Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Copy and Paste All Commands

cchimi

I just tried copying and pasting all commands from one patch to another.  The commands themselves seem to have pasted fine, but the custom labels I had created for them (to show under their respective footswitches) don't seem to have been part of the paste operation.  Each affected footswitch now is labeled "Bank/PC".

Is there a way to get the custom labels to be part of the copy and paste operation?

Thanks for any advice.

Carl 

I've done this by manually copying and pasting the JSON text in the .hlx patch files. It's not for the faint of heart, but it's the only way I've found to copy more than one command at a time between patches - and, at least in the firmware versions I've tried, the only way to maintain custom colors and labels.

If you try this, be careful about the syntax or it won't load properly - watch for extra or omitted commas and {} braces.

For example, this is a piece of code representing four footswitch commands that I copied between presets to send MIDI notes to a DAW to select songs and control live click tracks:

"commandFS3" : {
        "@fs_customcolor" : 3,
        "@velocity" : 2,
        "@fs_ledcolor" : 462860,
        "@fs_enabled" : false,
        "@command" : 5,
        "@channel" : 1,
        "@fs_customlabel" : "Pause:Play",
        "@fs_momentary" : true,
        "@pending" : 1,
        "@noteoff" : 1,
        "@fs_label" : "Note",
        "@note" : 13
      },
      "commandFS2" : {
        "@fs_customcolor" : 6,
        "@velocity" : 1,
        "@fs_customlabel" : "Start",
        "@note" : 12
      },
      "commandFS5" : {
        "@fs_customcolor" : 5,
        "@velocity" : 4,
        "@channel" : 0,
        "@fs_customlabel" : "Down",
        "@note" : 15
      },
      "commandFS4" : {
        "@fs_customcolor" : 5,
        "@velocity" : 3,
        "@fs_customlabel" : "Up",
        "@note" : 14
      }

On the preset that you are trying to copy hit the save button then turn to control knob where it says it will be saved, save it to a spot where there is no preset currently and hit save again you will copy the entire preset and all of its settings and labels and all I have done this for several things like making capo presets for use with my variax and set up that I really liked and wanted to try different amps with like when the PRS archon came out I have a preset that is set up the way I like it and wanted to try the different amps.

Yes, that copies the entire preset.  But I already have presets built.  Then, let's say I add a MIDI command to one of the presets and assign it to a footswitch and label it (e.g. QLAB STOP).  I then want the same footswitch to look and work the same on ten other already created presets.  I can easily copy everything about that footswitch's MIDI assignment EXCEPT its label.  (It's possible the switch's ring color also doesn't copy, but I'm colorblind and don't really care about those colors.)

It's not a huge big deal, but it does seem like an easily fixed oversight.

On the preset that you are trying to copy hit the save button then turn to control knob where it says it will be saved, save it to a spot where there is no preset currently and hit save again you will copy the entire preset and all of its settings and labels and all I have done this for several things like making capo presets for use with my variax and set up that I really liked and wanted to try different amps with like when the PRS archon came out I have a preset that is set up the way I like it and wanted to try the different amps.

This is the way to do it. It makes an EXACT duplicate of the preset in a different location. Then you can rename and tweak it as necessary. 

Not to be sarcastic, but that is the way to do something else.  I wasn't asking how to make a copy of a preset.  To be clear, I was asking about copying a command from one EXISTING preset to another EXISTING preset, and why when you do that the custom label created for that command doesn't copy along with it.

I know how to make a copy of a preset.

I know how to copy a command (or ALL commands) from one preset to another.

I just don't see my custom labels copying when I copy those commands.

Imagine you have already built 50 presets on the Helix, and then decide to use a sequencer to play backing tracks.  You need four footswitches on each preset for these sequencer controls: PREV SONG, NEXT SONG, STOP, PLAY.  Each switch has the associated MIDI command assigned to it.  All 50 presets should have those same commands on the same footswitches, labeled in the same way.  On the Helix it's easy to set those four switches up with their commands and labels for the first preset.  But if you then copy and paste those commands to the next preset (which is easy) you have to retype all of the labels - four times for all 50 presets. 

The commands copy over, but not their respective labels.  And that seems like an oversight to me, unless I am just not seeing some obvious way to make it happen.

Actually, I'm thinking this behavior may be intentional. If you consider another scenario where you are pasting the All Commands from the Cmd Ctr to another preset where the same footswitches might already include existing Bypass or Controller assignments and customized FS labels - I think in this case you might NOT want the Paste All action to replace the existing custom labels on those footswitches. So, in this scenario, I suppose you could consider the Paste All behavior as "correct" since it does not destroy any existing customized settings (it just adds the pasted Cmd Ctr assignments, and keeps the Bypass/Controller along with their existing customized labels on common footswitches).

That makes sense.  I only got my Helix two or three days ago, and at most have one command assigned per footswitch.  Still, I think it should be an option to let the labels copy over with the command, as it can lead to a lot of seemingly unnecessary work.

Since you've only had your Helix a few days maybe you've not made 50 yet and could just make a template preset for this particular thing you described with play and stop buttons for Midi and just dial up that template each time when you start to make a preset. And for the ones you've already made you can just copy all the other blocks that you've done To the template preset

That would work great, and I appreciate the advice.  But I actually moved quickly the first day and created the guitar/tones/effects presets I knew I needed, based on presets I'd developed for my HD500.  Then I started assigning MIDI commands to footswitches, at which point I realized that copying the command does not copy the label.

Oh well.  I did end up first copying each command and then each label.  At least the Editor program proved helpful with that.  But it was more work than it had to be, in my opinion.

All that said, in general I am really loving this Helix.  Just the different available inputs alone make life easier, not to mention the MIDI-over-USB.

And I appreciate how helpful people have been on this forum.

Carl