just a file that keeps track of the order of the patches and thus have no patch data included in them - just the names and the order of the patches? And if so, how does finding a newer setlist backup help the OP?

A setlist file contains all details of all presets, including snapshot data. Setlist files do not simply keep track of the preset order. Backing up individual presets within a setlist is not necessary as long as you back up the setlist, but it is prudent and often convenient.

Check the file sizes. A setlist file should be much larger than a preset file - approx. 128 times larger I suspect.

EDIT: I just checked file sizes. The above re: file sizes is not true so I don't know what's going on there but the setlist does contain all preset data.

• Upvote 1

A setlist file contains all details of all presets, including snapshot data. Setlist files do not simply keep track of the preset order. Backing up individual presets within a setlist is not necessary as long as you back up the setlist, but it is prudent and often convenient.

Check the file sizes. A setlist file should be much larger than a preset file - approx. 128 times larger I suspect.

EDIT: I just checked file sizes. The above re: file sizes is not true so I don't know what's going on there but the setlist does contain all preset data.

Seems kinda weird and confusing. Why then is it recommended that we reimport Presets and Setlists after a firmware update... or am I mistaken?

Are you saying that we can in fact just import the Setlists and be done and not bother with the Patches?

- Setlist files definitely do contain all the data in all their presets. They're not just a list of presets whose data you also have to save separately.

- The main reason to save presets as well as setlists is that if one preset gets trashed somehow and can't be imported, or it confuses Helix, you can import the individual presets that are still ok.

- The upgrade instructions don't say to import setlists and presets, just setlists and IRs.

- The main payload of setlist files is compressed. That's why they're not 128 times bigger than individual presets.

- ...which brings up another reason to save individual presets too: They're not compressed, so they're more or less human readable should you want to. You don't usually need to do that, but for instance, in this case, you could look at your saved preset files to see if there was snapshot data in them.

As you can see from the responses here, this isn't something people have run into, so once it's squared away, somehow, I don't think you need to be afraid to upgrade in the future. In any case, you need to be able to export and import your data, since you should always have backups in case of catastrophe, particularly if you gig your Helix.

FWIW, I agree that the most likely thing is that you're not actually importing the setlist files that have the snapshots. I'd follow up on amsdenj and silverhead's suggestions for investigating that.

@twystedriffs, if you want to post one or your setlist files here, or PM it to me if you don't want to do that, I'll see if I can figure anything out. No promises, at all, but it's worth a try. If you do PM it, please add a note here that you've done that; I never remember to look for PMs on this board, since I don't get or send many.

• Upvote 1

The setlist file contains all the presets, but the presets are compressed within the setlist file, so the setlist file will be smaller than all of the individual presets.

• Upvote 1

Seems kinda weird and confusing. Why then is it recommended that we reimport Presets and Setlists after a firmware update... or am I mistaken?

Are you saying that we can in fact just import the Setlists and be done and not bother with the Patches?

Saving individual presets and setlist is kind of a belt and suspenders thing. If you're saving a setlist, you don't really need to save individual presets. Saving the individual might be good if you have some extra special presets or something, but it's not really necessary if you have the whole setlist saved. I just back up my setlists now and import them after each update.

• Upvote 1

Saving individual presets and setlist is kind of a belt and suspenders thing. If you're saving a setlist, you don't really need to save individual presets. Saving the individual might be good if you have some extra special presets or something, but it's not really necessary if you have the whole setlist saved. I just back up my setlists now and import them after each update.

Wow, thanks. Good to know!

Like phil_m I use setlists to do restores after firmware updates. However, backups take up so little disk space that I think it is a good idea to save bundles, setlists, and presets. A bundle is a last resort if you end up with a corrupt setlist or forget to backup a setlist although I never use a bundle for a restore, it is only for emergencies. Saving presets is also great to have if you either have a corrupt setlist or fail to back up a setlist. I have also had setlists where the contents were not from the setlist the file was named after. Probably from user error on my part while saving them; that is also why I always save two copies of each setlist. Additionally, if you have one or more problem presets that are stopping a setlist from loading you can load the rest of the presets individually. If you accidentally delete, modify, or copy over a preset, having a backed up older version of individual presets are nice to have.

Back everything up in multiple formats (bundle, setlists, presets) locally and save it in the cloud, or on two computers. Sooner or later you will be glad you did. The longer you have your Helix the more bullet-proof you want your backup process to be. Losing years worth of work and your entire refined sound for the studio or stage is something no one wants to experience and it is easy to prevent.

• Upvote 1

Back to a previous comment...

Check your computer for OTHER copies of the setlists and check the file dates !!!     As someone mentioned you could be trying to restore an old setlist instead of the one you backed up before the update.  It's very easy to do.  

Did you back up your presets with the 2.01 Editor or did you download the 2.11 software and unpack it before you ran your backups? If you install the new version of 'Helix' app before backing up you could conceivably be backing up with a version of the Editor on your PC that does not match your firmware. This could be a non-issue because I am not even sure if you could run a backup with the 2.11 Editor against a Helix with 2.01 firmware installed. Just wondering if you had matching 2.01 versions of the Editor and firmware on your PC when you first created your backups?

