Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Replacing Digitech Jamman with iPad for Helix

chuskey

Wanted to get some input on maybe changing my Helix setup a little bit.  Right now I a Digitech Jamman that I run through one of the loops on the Helix for backing tracks.  The features I use are:

Selecting different tracks

Playing back whole tracks (one shots)

Playing back songs on multiple tracks (intro, middle, end)  On this part I have the intro and end as one shots and loop the middle.  Once I trigger the intro I can immediately select the track with the middle loop on it and it will finish playing back the intro before switching, so I don't have to worry about timing.  Once I'm finished looping I select the end and once it finishes playing the middle loop it switches.  

On the Helix I have a volume pedal after the return block for the Jamman so I'm able to fade out the loops

That's pretty much what I use the Digitech for.  If I'm just doing a live loop I usually use the Helix looper. 

In addition I have a tablet on a stand that I use for lyrics using BandHelper. 

My question is this:  Is there a way to use an iPad with the lightning connector to USB to accomplish all of this with just the Helix and iPad?

A couple of things that I've looked into:

Loopy HD.  Doesn't do one shots and can't select load sessions via MIDI.  The one shots is a deal breaker, and having to go into the app to change sessions for different songs would be a pain. 

I've looked at some backing track programs, but they don't seem to have a lot of midi control and doing a setup where it's one shot, going into a loop, then to another one shot seems to be elusive. 

In a perfect world it would be awesome to find an app that could play back the way that the Jamman does and be midi controlled.  I'd love to be able to create presets for each song and have midi select the right loops when I load the preset (that may be asking for too much).   Reason being I'd prefer not to have to jump from app to app on the iPad to go from lyrics, to selecting loops, then back to lyrics in between songs. 

But even if I can find something that mimics what I'm able to do with the Jamman and eliminate a pedal that would be awesome!  

Controlling volume of USB 1/2 is only done through global settings, so I am unsure if you would be able to control the volume with the expression pedal. I have never tried to assign a global parameter with the expression. I don't think iPad is MIDI capable. 

• 2 years later...

Ipad is midi capable, what you can and can't do will depend on the app. 

I don't have my iPad with me right now but I'd say all you're saying can be done. Don't know about one shots in loopy but there's plenty of loopers around. 

As for the volume control. If the looper doesn't allow midi volume you could try a host like AUM which I believe has good midi implementation. 

Ipad with Quantiloop it's doing pretty much everything. That app it's probably one of the most complete looper/background machine you could ever find.

I've a RC300, but I keep using the QL on my iPad 12", and I control everything with whatever MIDI input. You can even use the Helix as controller, just using Midi via USB. Does just works.

http://quantiloop.com/

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PierM said:

Ipad with Quantiloop it's doing pretty much everything. That app it's probably one of the most complete looper/background machine you could ever find.

I've a RC300, but I keep using the QL on my iPad 12", and I control everything with whatever MIDI input. You can even use the Helix as controller, just using Midi via USB. Does just works.

http://quantiloop.com/

I've looked at that app before.  Looks really good.  I haven't been doing as much looping lately because I started playing in a band and do that most of the time, but when I get back around to it I'll definitely check this out.  Thanks!

• Upvote 1