Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix and Yamaha THR10x

rccampeon

Hi guys,

First post here. A lot of usefull information to read.

I will be receiving my Helix tomorrow but I want to plan ahead so I can start using it as soon as it arrives to my house.

I don't have monitors or a speaker yet, and it will take me a while to get ones because my budget went all to the Helix, so in a few months I will be getting maybe an Alto TS212 speaker or similar, but for now I want to know if I can use the Helix this way:

- I have a Yamaha THR10x connected to my PC via USB

- I want to connect also the Helix via USB to my PC.

So my idea is to connect the guitar to the helix and be able to listen the Helix via the Yamaha THR10x, like if the Yamaha would be the speaker system, the Helix will be the IN, the Yamaha will be the OUT, is it clear enough?, my english is limited as is not my first language, so forgive me if it's a little difficult to catch the idea of what I want to do.

Thank you very much for your help.

Cheers,

Matias

Well I use the Helix with my computer all the time (when I'm not using it live).  But it works the other way, I have the Helix connected to the computer with USB. (you need to enable the editor on the computer) I use the Helix set as the computer output. If I use headphones or powered speakers I connect them to the Helix and the computer plays through the Helix out to the speakers or phones.

From what I know of the THR10x it can be used as a hifi.  I'd use it that way - Do it the way I do, but instead of powered speakers, you have the THR.  Don't plug into the guitar input of the THR.  Use it like a Stereo system. (mind you that might not sound any better than the THR does - but it will let you experiment with the Helix and hear anything coming from your computer. 

Other notes - 

Update to the latest firmware and editor immediately - and follow the instructions to the letter!

Generally when going out to a full range system you need to set global EQ.  Normally that's a 100Hz rolloff and a 5-6KHz rolloff - in your case, that might or might not give you your best sound - just depends on how full range that Yamaha really is............Take an amp and speaker model you know and adjust using your ears treating what I said as a starting point - use some serious gain and you will soon find out what you need to do to tame it.

Expect to need to do similar when you get your new FRFR.

• Upvote 1

Well I use the Helix with my computer all the time (when I'm not using it live).  But it works the other way, I have the Helix connected to the computer with USB. (you need to enable the editor on the computer) I use the Helix set as the computer output. If I use headphones or powered speakers I connect them to the Helix and the computer plays through the Helix out to the speakers or phones.

From what I know of the THR10x it can be used as a hifi.  I'd use it that way - Do it the way I do, but instead of powered speakers, you have the THR.  Don't plug into the guitar input of the THR.  Use it like a Stereo system. (mind you that might not sound any better than the THR does - but it will let you experiment with the Helix and hear anything coming from your computer. 

Other notes - 

Update to the latest firmware and editor immediately - and follow the instructions to the letter!

Generally when going out to a full range system you need to set global EQ.  Normally that's a 100Hz rolloff and a 5-6KHz rolloff - in your case, that might or might not give you your best sound - just depends on how full range that Yamaha really is............Take an amp and speaker model you know and adjust using your ears treating what I said as a starting point - use some serious gain and you will soon find out what you need to do to tame it.

Expect to need to do similar when you get your new FRFR.

Thanks for the quick answer rvroberts, one more question, when you say to use the Yamaha like a stereo system, how should I connect the Yamaha to the Helix?, the Yamaha THR10x has the imput where the guitar goes, then it has a headphone jack and an aux, which one should I use of those and to where should I connect it into the Helix?

Thanks again, you are really helpfull.

Cheers,

Matias

I would recommend to connect it as following:

For Guitar Input:

Guitar output   --(instrument cable)-->   Helix guitar input

For PC connection:

Helix USB output   --(usb cable)-->   PC USB input

For Sound Output:

Helix Phones Output   --(stereo cable 1/4" to 1/8", see link below)-->   Yamaha AUX IN

Such kind of cable:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CMS105

In this setup, the Helix serves as the audio interface, so the guitar and speakers (THR) should be connected to it. 

Even without a connection to the PC, the THR will amplify your modelled Helix signal.

Brgds

• Upvote 1

Connect the helix outputs (left and right) into the aux in of the THR10x. You will need an adapter to go from the Helix output jacks into the stereo aux input jack of the THR10x. Be careful with the Helix output level. If you turn the Helix output up too high you might exceed the input limit of the THR10x and cause unwanted distortion.

• Upvote 1

Can't you connect both via USB and on the computer's sound preferences set the Helix as the audio input and the THR10 as the audio output? Not sure about PCs but I'm pretty sure that you can do this on a Mac. If the OP happens to use a Mac.

• Upvote 1

Connect the helix outputs (left and right) into the aux in of the THR10x. You will need an adapter to go from the Helix output jacks into the stereo aux input jack of the THR10x. Be careful with the Helix output level. If you turn the Helix output up too high you might exceed the input limit of the THR10x and cause unwanted distortion.

That's what I'd do first.  Remove the PC from the equation, it's not needed.

