Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Lost my snapshots, Update can't be worth this..

twystedriffs

This time I didn't even update anything. I simply connected my Helix to my Mac and opened the editor. The editor automatically put presets on my Helix. I shut Helix down without saving hoping to get my presets back - NO SUCH LUCK! This is getting quite frustrating. I'm beginning to think buying the Helix was a BIG Mistake!!!

This time I didn't even update anything. I simply connected my Helix to my Mac and opened the editor. The editor automatically put presets on my Helix. I shut Helix down without saving hoping to get my presets back - NO SUCH LUCK! This is getting quite frustrating. I'm beginning to think buying the Helix was a BIG Mistake!!!

As far as I know, there isn't any automated functionality in the Editor software to update/download upon connection. You may want to open a support ticket with Line 6 to get a solid resolution. 

Hmmm... That's not how the editor works... The editor is like a remote control for the Helix, and there's not any sort of automatic syncing (in fact, there's nothing for the editor to sync, because it's not like it's keeping a local copy of your presets on your Mac) or anything like that. Are you didn't inadvertently switch to a different setlist?

Not quite sure from your post if it is your snapshots that are gone or the presets themselves. Also, are your presets/snapshots available on the Helix but not on the Editor?  I get that you did not update anything. Were your presets/snapshots available prior to your last boot and are not now? If you did a global reset in between firmware upgrades you will have to restore your setlists/presets from backups made with the prior firmware version. The global reset automatically deletes all user setlists and replaces the Factory and Template setlists with the latest versions distributed with the new firmware version.  If you did not do a global reset after your last firmware upgrade that could explain a lot of issues with the Editor.

It seems the most common cause of issues with presets not restoring properly other than the occasional  bug in the L6 upgrade process are the following:

1. Backups were made with a version of the Editor that did not match the version of the firmware on the Helix at the time of the backup. It may be possible that having restored backups from a mismatched Editor at any point could conceivably impact future restores even if the current restore seems to be OK. That is pure speculation on my part but it may be possible that some issues from mismatched backup/restores may not show up until a later firmware upgrade. Always check to make sure your Editor and firmware versions are correctly matched before doing the backup prior to a firmware upgrade.
  2. A user error was made during the backup process or the backup file was corrupted somehow (back everything up twice and backup a bundle, setlists,  presets and IRs)
  3. User failed to do a global reset after a firmware upgrade before restoring their backed up presets from a prior version.
  4. User edited restored presets before doing a reboot and allowing the new presets to go through the rebuild process. Note: Always reboot after restoring presets from a prior firmware version. They need to go through the rebuild process which you can see happening on the screen while it is booting.
  5. User mistakenly restores the wrong backup files, not from the set they just made prior to the upgrade.
  6. Current version of the Editor and firmware are not matched properly. Check your versions!

Last but not least, I have great sympathy for anyone who may have experienced any problem with a restore, regardless of whether it is from user error or through no fault of their own. I, like others here look forward to L6 putting a better upgrade process in place.

I am not alone in hoping that Line 6's programming resources, currently working on the forthcoming updated Helix Editor and new Helix Native releases (announced for this Spring), will deliver an entirely overhauled and robust intelligent state-of-the-art Updater that finally solves the various firmware and preset update issues for all.

Based on nothing other than the numbering scheme and the absence of any mention in the pre-announcement details, I am not expecting such a new Updater for the February 2.20 firmware release. I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong.

Absolutely.  This update process is horrible and needs addressing ASAP.

-

i've lost snapshots before but only when i forget to press 'save' on the preset that i am building (and then flick to another) that is annoyng enough as it is!

I've done this so many times.  I like the way the HD500X worked, any changes made were not lost until you turned the machine off, you could go to another patch then back to the one you'd edited without losing any changes. 

-

Hmmm... That's not how the editor works... The editor is like a remote control for the Helix, and there's not any sort of automatic syncing (in fact, there's nothing for the editor to sync, because it's not like it's keeping a local copy of your presets on your Mac) or anything like that. Are you didn't inadvertently switch to a different setlist?

