Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can the HELIX do metal? Answer inside :)

Metaldude

Hi everyone,

Just released a new video.

This one focuses on (modern) Metal sounds with the Cali IV amp model.

I tried to make it as heavy as possible... 

After the song I also explain the preset and OH IR's I used.

If you have any questions I'd be more than happy to answer them!

Note that the bass parts were also done with the Helix.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN6hIRc9nv8

• Upvote 2

I personally don't think there's any mystery to "can it do metal".  95% of all the videos out there on the Helix tend to be oriented toward metal.  The questions are really about, can it do jazz, can it do country, can it do funk/soul, or R&B, or Rockabilly, or Delta blues versus Texas blues versus Memphis blues...and on and on and on.....

I personally don't think there's any mystery to "can it do metal".  95% of all the videos out there on the Helix tend to be oriented toward metal.  The questions are really about, can it do jazz, can it do country, can it do funk/soul, or R&B, or Rockabilly...and on and on and on.....

It can definitely do those things and I'll also be doing way more videos in other genres to show that.

This video is for the metalheads though :)

It can definitely do those things and I'll also be doing way more videos in other genres to show that.

This video is for the metalheads though :)

Well that would certainly be a nice respite from the flood of metalhead videos on the Helix, that's for sure.

If I had more time I'd probably take some of these on.  But they all tend to be pretty complex if you want to do them right and completely.  For example, there's not just ONE country setup.  Modern country tends to have a different feel than traditional country, or even instrumental country like Chet Atkins.  Same with blues and jazz.  That's a LOT of individual videos for sure.

Man what a great track, clean, clear and airy.  Love it!  I went ahead and bought the OH Cali Duo pack.  I've been sort of against buying IR's after being a little disappointed with the 3Sigma Mesa IR's.  Gonna give it a shot!

Edit: Dang that OH Cali Duo pack is great....right up my alley.  I've owned Mesa Recto 412 Traditional and 212 3/4 back cabs and these have a great familiar feel to them.  The optional C90's and  Alnico Blues in the 212 3/4 really cover a lot of clean to chime and crunch territory.  

These even sound good through my JBL EON 515XT's that we use for live monitoring.  I've have struggled with harshness or boxyness with Helix cabs and other IR's in the past.  I actually pulled the cut sheets on these JBL's and the published frequency response is fairly flat.  With these IR's, they actually have a nice 412-cab-like thump to them.

https://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/EON515XT_SS_0811.web.pdf

It would have been nice to have a C90 option in the traditional 412.  I used to run a C90-loaded Mesa Traditional 412 cab with my Stiletto Deuce II head and it was killer!  But there are C90 212/412 blends that sound good.

Anyway, thanks again for a great video and IR demo. $30 well spent for a Mesa cab lover.

Hi everyone,

Just released a new video.

This one focuses on (modern) Metal sounds with the Cali IV amp model.

I tried to make it as heavy as possible... 

After the song I also explain the preset and OH IR's I used.

If you have any questions I'd be more than happy to answer them!

Note that the bass parts were also done with the Helix.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN6hIRc9nv8

WOW... I hope I don't lollipop anyone off, but that is the FIRST (caveat... first I have seen/heard) decent video of what the Helix can do in the really hardcore Metal arena.

I'm sure there are others, but I generally can't get past the first few bars before getting bored with the sound...    This was stellar.    Well Done.     Great playing and mixing as well.   But really great tone.

I personally don't think there's any mystery to "can it do metal".  95% of all the videos out there on the Helix tend to be oriented toward metal.  The questions are really about, can it do jazz, can it do country, can it do funk/soul, or R&B, or Rockabilly, or Delta blues versus Texas blues versus Memphis blues...and on and on and on.....

Uhh.. I think it's common knowledge that the amount of non-metal pedal demos videos on Youtube far outweighs the amount of Metal there are. Almost every video I've ever come across are the same.. Some guy twanging on his Les Paul or Stratocaster through a Fender. Isn't there enough of that? I think so. Actually, the new criteria should be "If it can do Metal cleanly, then it can do all of the above mentioned (jazz, country, R&B, etc.)".

• Upvote 2

Uhh.. I think it's common knowledge that the amount of non-metal pedal demos videos on Youtube far outweighs the amount of Metal there are. Almost every video I've ever come across are the same.. Some guy twanging on his Les Paul or Stratocaster through a Fender. Isn't there enough of that? I think so. Actually, the new criteria should be "If it can do Metal cleanly, then it can do all of the above mentioned (jazz, country, R&B, etc.)".

"Some guy twanging on his Les Paul or Stratocaster through a Fender. "

Only a metal head would respond to a thread on the Helix by referring to videos of guys twanging through a Fender.

And, oh by the way, a Les Paul and a Strat nor would a Fender amp necessarily be the right tools for many of the genres mentioned any more than a Fender would be the amp of choice for metal.  How about old style country such as Chet Atkins or Merle Haggard?  Maybe a Gretsch and a Supro, or Gibson amp might be a better choice?  Or possibly some jazz like Wes Montgomery or George Benson.  You really think they use Fender amps, or Les Pauls or Strats?

I guess this all serves to validate the old addage: "When all you know is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail".....

• Upvote 1

Only a metal head would respond to a thread on the Helix by referring to videos of guys twanging through a Fender.

So basically, what you're saying is the Helix is not for Metal. Interesting. I'm not sure my point is relevant to me being a "metal head" either. I simply said the amount of non-metal pedal demos videos on Youtube far outweighs the amount of Metal there are, which is actually quite true. I also still stick by my statement that the criteria should be if it can do Metal cleanly, then it should be good for just about anything..

So basically, what you're saying is the Helix is not for Metal. Interesting. I'm not sure my point is relevant to me being a "metal head" either. I simply said the amount of non-metal pedal demos videos on Youtube far outweighs the amount of Metal there are, which is actually quite true. I also still stick by my statement that the criteria should be if it can do Metal cleanly, then it should be good for just about anything..

^^^^

Apparently home schooled.....   :wacko:  

When it comes to videos of the helix wether it's metal, twang or anything in between I think the more the merrier

Yup. I am not a metal guy, but still watch some of the videos. There are some great metal tones out there. There are plenty of non-metal videos out there too, you just need to know what/who to look for.