Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Yamaha THR100HD

hideout

It predates the Helix.  They sound great - but suffer from having 5 great sounds, but no real remote control for switching from clean to crunch to drive - the kind of thing you really need.  If they just gave you that simple switching (while keeping the stereo capability) it would have been a total winner.

It predates the Helix. They sound great - but suffer from having 5 great sounds, but no real remote control for switching from clean to crunch to drive - the kind of thing you really need. If they just gave you that simple switching (while keeping the stereo capability) it would have been a total winner.

Huh? Dude, it's two independent amps that you can use individually or combine both amps in mono or stereo... you do this with a footswitch it comes with and connects via any midi cable.  You can't switch amp types or power tube types with the foot switch but hey, most amps are limited to two sounds anyway.  Most amps.

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/chuya-online/cabinet/item101500/rt_101401_04.jpg

Yep - you can use it like 2 mono amps - but who really wants 2 totally discrete amps?  Who only wants 2 sounds in this modern world - especially when the thing has 5 killer sounds?  And I personally would run it in stereo.  I know a few guys who use it - they run the Cleanish channel on both channels and run a pedal board into it splitting into stereo on the board - like stereo chorus, stereo delay etc. They therefore don't use the crunch or lead sounds but get that from their pedals.

My point was if they only gave you a remote that effectively was that knob for switching sounds, the thing would be way more attractive.

You don't have to agree.  But I bought the Helix because I thought that omission was stupid. Yep its 2 mono amps - the foot switch lets you change amps - wow - that's so cool (not) - it could be 5 killer stereo amps with a tiny bit more thought! (a good tech can probably do that as a mod.)

Yep - you can use it like 2 mono amps - but who really wants 2 totally discrete amps?  Who only wants 2 sounds in this modern world - especially when the thing has 5 killer sounds?  And I personally would run it in stereo.  I know a few guys who use it - they run the Cleanish channel on both channels and run a pedal board into it splitting into stereo on the board - like stereo chorus, stereo delay etc. They therefore don't use the crunch or lead sounds but get that from their pedals.

My point was if they only gave you a remote that effectively was that knob for switching sounds, the thing would be way more attractive.

You don't have to agree.  But I bought the Helix because I thought that omission was stupid. Yep its 2 mono amps - the foot switch lets you change amps - wow - that's so cool (not) - it could be 5 killer stereo amps with a tiny bit more thought! (a good tech can probably do that as a mod.)

I run it exactly as you said....2 cleanish amps, and run the helix as a full stereo output to the amp. It works well that way. I also see your point with wanting presets, however, I bought it before the helix with the intention of using it as a 2-channel amp. It suited my purposes, but, I agree, it would certainly make sense to make it preset based.

If I need presets, I have the Helix. Sometimes I just want to plug into something simple and don't need more than even one sound - like in my studio. I use the Helix for gigging as that's when I need instantaneous access to lots of sounds. In my small studio, it's footprint takes up too much room. When I just want to play at home, it's nice to be able to just plug in and go. I like the idea of being able to reach for a knob at chair height to tweak sounds and not have to bend down or use the computer and have all these cables strewn across the floor. I love gigging with the Helix but I hate having to set it up at home when I just want to sit down and play through an amp. I don't need access to all of what the Helix offers every time I sit down to play. Certainly not at home. By the time I've got the Helix setup and the studio equipment required to run it turned on, the desire or inspiration to play is likely gone.

I've heard amazing things about this amp. You can get a single channel version, too.

Don't assume that Yamaha and Line 6 tech are going to somehow merge. Years ago, Yamaha bought Korg.

Virtually none of the keyboard technology from either company appeared on the other the whole time they were part of the same family.

Jus' sayin'... 

I've heard amazing things about this amp. You can get a single channel version, too.

Don't assume that Yamaha and Line 6 tech are going to somehow merge. Years ago, Yamaha bought Korg.

Virtually none of the keyboard technology from either company appeared on the other the whole time they were part of the same family.

Jus' sayin'...

Yeah, I considered the single channel one for about a minute but decided that being able to blend two different amp sounds in a single head unit was too appealing to turn down. I agree that this is an all Yamaha device. It sounds like and works like one of their products. I think it's great that Yamaha is not homogenizing the sonics of the companies they buy. This amp sounds killer and I don't want it to sound or work like it's related to the Helix. It's got a charm all its own and I love its simplicity. Just plug in, twist some knobs and go. I do kinda wish the power tube selection knobs were in front. If that were the case, I'd be building a cab that would turn it into a stereo combo amp.

Right now I only have it playing through one speaker and am thinking that having the two separate amps each driving their own speaker would be a much better sounding scenario.