Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Edit compatiblity with 4K screens

CrazyEddieNL

As far as I can see your problem isn't Line 6 but Windows. You will find lots of programs that have the same problem. Bet all the plugins for your DAW if you use one have the same problem. A 4K monitor only makes sense if the screen is large enough to let you take advantage of the extra resolution. A decent operating system would have some form of scaling to help you with this. It's your monitor and your OS not Line 6. My Mac laptop at full resolution is too hard to read stuff on, so they give you a batch of options to scale everything to your liking. You might find that you will be stuck having to do that - adjust your resolution to something less than 4K. But really that means 4K is more resolution than you need! For that screen size. We will see 8K TVs appearing next year. It's crazy - you will need a wall sized TV to tell the difference between that and 4K. But that's marketing for you! No one makes 8K content!?!? Get used to everything you see scaled to look OK.

Every year these screens get sharper and my eyes get worse.

I can tell the difference in a big way with my iPad and my iPhone for sure... but with my Mac...? I ended up with the non-retina 13" last time I bought because I couldn't see the difference... literally... in normal use.

I'm holding out for infinity-K TVs.

As far as I can see your problem isn't Line 6 but Windows. You will find lots of programs that have the same problem.

I would say it is a Line 6 issue as yes there are lots of programs that have the same problem but they appear to be in the minority (the Helix editor is the only software on my Surface where it is an issue).  So it is possible to write the software with options for this scenario, for example I use Eagle CAD and they have added an option to increase the size of icons within the program’s settings.

Below is what I get on my Surface laptop, and changing the scaling on Windows makes no difference to the display or fonts.  It is frustrating as it means I cannot use it without changing the resolution of the screen each time I want to use the editor, a pain which also makes the menu bar much larger and taking up screen estate.

I imagine (and hope!) the Line 6 will sort it out for higher resolution screens as they are not going away, quite the opposite.

10s9fmq.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As far as I can see your problem isn't Line 6 but Windows. You will find lots of programs that have the same problem. Bet all the plugins for your DAW if you use one have the same problem. A 4K monitor only makes sense if the screen is large enough to let you take advantage of the extra resolution. A decent operating system would have some form of scaling to help you with this. It's your monitor and your OS not Line 6. My Mac laptop at full resolution is too hard to read stuff on, so they give you a batch of options to scale everything to your liking. You might find that you will be stuck having to do that - adjust your resolution to something less than 4K. But really that means 4K is more resolution than you need! For that screen size. We will see 8K TVs appearing next year. It's crazy - you will need a wall sized TV to tell the difference between that and 4K. But that's marketing for you! No one makes 8K content!?!? Get used to everything you see scaled to look OK.

Their app doesn't support scaling. I submitted a ticket because Helix Edit is the 'only' application I cannot use on a laptop with a 3200x resolution.

The response to my ticket was: Hi,

I'm sorry about the trouble with Helix editor. Unfortunately it does not scale up properly with some larger graphics cards. We hope to have a fix for this in future releases.

Thanks,