Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Trying to record Helix and backing track to video

agbiggs

I've never really recorded anything before, so please bear with my ignorance!

I've just signed up for Artist Works online guitar lessons, one part of which is that you send videos of yourself playing and the instructor (in this case the amazing Paul Gilbert) views it and sends you suggestions. 

I'm using Helix as my soundcard. I can call up my Logitech video camera and if I play the video picks up my guitar through Helix just fine. However, if I'm also playing a backing track -- say, through Windows Media Player or Audacity -- I can hear it just fine through my computer speakers, but the video camera doesn't pick up that audio, so it sounds like I'm playing by myself.

Is there an easy workaround for this? Any help appreciated -- thanks!

Hi there
When I'm recording a more 'formal' video, I record the guitar into Cubase. Depending on the track I will strike the muted strings or use the count-in from Cubase or a track. I record video onto a Gopro. Once finished I mix the track down and export it. The video is edited in Final Cut Pro X and I use the percussive strikes or count-ins to line up the video from Cubase with the audio track the Gopro has captured, and then I mute the Gopro audio.

Set your computer audio output to Helix channel 1/2. That will get your backing track from your computer to the Helix through USB. You can adjust the level of USB 1/2 in global settings ins/outs. 

Thanks! Do I set this in Control Panel? (As I said, I've never done this before!)

I am not sure exactly where you set it up since I only connect mine to a Mac. But yes it should be in control panel, and where ever you control sound/speaker settings. If you have the Helix drivers installed on your PC, you should see the Helix as an option instead of external speakers. 

Hi there

When I'm recording a more 'formal' video, I record the guitar into Cubase. Depending on the track I will strike the muted strings or use the count-in from Cubase or a track. I record video onto a Gopro. Once finished I mix the track down and export it. The video is edited in Final Cut Pro X and I use the percussive strikes or count-ins to line up the video from Cubase with the audio track the Gopro has captured, and then I mute the Gopro audio.

THIS is the way.

I think I found a solution: a program called Bandicam (www.bandicam.com) which allows for the camera to have multiple audio inputs, so you can record your guitar from Helix along with any backing track and have it all go to the webcam's video file output. I just tested it out and it works fine. It's geared toward the video game crowd who like to record themselves, so you have to change in the settings to record from a camera rather than from your computer's screen, but that was easy. You need to balance the two audio signals by ear first, but that's not a big deal if you're looking for a rough-and-ready video capture rather than something super-professional. It costs $39, though there's a trial version you can try out. For me, it seems like a pretty good plug-and-play solution for making guitar videos against a backing track. Thanks to everyone for their help. I hope this is helpful to anyone else looking for the same solution that I was.

I think I found a solution: a program called Bandicam (www.bandicam.com) which allows for the camera to have multiple audio inputs, so you can record your guitar from Helix along with any backing track and have it all go to the webcam's video file output. I just tested it out and it works fine. It's geared toward the video game crowd who like to record themselves, so you have to change in the settings to record from a camera rather than from your computer's screen, but that was easy. You need to balance the two audio signals by ear first, but that's not a big deal if you're looking for a rough-and-ready video capture rather than something super-professional. It costs $39, though there's a trial version you can try out. For me, it seems like a pretty good plug-and-play solution for making guitar videos against a backing track. Thanks to everyone for their help. I hope this is helpful to anyone else looking for the same solution that I was.

Thanks for the tip on the software!