I've done this so many times.  I like the way the HD500X worked, any changes made were not lost until you turned the machine off, you could go to another patch then back to the one you'd edited without losing any changes. 

-

That isn't necessarily how the HD500X works, at least not connected to the editor... It does retain changes made on a preset if you power down and power back up without saving, but if you switch presets without saving changing, any changes you've made to the preset will be lost. The Helix doesn't maintain preset changes through a power cycle because its system architecture won't allow it, but not having changes saved unless you save the preset when you change presets it pretty much how all multi-FX devices work. The only ones that offer something different that I know of are the M13, M9 and M5 with their autosave feature.

If you're talking about using the editor, I do believe you could flip between presets in the editor without saving them. I think the way the HD editor works is that it maintains a local buffer of your patches. So you have to send the saved preset to the device when you're done. Like I said above, the Helix editor is really a remote control.

I checked all my presets and set lists everything was gone. Back before Christmas this happened. When it did I created a new patch including 4 snapshots. The patch was called "stratosphere". This last time I connected my helix to my MacBook Pro I was checking to see if I could simply save my patches - this time not intending to update firmware. When I connected the helix and opened the editor "stratosphere" showed up in the editor AND on my helix. I never even imported or exported anything. I immediately disconnected the helix, but the patch was still on it. I powered down hoping to get my patches back, but when I powered back up "stratosphere" was the only patch on the helix.

Prior to connecting helix to the mac "stratosphere was not on the helix. I had deleted it back in December. The only place it existed was in the editor - until I connected the helix to the mac. Very frustrating.

I'm going to delete the editor and redownload it to see if that helps, but I'm really tired of losing my patches. So much so that I won't create more than 1 or 2 patches because I hate for all my work to simply evaporate.

Not quite sure from your post if it is your snapshots that are gone or the presets themselves. Also, are your presets/snapshots available on the Helix but not on the Editor? I get that you did not update anything. Were your presets/snapshots available prior to your last boot and are not now? If you did a global reset in between firmware upgrades you will have to restore your setlists/presets from backups made with the prior firmware version. The global reset automatically deletes all user setlists and replaces the Factory and Template setlists with the latest versions distributed with the new firmware version. If you did not do a global reset after your last firmware upgrade that could explain a lot of issues with the Editor.

It seems the most common cause of issues with presets not restoring properly other than the occasional bug in the L6 upgrade process are the following:

• Backups were made with a version of the Editor that did not match the version of the firmware on the Helix at the time of the backup. It may be possible that having restored backups from a mismatched Editor at any point could conceivably impact future restores even if the current restore seems to be OK. That is pure speculation on my part but it may be possible that some issues from mismatched backup/restores may not show up until a later firmware upgrade. Always check to make sure your Editor and firmware versions are correctly matched before doing the backup prior to a firmware upgrade.
  • A user error was made during the backup process or the backup file was corrupted somehow (back everything up twice and backup a bundle, setlists, and presets)
  • User failed to do a global reset after a firmware upgrade before restoring their backed up presets from a prior version.
  • User edited restored presets before doing a reboot and allowing the new presets to go through the rebuild process. Note: Always reboot after restoring presets from a prior firmware version. They need to go through the rebuild process which you can see happening on the screen while it is booting.
  • User mistakenly restores the wrong backup files, not from the set they just made prior to the upgrade.
  • Current version of the Editor and firmware are not matched properly. Check your versions!
Last but not least, I have great sympathy for anyone who may have experienced any problem with a restore, regardless of whether it is from user error or through no fault of their own. I, like others here look forward to L6 putting a better upgrade process in place.

Actually, I am a stickler about following directions to a tee when it comes to computers. Also, I have updated several times since I got the helix (which was right when it was released). This problem has only occurred with the last 2 firmware/editor updates. The last time I updated (2.12) I saved presets, set lists, and bundles. I included the date as the title so there would be no mistake as to which file to bring back. But the problem continues.

