Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FRFR cab options. Price vs Quality in the UK

CBTL

At the moment I play through a Tec21 power engine which I think is pretty transparent but I don't think is full range. Iv been trying to look at FRFR options but have no idea what to look for. These days I'm a home guitarist and don't have huge amounts to spend. Can anyone give me a guide with say low through medium to high priced cabs and there benifits and down falls. Thanks guys

Ok, I'm not in UK. But I think there are some things to think about. I use a pair of Behringer B112. A lot of people will say that's not a great system, but I have it well EQ'd and it sounds great live and puts out plenty of sound to compete on stage and the drummer often say how well he can hear me on stage.

Now, what I want to point out is that system doesn't sound anywhere near as good when I have a friend over and we play at lounge room level. So I think if you are mostly playing quiet ( by band standards) you really need to be thinking what sounds good at home level. And I suspect that playing through your stereo (if it's a decent one) with some careful global EQ is going to be as good as any FRFR solution intended for stage volumes. I don't think this is just Fletcher Munsen curves either. I think speakers need to operate at the kind of level they were designed for. So I'm just suggesting that one mans FRFR is not necessarily home man's FRFR! If you get me?

Ok, I'm not in UK. But I think there are some things to think about. I use a pair of Behringer B112. A lot of people will say that's not a great system, but I have it well EQ'd and it sounds great live and puts out plenty of sound to compete on stage and the drummer often say how well he can hear me on stage.

Now, what I want to point out is that system doesn't sound anywhere near as good when I have a friend over and we play at lounge room level. So I think if you are mostly playing quiet ( by band standards) you really need to be thinking what sounds good at home level. And I suspect that playing through your stereo (if it's a decent one) with some careful global EQ is going to be as good as any FRFR solution intended for stage volumes. I don't think this is just Fletcher Munsen curves either. I think speakers need to operate at the kind of level they were designed for. So I'm just suggesting that one mans FRFR is not necessarily home man's FRFR! If you get me?

That makes complete sense. I do play at a reasonable volume! I will take a db level! Iv just been reading about Alto TS212 which seem like good value! I could lay it like a monitor.

Price = quality = increased tonal bliss usually. For an FRFR only Id look hard at the Atomic CLR. For an all around great sounding amp/FRFR for Helix Id look hard at the Line 6 Firehawk 1500 (what I own). I use a pair of Mackie HR-824 flat studio monitors (for recording/playback) along side the firehawk and both are "flat" and neutral tone wise (meaning I dont have to tweak settings on Helix between the two).

I'm very pleased with my JBL EON 612 for a reasonably priced single powered monitor solution. It is definitely full range... I had to roll off the high frequencies, since it initially sounded a bit crisp on the cleans and fizzy on the medium to high gain patches. It sounds good at any volume; practicing at home, rehearsing or gigging. You might want to look at a pair of EON 610's if you want stereo monitoring.

Price = quality = increased tonal bliss usually. For an FRFR only Id look hard at the Atomic CLR. For an all around great sounding amp/FRFR for Helix Id look hard at the Line 6 Firehawk 1500 (what I own). I use a pair of Mackie HR-824 flat studio monitors (for recording/playback) along side the firehawk and both are "flat" and neutral tone wise (meaning I dont have to tweak settings on Helix between the two).

Unfortunately both way out of my pricing. It probably won't be till the summer any how. I'm off to St Lucia in June and all my hard earned cash is going on that. Maybe i could sell a kidney? Any takers? I'm generally fit and healthy and don't really drink. Bids starting at £1on a 7 day auction!

I'm very pleased with my JBL EON 612 for a reasonably priced single powered monitor solution. It is definitely full range... I had to roll off the high frequencies, since it initially sounded a bit crisp on the cleans and fizzy on the medium to high gain patches. It sounds good at any volume; practicing at home, rehearsing or gigging. You might want to look at a pair of EON 610's if you want stereo monitoring.

That's more in my price range! Can they be lay on there side like monitor?

Yes, they are designed to do that as well as sit on top of a stand. There is a slick DSP that will EQ the speaker for use as a floor monitor, on a stand by itself, on a stand with a sub and on a stand with enhanced speech projection. It can connect with a smart phone or tablet using Bluetooth; not for streaming audio, but for controlling the DSP remotely. There is a five band custom EQ option when using the app, which includes three parametric bands. These speakers are surprisingly light and fairly compact. You can download the app and see how it works even without having the speaker, it's called "EON Connect." Only negatives I've discovered are a slight background hiss that doesn't increase in volume when you turn the speaker up, and the lack of a cooling fan. I haven't gigged outdoors with it in the summer, so I don't know whether lack of a fan is even an issue.