Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Fremen, firmware updates, jazz tone

joolsey77

Hi guys

Apologies for three questions in one topic, but here goes;

1) I'm on firmware v2.01 and I just bought Fremen's pack. Should I load Fremen's pack frist, then apply the firmware update, or the other way around, or is there no difference?

2) I've had Helix for about 4 months and generally like it but struggle to get a good jazz tone. I'm currently using a US Double Nrm. This is modelled on a Fender tube amp I've played through, on it's own, no effects, just plugged in it sounds amazing. But through the Helix with my archtop Ibanez this amp sounds very wimpy and almost unusable. I've ended up adding a seperate EQ (Cali Q) just to boost it up to make a decent tone. I must be doing something wrong here but I can't find a decent straight amp jazz tone on the Helix. Any advice appreciated.

3) Simple question - i need a .rar unarchiver for Fremen's pack - one without loads of adware etc. Any advice?

Thanks all, this is a great forum. BTW - my Jazz Clean is attached if it's useful to anyone.

Jools

Jazz Clean.zip

I've had Helix for about 4 months and generally like it but struggle to get a good jazz tone. I'm currently using a US Double Nrm. This is modelled on a Fender tube amp I've played through, on it's own, no effects, just plugged in it sounds amazing. But through the Helix with my archtop Ibanez this amp sounds very wimpy and almost unusable. I've ended up adding a seperate EQ (Cali Q) just to boost it up to make a decent tone. I must be doing something wrong here but I can't find a decent straight amp jazz tone on the Helix. Any advice appreciated.

Yeah, it's not as easy as you would expect. I play some straight ahead jazz gigs (in addition to pop/rock cover bands) and use an Epiphone Sheraton (an ES-335 type guitar) with flatwound .012s. I spent a couple of hours trying to get a decent jazz sound and I wound up using the Cali IV Rhythm 1 amp model with a 2x12 Interstate cab sim with a 160 Ribbon mic (the Fender Twin model didn't work for me either). Had to do some low cut on the cab. This is not necessarily the be all, end all jazz tone and it might not work for you at all for various reasons. I'd suggest you keep trying and combine different amp, cab and mic models. I think there may very well be a better jazz sound for me in there too; I've hardly exhausted all my options. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but I believe your sound is in there somewhere!

I think for me, the missing part is the resonance of a Jazz guitar sound.  It seems to kind of go away on the Helix and I don't know why.  I don't really think a Jazz guitar sound has to be dark necessarily, just round and mellow but can still have highs.  George Benson's sound comes to mind. I haven't gotten around to playing with the idea much but i think some of the acoustic guitar IRs in front of the amp block may help.  I just have to find some time to experiment.

Maybe just the Studio Preamp as a gain stage? ] 

​yes some ppl have opted for that and like it.  Its still a tube device though. And adds coloration - pleasant "warmth" or not. 

simply adding pure gain - whether by block or simply adjusting the gain of any stage in the chain ( speakers/EQ/output etc ) gives 100% clean gain.

​I find the the Studio Preamp colours the JTV acoustic models. - and most HELIX users would say that one should avoid any amp model for the acoustics. just use EQ and effects.

​Having said what I did about valve preamps etc adding coloration I've been playing a bit ( only a bit ) with the Mesa IV parametric EQ - which I am guessing has tubes in its circuit modelling 

haven't settled on a final archtop preset  solution yet.   partly cos I'm enjoying playing with the Tele and other solid body models these days :)

I suspect that a lot of the issue with jazz tones is the monitoring system and the level. If you're playing through a Twin Reverb with 2x12"s and even a bit of volume level, its going to be pretty loud and full. If you use the same amp model in Helix through headphones or a small FRFR at low volume its never going to sound or feel the same. If you move the air at the same loudness level, then you might have a better chance of reproducing the tone and feel.

Have to say I find my best tones without using any amp or amp+cab models. Do use the Cabs though they do provide a nice colouration. I play Helix direct into L6 L3T speakers.

If you use the amp models there is always an underlying buzz/hiss when you pick on a string and I just hate that since I am chasing pure clean tone for Shadow music.

My personal preference for a "jazz tone" is Tele/neck PU (tone rolled off to 5-6) using the Marshall JTM45 or the Matchless model with a little room reverb. The JTM45 is a little darker for the more "traditional" tone. Matchless is a little more lively. 

• 2 years later...
On 12/27/2016 at 9:03 PM, joolsey77 said:

Hi guys

Apologies for three questions in one topic, but here goes;

1) I'm on firmware v2.01 and I just bought Fremen's pack. Should I load Fremen's pack frist, then apply the firmware update, or the other way around, or is there no difference?

2) I've had Helix for about 4 months and generally like it but struggle to get a good jazz tone. I'm currently using a US Double Nrm. This is modelled on a Fender tube amp I've played through, on it's own, no effects, just plugged in it sounds amazing. But through the Helix with my archtop Ibanez this amp sounds very wimpy and almost unusable. I've ended up adding a seperate EQ (Cali Q) just to boost it up to make a decent tone. I must be doing something wrong here but I can't find a decent straight amp jazz tone on the Helix. Any advice appreciated.

3) Simple question - i need a .rar unarchiver for Fremen's pack - one without loads of adware etc. Any advice?

Thanks all, this is a great forum. BTW - my Jazz Clean is attached if it's useful to anyone.

Jools

Jazz Clean.zip

You probably found solution, but if not here is my take on how you do good jazz tone on helix