Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

5 Months with Helix...................

pete1975

ok,so had Helix 5 months now and originally purchased to use with mesa dual rectifier head and cab using the 4cm and just for effects really.

So did a few rehearsals with that set up and works great,amazingly actually,so versatile and still utilizing my valve head,ok the amp channel switching doesnt work and had to buy voodoo labs switcher but other than that its great.

So,decided to give direct to p.a. a go,first practice,didnt like it,sounded odd but workable.

2nd practice,much better and was pleased (especially as i didnt have to lug head and cab about)

3rd practice,i decided to change my IR and went for a george lynch marshall 4 x12,wow what a difference,sounded huge and fat and like my amp was behind me.

4th practice,im converted,i decided to keep same signal path but add a second amp in parallel,wowzer!!!!!!dam this thing sounds almighty!!!!big fat heavy crunch!!!!!!

I suppose im kinda saying stick with this thing if not happy at first,i can honestly say after using valve amps for 15 years i am actually more happy now going direct than playing a real valve amp.

but..

but i love my mesa and come up with a solution,im running it still in 4cm but sending a signal off with an IR and basically using the mesas pre-amp and IR to go to p.a. at the same time.

At first it sounded a little flat,no power amp dynamics adding distortion that i was getting through the cab,i didnt want to turn the gain up on the amp as it would make my real amp sound a bit to fizzy,so i added a mesa amp block with gain at zero and utilised the sag hum master etc to give me power amp dynamics...........boom i now have my mesa running in real life and the actual amp sound going to p.a. system!!!no more need for micing up and having different sound every gig!!!!

I love this thing,so versatile,would highly recommend!!!!!

• Upvote 2

My path has been similar, just really happy, and about 5 months with the unit is about right.

I run a complete signal from helix to FOH but also split off a send to a small tube amp.

amp stays dry except for wah, drive, preamp or full amp, reverb.  chorus, vibe, echo etc. is all post small tube amp and continues to front of house along with cab/ir.

Two channels to FOH-Helix direct and an audix i5 on the tube amp.  It's exactly what I hear in my head.  also run a complete separate path for Variax 700 acoustic for other guitar player.

Have not changed my rig in over 4 months since getting the helix. It's great to just be content because the helix already has everything I want (except amazing reverbs!). 

I was really happy with it initially, then after the honeymoon phase wore off I saw some issues, but last week I finally figured out what I was doing wrong and now I'm happier than ever. This thing changed my gigging/gear life and I'll never go back to lugging amps and cabs around. 

• 4 months later...

Hi,

My path has been similar, just really happy, and about 5 months with the unit is about right.

I run a complete signal from helix to FOH but also split off a send to a small tube amp.

amp stays dry except for wah, drive, preamp or full amp, reverb.  chorus, vibe, echo etc. is all post small tube amp and continues to front of house along with cab/ir.

Two channels to FOH-Helix direct and an audix i5 on the tube amp.  It's exactly what I hear in my head.  also run a complete separate path for Variax 700 acoustic for other guitar player.

Is variax acoustic supported by helix now to change turnings etc? Thanks in advance, Jim

Hi,

Is variax acoustic supported by helix now to change turnings etc? Thanks in advance, Jim

No - Helix supports Variax JTV and Standard models. Behaviour with earlier Variax models is unsupported but it partially works with my Variax 300. I have no experience with the Variax Acoustic.

I purchased/used practically every modeler/MFX on the market and never found their sound entirely to my liking for performance or alternatively if the sound was good enough I simply did not enjoy designing presets on them.  This kept me cycling through an endless parade of tube amps and effect pedals. Finally I found a stable gigging alternative with the Helix that balances simple intuitive preset design with just enough depth to keep things interesting. I have performed with it steadily since its purchase. At first I was a little daunted by the price but the Helix and its features seemed so appealing I purchased it as soon as it became available. Best investment I have made in years. I was finally able to step off the G.A.S. treadmill of constantly purchasing the next latest greatest pedal and the next great amp in the ongoing search for the holy grail tone.

The Helix has actually turned out to be a huge savings despite the price tag. For anyone who is hesitating because of cost, I urge you to jump on the Helix bus. If you are like many of us here you will actually save money in the long run and a lot of it. I am not saying I will never buy another amp, pedal or guitar but my gear purchases have dropped off dramatically, and I mean to almost nothing, now that I have a flexible user friendly solution that works so well on stage.  I honestly did not think any piece of equipment was capable of this but it was like kicking a life-long technology addiction. Yea, I still peruse Musician's Friend and Sweetwater websites and catalogs or visit the local Guitar Center and occasionally salivate over some new toy but for the most part I no longer feel inclined to purchase them. When I think my sound needs refinement or I just want a change I simply tweak a preset instead of buying a new pedal or amp the way I used to. The Helix has absolutely proven to be a net gain for me rather than an expense. 

• Upvote 3

Yeah.

Sometime I just feel like exploring something new, and so far, there's always been some amp or overdrive or other effect combination or amp settings approach to play with THAT'S ALREADY IN THERE. No spendy anxiousness decision paralysis, shopping project, or hole in wallet, just turn some knobs and TRY IT, at 3 am if the mood strikes. Big win.

Which isn't to say I'm not considering some new IRs, or that I'd kick a Kemper or Fractal out of bed... But actually spend what those other modelers cost? No way, not unless finances change, or I somehow decide I genuinely DGAF about that.

Fact is, I've been having a blast w Helix, most guitar fun I've had in years.

• Upvote 1

Which isn't to say I'm not considering some new IRs, or that I'd kick a Kemper or Fractal out of bed...

True, I have bought a few IRs at a pittance on Cyber Monday and I agree, if I woke up one morning and found a Fractal laying on my chest I might be a bit freaked out but I certainly would not toss it out the window.   ;)

Yeah.

Sometime I just feel like exploring something new, and so far, there's always been some amp or overdrive or other effect combination or amp settings approach to play with THAT'S ALREADY IN THERE. No spendy anxiousness decision paralysis, shopping project, or hole in wallet, just turn some knobs and TRY IT, at 3 am if the mood strikes. Big win.

Which isn't to say I'm not considering some new IRs, or that I'd kick a Kemper or Fractal out of bed... But actually spend what those other modelers cost? No way, not unless finances change, or I somehow decide I genuinely DGAF about that.

Fact is, I've been having a blast w Helix, most guitar fun I've had in years.

I hadn't really thought of it this way, but you're actually right.  Once I moved into the Helix and my current rig all consideration toward getting something different or new just disappeared into the wind.  I've got everything I need and will need for a very long time.

I'm not saying that really saved me money though.  Because I'm not looking at amps or pedals or such it just encouraged me to upgrade my guitars.  Then, of course, I had a joystick failure on my Helix which freaked me out because I've got no real backup to it, so I bought a second Helix which will be permanently attached to my recording system, but can be used as a backup if something happens.  All my presets work everywhere and I don't have to hook up my gigging Helix when I want to record.

So I guess I can't say I saved any money....but...what the heck.  You only go 'round once in life.....

Where did you get the lynch IR? 😎

Ownhammer has two I think. There's the 412 MAR-CB LYNCH Expansion, a Lynchback in a 1970's Marshall 1960B checkerboard 4x12 cabinet, and the California Duo Collection has the same speaker in a Mesa Three quarter semi open back 2x12 (plus a bunch of other stuff).

Really hard to tell how different those are from the samples on the site.