Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Update 2.11 unit freezing up

maxolla

EXP1. I have updated to 2.12 and as with 2.10 and 2.11, the update looses all variax snapshot open tuning parameters and model selections.

I have noticed some other strange volume related issues when I had volume block assigned to EXP1. Not just the normal drop to 1%, but once or twice a slow decrease in volume. I have had no issues once I reassigned all my volume blocks in all my presets to EXP2 (default). 

Has anyone been experiencing the problem I’m having?

I've had this problem since purchasing the unit with it hanging for seemingly no reason and at odd times.  I updated the firmware whilst following all of the instruction and holding my mouth in the right position and all that.  After the update it seems to work for a while and now it hangs several times a playing session.

The scenario goes like this:

I’m playing along having a good ole time and I go to change a preset or parameter and all the controls are inoperative.  Only solution I’ve found so far is to power cycle the unit.  Luckily I haven't had this issue live because I’m not playing live at the moment.  If I were playing live I would not count on this unit as of right now.

I love the sounds and ease of use otherwise!   I like this unit way better than the Axe FX for ease of use but not for reliability.  The Axe FX was solid as a rock in terms of glitch free.

Anyone else having this issue?

This is a follow up to the issue I’ve been having with my Helix freezing up and then the need to restart by recycling the power switch off and then back on.

First of all I would like to say that Line 6 has been helpful and has even given me the option of sending the unit back for a new one.  I did not choose that option because as of today 2/1/17 I have not had any issues with the unit freezing up additionally the mission volume pedal has not jumped to zero since the updating too 2.12.

IMPORTANT!

I have a personal friend who was having a system freeze problem that we have deduced down to a cable used with the his Mission expression pedal.  He was using a mono cable for the expression jack on the pedal and then using a TRS for the toe switch.  This configuration was causing the Helix to freeze during use and after changing the patch cords out to the correct configuration the Helix stopped freezing up (as of last night).

I am using both of the jacks on my mission pedal and both of the cables I am using are mono patch cables and I have not had any issues for two weeks.  The Mission pedal works fine with mono cables but I have not been using the toe switch at all as of lately.

I am calling the issue resolved until further notice.  Thank you all for your input and time in helping me trouble shoot this issue.  

One last thing!

This unit is AWESOME!!!  Ease of use and sound quality.  Every guitar player should have one of these in his or her or its arsenal!   I hope Line 6 doesn’t change the layout or editing to much from the way it is now because its close to perfect. :P 

The tide has turned!

long live the republic.

God bless America

• 4 weeks later...

The unresponsive thing happened to me again this morning. No computer involved, just playing and tweaking, changed presets, to one I've used recently without problems, and suddenly no controls worked.

Not mission critical since I was just in my basement, but it sure wouldn't be a happy thing on a gig.

I had a couple of odd behavior incidents happen yesterday, that helped remind me that computers tend to be glitchy no matter what anyone does. (Is glitchy a word?)

Anyway, I started my Helix and sat down at my computer and waited a few minutes before starting editor. When I did, editor said there was no Helix connected. I checked the Helix and saw it was still on the start up screen and hadn't fully loaded. This was probably three or four minutes after turning it on, so it had plenty of time to load. I shut it off, restarted and it loaded in the normal amount of time, and editor recognized it.

I then loaded one of my song patches and started playing, and realized it sounded like cr*p. I looked at the patch settings and saw that all of the Litigator amp parameters were set to 5, straight down the entire list. I switched to a different patch that uses the Litigator amp and it was fine. I went back to the original patch and now all of my amp settings were back to where I had originally saved them.

So, no moral to this story except that I'm becoming much more aware that some odd behavior is going to happen once in a while and it may mean a reboot to clear it out. Onstage that would be a slight problem, but not  the end of the world.

I'm still on 2.11 firmware. I didn't want to do an interim upgrade and decided to wait for the next one. I use the Helix everyday, and this odd behavior doesn't happen very often. But I've had enough small episodes to where I'm realizing it's always a possibility.

The unresponsive thing happened to me again this morning. No computer involved, just playing and tweaking, changed presets, to one I've used recently without problems, and suddenly no controls worked.

Not mission critical since I was just in my basement, but it sure wouldn't be a happy thing on a gig.

Humm, pure speculation but it kinda acts like a memory leak on the Helix side of things. Mine has frozen again from time to time, not too often and everytime with usb attached and running with the editor on my Mac. 

• 2 months later...

Here is my situation,

Helix connected to computer, using latest firmware 2.2, working on new patches, red Band appears across the top of helix software, "connection timed out, unable to connect to helix"

The result all patches in that user disappears, only the numbers left in the list, no names and empty patches, not even the path graphic of an empty preset.

Loaded my set list again, looked OK initially, working away again fixing up what I lost then it happens again.

Next time I decide to use User 2 to load my set list, repeat of last episode, getting nervous as will I have any user set list left.

Did a reboot, lost everything as I don't want to load that backup set list again.

It's a brand new helix I have only had it a couple of weeks, had just finished making 25 patches, and loaded Custom Patches Vol 1 and 2 from Glenn Delaune

We have a gig tomorrow so will still have to use my GT100 as my backup.

Really looking forward to using it as it sounds awesome, back to the drawing board building all my patches from scratch. Consered it will happen again.

Any ideas or solutions appreciated, unfortunately no phone tech support in Australia.

Here is my situation,

Helix connected to computer, using latest firmware 2.2, working on new patches, red Band appears across the top of helix software, "connection timed out, unable to connect to helix"

The result all patches in that user disappears, only the numbers left in the list, no names and empty patches, not even the path graphic of an empty preset.

Loaded my set list again, looked OK initially, working away again fixing up what I lost then it happens again.

Next time I decide to use User 2 to load my set list, repeat of last episode, getting nervous as will I have any user set list left.

Did a reboot, lost everything as I don't want to load that backup set list again.

It's a brand new helix I have only had it a couple of weeks, had just finished making 25 patches, and loaded Custom Patches Vol 1 and 2 from Glenn Delaune

We have a gig tomorrow so will still have to use my GT100 as my backup.

Really looking forward to using it as it sounds awesome, back to the drawing board building all my patches from scratch. Consered it will happen again.

Any ideas or solutions appreciated, unfortunately no phone tech support in Australia.

In addition to the latest firmware did you also download and install the latest 2.2 "Helix" application? It has the latest Editor, Updater, and driver. It almost sounds like you have the wrong version of the Editor. Make sure you check the Helix Editor version under the main menu 'Help' --> 'About Helix'. Sometimes it requires an uninstall of the old Editor for the new one to install properly. Of course, it could be something else entirely.