Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why is Trails set to Off as standard?

tagmusenmagnus1

Some of my presets have an 'always on' delay and/or verb so those get trails turned off. Ostensibly, it frees a minor amount of DSP. I'd either be turning it on 50% of the time, or turn it off 50% of the time. Either default will not serve all the people all the time. Maybe they flipped a coin.

Really, you should be able to save named presets for each block type, and choose one of them as the default.

That said, I agree that it's unusual to want trails off, on would be the more common setting, and a better default for me.

I'll add my voice for trails on as the default.  Definitely seems more intuitive to me considering delay and reverb are intended to emulate spaces, and real spaces don't squelch sound abruptly.  I always turn trails on, unless I forget - sometimes those are on page two (or three) of an effect and I forget to set them to on.

This is kind of a minor thing to pick at, isn't it? I mean, the option is there... I think having tails off as the default is the most intuitive since that is how most real pedals work (at least in their default state). You turn off the pedal, and the effect stops. Really, there has to be default settings for everything, and it's possible that half of the people think it should be one thing, the other something else. As Spikey said, just be glad you have the option to change it.

I would prefer to see people talking about how to resolve the issue with trails glitching if certain parameters are switched between snapshots, or how to make them work between presets rather than worrying about what their default is.  The default is a trivial matter when compared with more significant issues regarding trails and their operation when switching between snapshots or presets. Overall I find them eminently usable but it seems there are bigger wins to be had regarding trails than adjusting their default state.

Really, you should be able to save named presets for each block type, and choose one of them as the default.

Quoting myself, that's not an unimportant nitpick request, it's a huge convenience, and it completely solves this issue, regardless of what setting you want personally.

• Upvote 1

That said, I agree that it's unusual to want trails off, on would be the more common setting, and a better default for me.

Have to agree, this is the bigger idea here and one that has been bouncing around and requested for a while. It would not only address the OP's request to change the trails On/Off default setting but add some very powerful functionality. The ability to save and name the version of the effect/amp/etc. block you want with all your custom parameters and be able to select that block while building the preset would be easier and more flexible than the current method of having to find a preset with your custom settings and copying and pasting specific blocks.  If you do implement 'custom' blocks another feature that can be very powerful is to have a 'Global/Per Block' setting within a custom block (not in the global settings) that allows all parameter changes in the block to be reflected in any preset that contains a custom block that has the 'Global' parameter enabled.

Note: Just wanted to mention that you can create a template right now with most of your favorite block settings and copy that as your foundation when building a new preset but the custom block approach above would be much more powerful.

Yep. If Helix were a house, this one is like a little bit of touch-up paint on the inside of a closet. :)

Kind of more like a couple arguing about which side of the room a chair looks better in...

I do realize that there are specific scenarios where it is desired, but I just dont get it. 

Do any of you prefer it that way (for all Delays and Reverbs)  - and why?

I don't get it either. And after thinking a little bit about it, I can only come up with one scenario where no trails would be useful, and that would be during a moment when silence is wanted. So delay, maybe. But with reverb, a sudden cutout would sound unnatural. What other scenarios would no trails be good for?

So I prefer trails on. Sometimes I'll use a delay or reverb in a parallel path and when I want the effect shut off I'll cut the input signal for that path instead of toggling the effect. This has the effect of producing trails even if the trails parameter is off.

.... and anyone could submit an Ideascale request where this feature could be considered and prioritized among all official feature requests ......

It is done, but as some say in this thread it is a quite minor thing, so it doesn't get much attention. 

The thing is that it doesn't take more than just change one value in the code, so line wont have to use several hours to fix this... Just do it :D