• Upvote 1

My initial idea was this

Can't you connect both via USB and on the computer's sound preferences set the Helix as the audio input and the THR10 as the audio output? Not sure about PCs but I'm pretty sure that you can do this on a Mac. If the OP happens to use a Mac.

I could try this too

...I just need to get the adapter JimBenson is talking about

Thank guys, tomorrow once I get my helix, I'll try to make this work.

That should work hideout and just monitor the outputs. Im not sure if there is latency involved as that would depend on both drivers for both products. But it should work I think.

Oooh, forgot all about the latency!  Still, it might work.

• Upvote 1

I could try this too

...I just need to get the adapter JimBenson is talking about

Thank guys, tomorrow once I get my helix, I'll try to make this work.

Something like this would work perfect:

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP-159-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B005HGM1D6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483387384&sr=8-1&keywords=1%2F4%22+to+3.5+stereo

• Upvote 1

I don't use my Helix with a computer, so I can't help you with that part of your configuration objective. Nonetheless, I have used my Helix with my Yamaha THR10C. The Yamaha works exceptionally well as a stereo near field FRFR Monitor! It is amazing just how good the Yamaha sounds! It was remarkably similar when A/B'd against a set of JBL LSR305 powered studio monitor. I had them all connected simultaneously to the Helix and could switch between them.

Get Two (2) 1/8" (3.5 mm) TRS to Dual 1/4 inch TS Stereo Breakout Cables like this one (or longer length if desired): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068O3C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Use one to connect the Helix's FX 1&2 Sends to the Yamaha's Aux In jack. The other allows you to connect your stereo audio playback device to the Helix's FX 1&2 Returns.

On the Helix define one FX Return Block for FX 1&2 Return (Stereo Audio in from your music source), and one FX Send Block for FX 1&2 Send (stereo to the Yamaha). Also handy is to define a Volume Gain Block postioned after the FX Return and before the FX Send Block to easily adjust the level sent to the Yamaha from the Helix. In this configuration, routing the stereo signal to the Yamaha's Aux In jack, all of the Yamaha's amp modeling and cab sims are circumvented! The Yamaha acts solely as a powered stereo speaker system. So the only active knob on the Yamaha is the AuxIn level knob. While in this mode the Yamaha sounded outstanding! [Note: It also draws far less current, so the batteries (if you power it that way) will last far longer than when the Yamaha's amp profiles, tone stack and FX controls are active in the circuitry as when the 1/4" input is used.]

While connected via AuxIn to the Helix, I also connected a set of JBL LSR305 to the Helix using the Helix's Main 1/4" Outs. After adjusting levels on the Yamaha and the JBLs, and trying the Helix's Global Settings I/O options for Line vs Instrument levels, I switched the connections to the Yamaha and JBLs. Listening to a variety of material played through the Helix both the Yamaha and each sounded great. Of course, the JBLs could get louder and had a bigger bottom end, but up to the point where the Yamaha could no longer compete, the Yamaha did a remarkable job rendering the accuracy of the playback material and matched the JBLs very closely.

I also did the same with my guitar connected to the Helix, stepping through each of Helix's Amp+Cab Block Models. Simply define an Amp+Cab Block in the 2nd postion of the Signal Path. Put a Looper Block in the first postion and you can record your guitar and let it loop (playback) as you step through each of Helix's Amp+Cab Block models auditioning how they sound. Then add an Amp Block in positon 3, and a Cab Block in position 4. This allows you to isolate (using the Bypass Button) how each sounds using the Amp Button and Joystick Selector.

You can also do the same with a PreAmp Block, but you'll have to delete either, the Amp+Cab Block or the Amp Block due to the DSP limit on Path 1. Otherwise, you'll need to use Super Serial mode (routing Path 1's output block to Path 2) to access the additional DSP resources.

BTW, do all the above on one of the Empty User Presets found in the Templates setlist.

I did also try routing the Helix's signal to the Yamaha's 1/4" Instrument In. I tried this two ways. One from the Helix's FX Sends (using a 1/4" Y adapter to converge the stereo signals to a Mono signal into the Yamaha) and the other from the Helix's Main 1/4" Out. In both instances, the Yamaha's amp profiles are now being used along with the Yamaha's tone stack and FXs. Thus, you'll likely want to disable (i.e Bypass) the Amp+Cab Block, Amp Block, Cab Block, and PreAmp Block in Helix's signal chain. I didn't burn, destroy nor blow out anything, but it was certainly a learning experience, over the course of several hours on two consecutive days. Overall, I preferred using the AuxIn on the Yamaha rather than Instrument In.

The final point I'll mention is that using the Helix's FX Sends and Main Out (rather than the Headphones out) allowed me to keep my Sony MDR-V6 headphones connected to the Helix at all times and instantly use them as another comparison. Otherwise, using the Helix's Headphones out could be another valid method to connect to the Yamaha. Give it a try and see what works best for you!

Hope this helps! Even though it was a long post.... :}

• Upvote 2