Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix numeric output volume

CBTL

You should include the link in this topic, would help get more votes. The pinned Ideascale topic is always a good spot for a link as well.

Don't know how lol I'm a bit useless at this sort of stuff 😕

It's too easy to bump and forget where it goes. So for that reason, I set it at max all the time. Best signal transmission, and he adjusts the gain at the board.

Seriously, just max it out when you play live and forget about it.

It's too easy to bump and forget where it goes. So for that reason, I set it at max all the time. Best signal transmission, and he adjusts the gain at the board.

Seriously, just max it out when you play live and forget about it.

Hamm, I only play at home straight into a tech 21 power engine! I would blow the windows out!

Hamm, I only play at home straight into a tech 21 power engine! I would blow the windows out!

Doesn't Power Engine have a volume control?

In any case, when I'm playing in my office direct to my FRFR, I use the master then. Just not live. There I go straight to the board and give him all I got.

I am also so annoyed by the master volume that I set it to max at all times. I am running into a mixer, though, so I have secondary gain adjustment available.

It's not just Helix, but, to me, any device that has such a master volume. Synths, everything. If it's going to a mixer, I send the full output level. Always have.

Doesn't Power Engine have a volume control?

In any case, when I'm playing in my office direct to my FRFR, I use the master then. Just not live. There I go straight to the board and give him all I got.

It certainly does. I leave the power engine at around 8 o'clock and the helix at around 10 o'clock. That gives me a nice house friendly volume. The slightest turn of the helix volume say even to 12 o'clock rockets it through the roof. It messes with my head when I'm setting volume to play along to backing tracks. If the helix master isn't exactly the same every time there all out!

If a numeric display were to be implemented, it must be highly legible, regardless if a pure integer scaled value, for example, 0 - 100, or a decimal scaled value of 0.1 - 10. Nor would it be necessary to remain prominently displayed at all times. For instance, it could appear in a prominent size and remain displayed as such for 2 seconds after changing the Main Vol position, and then perhaps persist in a smaller size font at a different location on the screen (perhaps the upper right region of the display).

Helix's Main Volume knob's engraved score mark serves as an easy glance indicator. Although it is a relative indicator, subject to the various level settings of the Block Elements comprising the signal chain(s) routed to associated output Block(s), most of the time my Main Vol is at 12 o'clock. This works great with a pair of Yamaha DXR10 FRFR monitors (also set at 12 o'clock postion and for Line Level). There's still plenty of headroom.

When using other powered Monitor Speakers (with different input sensitivity levels), or, when Helix's Main Amp Outs are feeding a Guitar Amp's FX Returns I still tend to leave Helix's Main Vol at noon. I'll make any gain staging adjustments on those other powered monitor speakers or Guitar Amps (as powered cabs), whenever possible.

The point is, when I glance down and see Helix's engraved mark at the noon position, I know immediately it's set properly (unless I have intentionally alterted the setting for good reason).