Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Questions about Pod Farm 2.5, Gearbox, Toneport UX2 and Pod Studio GX

Many years ago I purchased a Toneport UX2 and several model packs including the Bass Expansion Pack which I use almost exclusively. I've been using Gearbox and it's works fine for me. I live in two locations so I want to buy a Pod Studio GX which comes with Pod Farm 2.5 to use in one of the locations. Would I be able to use the Pod Farm 2.5 with the Toneport UX2 at the other location and or would I be able to use Gearbox (with my model packs) with the new Pod Studio GX? Also, do the model packs I've purchased work with Pod Farm 2.5? Thanks.

Many years ago I purchased a Toneport UX2 and several model packs including the Bass Expansion Pack which I use almost exclusively. I've been using Gearbox and it's works fine for me. I live in two locations so I want to buy a Pod Studio GX which comes with Pod Farm 2.5 to use in one of the locations. Would I be able to use the Pod Farm 2.5 with the Toneport UX2 at the other location and or would I be able to use Gearbox (with my model packs) with the new Pod Studio GX? Also, do the model packs I've purchased work with Pod Farm 2.5? Thanks.

You don't mention it but I presume the Toneport UX2 came bundled with a version of the original Pod Farm program, v1.x.  Please advise if this is not true.

There are a few things to note here:

- the Pod Farm v1.x that came bundled with your Toneport will not run without the Toneport device connected; the license is tied to the hardware. And vice-versa - the bundled Pod Farm v2.5 license requires your Studio GX connected. That means neither version of the software will run without its licensed device connected. 

- Pod Farm 2.5 is not backwards compatible with Pod Farm 1. You can import Pod Farm 1.x presets into Pod Farm 2.5 (which includes a preset conversion utility) but you cannot import all v2.5 presets into v1.x because v2.5 has additional routing capabilities.

- All of the available expansion Model Packs in v1.x  are included in Pod Farm Platinum v2.5, not in the basic version of Pod Farm v2.5 that is bundled with your Studio GX.

For full flexibility you should upgrade your Pod Farm 2.5 basic license to the hardware independent Pod Farm Platinum v2.5 product. That will give you all amp/fx models and will run on both your Toneport and Studio devices with full interchangeability of presets.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/recording/pod-farm-pod-studio-toneport/pod-farm-20-upgrade-paths-r261

- Pod Farm 2.5 is not backwards compatible with Pod Farm 1. You can import Pod Farm 1.x presets into Pod Farm 2.5 (which includes a preset conversion utility) but you cannot import all v2.5 presets into v1.x because v2.5 has additional routing capabilities....

I should add a bit here.... it is possible to get some Pod Farm v2.5 presets imported into Pod Farm v1.x. To do so you need to select the Pod Farm v1 file format option when Exporting/Saving a preset in Pod Farm v2.5. This generates a v1.x-compatible file for the preset. You will lose any incompatible elements that may exist in the v2.5 preset (e.g. some routing options); they will be stripped out of the preset in order to generate the v1.x compatible version.

Hello, thanks for the response. My "red faced" UX2 is capable of running Pod Farm 1.2. I actually prefer to use Gearbox because of the functionality of the music player. Question: If I was to purchase the Pod Studio GX, would I be able to download Gearbox and use it with the GX and also use my Bass Expansion Pack with it as well? From what I'm hearing, I would have to purchase the GX AND a separate license for Pod Farm 2.5 to use the 2.5 with the UX2. I don't have the money to buy both. I just might be better off moving my UX2 from location to location. Thanks again.

I think whether or not you can get Gearbox to run would depend on your pc as Gearbox is no longer supported.

But you should have access any model packs that you purchased.

Well, Gearbox works fine on both Windows 10 computers and I have access to all my expansion packs with my UX2. I wanted to make life easier by having separate hardware setups at my two locations. Are you telling me that I will be able to run Gearbox with a new Pod Studio GX or just the UX2 which works on both computers? I just noticed in the Gearbox "Edit > Preferences > Hardware"  menu options, that you can change what hardware to use with Gearbox (along with auto-detect). The GX is one of the options. I don't know if that GX is the same as the current Pod Studio GX. Thanks