Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone using BT wireless headphones with Amplifi?

Gkf9

I've just recently bought a cheap pair of earbuds, and was wondering if they would work with the Amplifi.

I know I'll probably have to buy a BT transmitter to plug into the Headphone plug on the back of the device.

Would like to know if it would work?

TIA

i can help you here as just been down this road myself:

the short answer is no!

the long answer is to do with latency and current bluetooth spec. basically the time taken to convert the analogue audio signal from the headphone output to digital, transmit-recieve and back to analogue is too slow. its getting there, i tried the current best solution of aptx low latency transmitter and headphones in the hope they would work being only 34ms delay. while this is fine for watching tv (lipsync is ok) its still too great for live playing with the guitar. we need something below 10ms which hopefully will become available in the next generation of bluetooth technology

hope this helps

i can help you here as just been down this road myself:

the short answer is no!

the long answer is to do with latency and current bluetooth spec. basically the time taken to convert the analogue audio signal from the headphone output to digital, transmit-recieve and back to analogue is too slow. its getting there, i tried the current best solution of aptx low latency transmitter and headphones in the hope they would work being only 34ms delay. while this is fine for watching tv (lipsync is ok) its still too great for live playing with the guitar. we need something below 10ms which hopefully will become available in the next generation of bluetooth technology

hope this helps

Pacemaker, you're absolutely right about the latency issue. GKf9, If you still want to go wireless, you could get a wireless set that is RF-based, not BT based. RF based transmitters have minimal latency, and, as a matter of fact, I use a Sennheiser wireless set on my Helix. RF wireless sets are far more expensive than BT, and there are cheap useless sets out there (basically, stay FAR away from anything under US$75), but they do work.

The one I got (for about $55 when I got it, as it is being discontinued, but retailed for around $130) is this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS120-Wireless-Headphones-Charging/dp/B0001FTVEK/ref=sr_1_2?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1484432293&sr=1-2&keywords=sennheiser

I see that it went down in price a bit more and now it is around $52. At this price level, it costs about the same as a semi-decent BT set with none of the lag.

there are 2 BT options I have been using with my Amplifi 75.  I have pair of Avantree APTX  bluetooth transmitter and receiver, as well as Avantree wireless bt pro headphones -  APTX technology is low-latency bluetooth.  There is some latency but for my ear, it works well.   Check on Amazon for Avantree APTX low latency bluetooth transmitter/receiver and the Pro headphones.  You can simply get the transmitter/receiver set and plug the transmitter into headphone out on Amplifi and plug receiver into your favorite studio wired headphones (put the small receiver in pocket).   If you want to go wireless headphones, then get the transmitter and pair it to the headphones - its easy.