You probably did this but until L6 changes the update procedure you have to leave the party with the same date you came with -- translation, make sure you create your backups with the version of the Editor that matches your current firmware before you install the next 'Helix' app (Editor, Updater, driver) on your computer.

Thanks guys. Yes I backed up correctly with the right version of editor. I went back to old version and then reinstall the new version and everything seems to be working now. However I still lost my snapshots because my original saves got corrupted somehow. It's weird it's saved all my blocks and the names of the patches, but just no snapshot settings. I guess the lesson is to do as I say and have many versions of backups just in case, not just set list but individuals as well. I have a lot of work ahead of me, but at least as I read each patch I can change the snapshot colors and I am replacing the Archon and a lot of my patches. It's just like getting a helix all over again!

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys. Yes I backed up correctly with the right version of editor. I went back to old version and then reinstall the new version and everything seems to be working now. However I still lost my snapshots because my original saves got corrupted somehow. It's weird it's saved all my blocks and the names of the patches, but just no snapshot settings. I guess the lesson is to do as I say and have many versions of backups just in case, not just set list but individuals as well. I have a lot of work ahead of me, but at least as I read each patch I can change the snapshot colors and I am replacing the Archon and a lot of my patches. It's just like getting a helix all over again!

Sorry to hear this but good attitude on the 'new' Helix thing. It might be worth sending one of your setlists to L6 customer support to see if they can figure out what went wrong or if perhaps the snapshots are still in the setlist backups and simply not restoring properly.

It does not sound like this is what happened in your case but I just wanted to mention the possibility to help other users avert potential problems with firmware updates. Another way I can see the backups having problems is that people, particularly those who rarely use the Editor to design presets, sometimes update their firmware but never get around to downloading and installing the latest version of the 'Helix' app (Editor, Updater, driver). When this is the case they could end up making backups with an even older mismatched version of the Editor then the version of the firmware they are upgrading from (in your case hypothetically that could have meant an Editor version prior to 2.01 that did not yet include snapshots and therefor would not back them up). Again, I don't know if an older mismatched version of the Editor will work with a newer/different version of the Editor, but if it does I can see having problems with the backups when you go to restore on your new version of the firmware. It comes down to making sure the Editor is the same version as your current firmware when you do your backups before an update.

If you reload your patches from a bundle, that overwrites the new factory patches with old ones from the bundle. If you reload from separate setlists instead, you can bring back just your own setlists, leaving the new factory patches alone.

• Upvote 1

If you reload your patches from a bundle, that overwrites the new factory patches with old ones from the bundle. If you reload from separate setlists instead, you can bring back just your own setlists, leaving the new factory patches alone.

learn something new every day, thx!  

I know but I don't really use the factory presets anymore.

I keep checking back to this thread, hoping to see an easy answer for the OP. It's a little scary to do an update, and hope you get all of your hard work back. I thought I lost my Variax settings last update. Luckily I was wrong. Losing all snapshots would be hard to swallow.

• 1 month later...

Just updated exactly as described, still lost all my snapshot settings. I use them extensively, and I can't imagine the amount of work I am gonna have to do to recreate them. Almost 50 patches usually with 4 snaps each. I waited till after my last gig of the year, But I am gonna be sick unless anyone has been able to figure this problem out? I can not imagine ever updating my helix again for any reason. Horrible update process and judging from all the other issues I see yall having with this, it certainly needs to be looked at more closely by the fine folks at Line 6. Been using their stuff since the very beginning, and this is my first real issue. But it is a big one. Maybe someone has a fix, and I am over reacting, but if not this makes me wanna toss the damn thing out the window. But I love it too much.. I went from 2.01 to 2.11, on a P.C., everything seemed to go so smooth, but nope, all my settings are just.. gone...

I have had the same issue. I have tried everything including saving the snapshots in several areas on my hard drive. I lose everything every time I update. And yes, I follow the instructions to a tee. I have been using (and building) computers since the mid 1980's so I am not a novice at this. It is quite frustrating.

Man I'm very sorry, I never did get mine back. Just had to rebuild and it was a long frustrating process. Granted it was cool but colors and a few new amp models here and there, but I would have rather done that leisurely. Next update I will be sending my set list to Line 6 or someone else that can open the files before I update to make sure the snapshots are saved. The guy that opened up for me said all the information was there except snapshots, and my understanding is it is supposed to save everything all together as there are no options for that. I am very paranoid about updating again in the future

I am not alone in hoping that Line 6's programming resources, currently working on the forthcoming updated Helix Editor and new Helix Native releases (announced for this Spring), will deliver an entirely overhauled and robust intelligent state-of-the-art Updater that finally solves the various firmware and preset update issues for all.

Based on nothing other than the numbering scheme and the absence of any mention in the pre-announcement details, I am not expecting such a new Updater for the February 2.20 firmware release. I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong.