Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix with Marshall 1960A

Coercer

I'm about to purchase a Marshall 1960A for use as a cab with my Helix. The Helix will act as the amp head, pre- and power-amp. I'm new to using the Helix in this way. I know that it's possible to hook it up this way, but does anyone have any advice as to how to do it? The 1960A has a 4 Ohm and 16 Ohm input, as well as an 8 Ohm stereo mode. Which outputs would I use to connect my Helix, the stereo outs? And do I need to set the resistance to match the cab? Would you recommend this cab with the Helix?

Sorry to ask such a basic question, I will continue to peruse the manual to see if I can find anything in there that I might have missed. Thank you for helping.

• Downvote 1

Yes, you will need a power amp and at the very least, the cab will color yuor tone. Your patches that you develop for the 1960a will sound very different direct, through a PA or FRFR power amp/speaker. The Helix was basically made for that. It doesn't mean you can't get good sounds your way. When you do create them, dump the simulated cab in the Helix to start with.

That won't work. Powered speakers or a powered FRFR cabinet is your better option. That is, if you need a cabinet. I go direct live and just play through front of house/monitors live. Your needs may be different though. 

Do some looking around on the interwebs on Helix videos about live rigs to get some ideas. I'd hate to see you drop the money on a cabinet that you won't be able to use. 

As you sound like a non-expert user - do not go down this path - not only do you need a power amp, but you just removed half the cool capabilities of the Helix.  

For one you can't change you speaker for each patch.

2. You will have to mic your cab - no direct into the PA - and that really make a huge difference.

3. You can't get a cool studio sound by running effects after your cab - because now its the last thing in your chain.

All wrong.

Go FRFR.

If you are a rich guitar hero with a road crew and a guitar tech - ignore what I just said.  You just use half a dozen amps and your tech switches the outboard gear as required.........

Unless you are like me and "like" the sounds from a Marshall 1960a cab. A few million of us do.  ;)

Mine will always be used with my DT series head in some way or another.

But you still need an amp to power Helix as has been stated.

Best of both worlds is get a Firehawk 1500 amp / backup too.

I think you can make the Helix sound great connected to just about anything. I was messing around the house and connected the Helix into the front end of my Blackstar Studio 20 combo on the clean channel. Just the default Mesa MkIV model with some room reverb, OH Mesa 412 IR, didn't tweak a single parameter. Sounded fantastic cranked up with my Tele w/Seymour Duncan vintage stacks. I couldn't stop playing. 

I've thrown it in the front end of a few clean tube amps (tweeds, AC30) while running amp/cab models. I was always impressed. That's why I get so confused when someone says they can't get a good sound. I have a hard time getting a "bad" sound. Maybe if I am trying to nail a sound on a particular recording it becomes difficult. Most of what I play is clean-gritty, not high gain so maybe that has something to do with it. I also realize that a "direct" sound is significantly different than a sound through a tube amp, so I don't get all bent out of shape about the hiss/fizz with direct modeled amp sounds. 

I seem to be rambling now...