I plan on trying one more time tonight by replacing the editor. Right now, in order to keep my presets I have to take a picture of all my settings in order to dial them in again. I don't want to lose these presets because I have a gig this weekend. This is a lot of trouble to troubleshoot software (or hardware) that should have already been fixed prior to providing a download.

Actually, I am a stickler about following directions to a tee when it comes to computers. Also, I have updated several times since I got the helix (which was right when it was released). This problem has only occurred with the last 2 firmware/editor updates. The last time I updated (2.12) I saved presets, set lists, and bundles. I included the date as the title so there would be no mistake as to which file to bring back. But the problem continues.

I plan on trying one more time tonight by replacing the editor. Right now, in order to keep my presets I have to take a picture of all my settings in order to dial them in again. I don't want to lose these presets because I have a gig this weekend. This is a lot of trouble to troubleshoot software (or hardware) that should have already been fixed prior to providing a download.

Have you opened up a support ticket at all over any of this? Needless to say, what your describing is not typical... I have had a few hiccups with the editor in the past, but nothing like what you're describing. In any case, Line 6 can only fix problems they are made aware of, and it's not necessarily a safe assumption that just because you're experiencing something and wrote a post about it here, that Line 6 is aware of it. Nor can you assume that just because you're experiencing it, others are to. It really would be best for both you and Line 6 if you opened a support ticket about these types of issues.

That isn't necessarily how the HD500X works, at least not connected to the editor... It does retain changes made on a preset if you power down and power back up without saving, but if you switch presets without saving changing, any changes you've made to the preset will be lost. The Helix doesn't maintain preset changes through a power cycle because its system architecture won't allow it, but not having changes saved unless you save the preset when you change presets it pretty much how all multi-FX devices work. The only ones that offer something different that I know of are the M13, M9 and M5 with their autosave feature.

If you're talking about using the editor, I do believe you could flip between presets in the editor without saving them. I think the way the HD editor works is that it maintains a local buffer of your patches. So you have to send the saved preset to the device when you're done. Like I said above, the Helix editor is really a remote control.

Sorry, yes I did mean while using the editor, I couldn't use that tiny B&W screen. I wish the Helix worked that way as well, editor and machine, can't really see a downside to it.

-

Line 6's existing firmware update and preset backup, import, update methods have proven to be a mine field of frustration for many Helix users.

Although we're still not yet there, this Spring's anticipated release of Helix Native and an updated/overhauled version of Helix Editor may be precursors to a modern state-of-the-art well integrated and intelligent Helix updater.

I am not alone in hoping that Line 6's programming resources, currently working on the forthcoming updated Helix Editor and new Helix Native releases (announced for this Spring), will deliver an entirely overhauled and robust intelligent state-of-the-art Updater that finally solves the various firmware and preset update issues for all.

Based on nothing other than the numbering scheme and the absence of any mention in the pre-announcement details, I am not expecting such a new Updater for the February 2.20 firmware release. I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong.

"Intelligent!You meen foolproof? Right?

Because most people have no issues whatsoever with updates

I have never failed and if something have gone wrong it have alöways been my own fault as i have missed to save something important or havent put back the right IR to the right location or havent changed globals to what it was before i updated.

But if we could do the update and save globals before the update and then just reload global settings again would be cool..

And of course a better IR management but it isnt that much work to rename and number those as there is programs that fixes that..

I did delete the editor and re-downloaded the helix editor. That was the problem. Must have been a corrupt file. Thanks to everyone's input. It took awhile, I've been real busy, but through reading suggestions I was able to isolate the problem down to the editor. Thanks again everybody!

Win 7 here also.  Frequent crashes when making changes on the helix (rack) itself while the editor is open as well.  Active/inactive blocks incorrectly displayed in the editor after switching snapshots using Helix controller. 

I'm hoping for major changes in the editor software, so much about the looks and functionality that I dislike.  HD500X editor was way better IMO, this looks and feels like something written for a tablet then ported.  Fingers firmly crossed.

-

• 2 years later...