Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV 89F Questions

I don't have the 89F yet, but hope to soon.  I was listening to some reviews and have some questions..

1. Can we access the Graphtech peizo output unmodeled, just the clean piezo sound.
  2. Has anyone been able to put a middle pickup in an 89F much like the Standard? 
  3. I am a little torn between the 89F and the 59 and the Standard.  I have played the 89F and I know what a standard Wilkenson bridge feels like..  Frankly I'm a Kahler guy so either bridge is not my first chioce, but wondered if there was any other significant difference between the 89F and the 59 and the Standard other than color, pickups (which are replaceable) and bridge.  Build, quality, overall sound?  
  4. Bottom line   JTV or Standard.. what's the pros/cons..  preferences. ??  

So many guitars, so little time.

Thanks in advance.

I don't have the 89F yet, but hope to soon.  I was listening to some reviews and have some questions..

1. Can we access the Graphtech peizo output unmodeled, just the clean piezo sound.
  2. Has anyone been able to put a middle pickup in an 89F much like the Standard? 
  3. I am a little torn between the 89F and the 59 and the Standard.  I have played the 89F and I know what a standard Wilkenson bridge feels like..  Frankly I'm a Kahler guy so either bridge is not my first chioce, but wondered if there was any other significant difference between the 89F and the 59 and the Standard other than color, pickups (which are replaceable) and bridge.  Build, quality, overall sound?  
  4. Bottom line   JTV or Standard.. what's the pros/cons..  preferences. ??  

So many guitars, so little time.

Thanks in advance.

1)  There is no raw piezo signal from Variax.  It seems to be a common feature request on the forums.  You can upvote it on Ideascale as well to help push the request

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Clean-piezo-signal-from-JTV/515946-23508

2) There are guys who swap pickups on the Variax, but I have yet to see anyone add a new pickup slot in one.  Not saying it can't be done, just that there are a lot of electronics living in Variax, and doing custom work like that is more involved than it would be on a basic guitar.

3 & 4) I think it comes down to aesthetics and feel here, but Ill printout a couple things like like on each.  The modeled sounds are the same on the all, and any differences on the piezo side cause by the woods/build are very small if they are even noticeable.  I think the 89 has the best feeling neck profile (and only 24 fret option if that is important to you.)  The trem system was never a big deal for me, but its worth nothing that when using models/piezo, getting too wild with the bar can cause the strings to lose contact with the piezo saddle resulting in note loss and popping as it slaps back down.  No issues with it for the magnetic pickups though.

The Standard also has a comfortable neck although this one was out for me right off the bat without a full humbucker in the bridge position. 

My favorite pro for the 59 is the shorter scale length which lets me use heavier strings with less tension.  I feel there is a small improvement for the modeled sounds with slightly bigger strings.  I also like the look of this model best.  I don't like the gloss painted neck, but it is easy enough to scuff back for a satin feel if that is a deal breaker for you.

Hope any of that helps you.

Regarding #2,... yes it was done as a custom job for guitarist Oz Noy

by Touch Singleton of Singleton Guitar Works. It was a serious mod, both

mechanically and electronically. Such a mod is very involved, not for the

faint of heart or someone not experienced with guitar mods on this level.

I was consulted about the electronics aspects of it, as a favor to the boss

and Touch,... as a favor for Oz. Touch Singleton does nice work.

The Standard also has a comfortable neck although this one was out for me right off the bat without a full humbucker in the bridge position. 

Just fyi... apparently swapping the bridge pickup to one of those single-coil sized humbuckers (Seymour Duncan) is pretty easy.  The results are pretty amazing on that front.  Richie Castellano (BOC) just did his and put out a few vid clips using it.  

For me the 24 frets are more of a the deal breaker.   22 are fine, but I just prefer 24... my hands seem to find their way better with 24.

Thanks.!!!

Pick-up swaps,... try to use ones with a bulk resistance between 6k-Ohms to 8k-Ohms.

Height adjustment may be more trial and error regarding string warbling from magnetic

pull down on the strings, when it comesto non-stock pick-ups, as the height adjustment

spec won't be the same. There may be some trial and error in adjusting that to get to its

optimum spot.

Just fyi... apparently swapping the bridge pickup to one of those single-coil sized humbuckers (Seymour Duncan) is pretty easy.  The results are pretty amazing on that front.  Richie Castellano (BOC) just did his and put out a few vid clips using it.  

For me the 24 frets are more of a the deal breaker.   22 are fine, but I just prefer 24... my hands seem to find their way better with 24.

Thanks.!!!

I appreciate it. I have tried hot rails, cool rails, the lil' JB and about 80% of the DiMarzio rail offerings in dozens of guitars (as a guitar tech - Im not that spoiled).  Most are very usable and kick the hum, but I haven't found one that sounds as good a a full-sized humbucker to me.

And with the 24 frets I feel the same way.  I never reach for the 24th until i happen to pickup a 22 fret guitar and then, oh it's not there.

I appreciate it. I have tried hot rails, cool rails, the lil' JB and about 80% of the DiMarzio rail offerings in dozens of guitars (as a guitar tech - Im not that spoiled).  Most are very usable and kick the hum, but I haven't found one that sounds as good a a full-sized humbucker to me.

Richie has a DiMarzio ToneZone in the bridge position and a pair of Area 61's.  It sounds more fat than I expected.  Of course running it through a Helix helps.

And with the 24 frets I feel the same way.  I never reach for the 24th until i happen to pickup a 22 fret guitar and then, oh it's not there.

Seriously true...  If I could get the intonation right for the poles on the neck pickup that would be just golden !!!!  LOL

asdppreciate it. I have tried hot rails, cool rails, the lil' JB and about 80% of the DiMarzio rail offerings in dozens of guitars (as a guitar tech - Im not that spoiled).  Most are very usable and kick the hum, but I haven't found one that sounds as good a a full-sized humbucker to me.

It's about matching the right pick-up for the right body tone.

I have a DiMarzio as a bridge pick-up on a '66 Ricki three pick-up 12-string. I would

never use that same DiMarzio on my '72 Gibson ES330, the tone color difference would

be too off with regards to body tone matching. I'd go a custom wound Seymour Duncan for that.

And I would never use a Strat style single coil on either of them. Might go for a custom

wound Seymour Duncans for the Strat style single coil for one of my JTV-69's though.

Right pick-up tone for the right body and tone,... as opposed to using it because it's the latest

fad or looks cool. It's about the sound quality.