Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

9 volt to 5 volt micro usb converter

jbuhajla

Just trying to get an idea if anyone would want something like this...

Would anyone here pay $30-50 (price unknown at this time) to be able to convert 9 volts from your standard pedal power supply barrel type connector to 5 volts micro USB connect to the back of the Relay G10? This would allow you to slap the G10 base on to your pedalboard and power it off of whatever 9 volt supply you are using. 

A 9v to 5v USB adapter makes sense, if it were no more than $10.

For $30 to $50, go with Line 6's USB G10 $15 Charging Cable (Amazon or Sweetwater) and put the balance towards a rechargeable USB Lithium Battery pack to power the G10 Receiver base. The battery pack could also charge your Smartphone, Tablet, etc.

I agree that it is high, but my initial estimate on components put it in that range (plus a markup for labor). I was also thinking that I could make a 5v to 9v converter that would plug into the micro usb on the G10, and you would strap a black cable tie around the base to retain it. Then you would just plug your standard 9v supply into that. If I get creative, I could get it down to around $25. 

• 3 months later...

there is another thread on here someplace where I ordered the boards and parts from ebay.  they components are excellent quality and cost less than $10.00.  because the main board needed is about $.99 each, I ordered 5 of them.  all work and I have had my three g10's modded and each work great!

I can not recommend this solution enough - my peddle board now works flawlessly and I can gig again with my g10.

• 9 months later...

I do not recommend powering your G10 with anything but the factory power supply. 

When I first bought the G10, I didn't want to use the factory power supply because the shape and size used up a bit of space on my pedal board.  (My pedal board has to fit in my carry on bag because I do a lot of fly out gigs)  I tried to power it with a smaller usb charger.  The smaller chargers I tried produced 5v at 2.0 amps just like the factory one.  They caused the G10 to hum so I couldn't use them.

I saw this thread and and tried to power the G10 from my Voodoo Lab Pedal Power.  I used the circuit from a car charger and soldered it to a 9v connector and plugged it into the Voodoo Lab.  It powered the G10 without any hum so I thought I was good to go.   

Over the next couple of weeks I noticed that my guitar tone was a little icky. I've spent a lot of time & money to have a tone that makes me happy on stage and if my rig doesn't sound right it drives me out of my mind.

It had been a year since I had retubed my 78 Princeton so I put some new 6v6's in.  Still icky.  I use a 5751 in V1 that was 5 years old so I ordered a new one.  Still icky.  My tech suggested I replace v3 with a new 12ax7.  Still icky. My tech asked if we had ever replaced the filter cap. I opened up the amp and saw that the filter cap was really old so I ordered a new one and decided to gig with my back up Deluxe Reverb until the new filter cap arrived.  The Deluxe sounded icky! (Icky, but louder)

I spent most of the gig staring at my pedal board because I now knew the culprit was somewhere in there.  

The next morning I A/B'd my 9v mod with the factory power supply and there was a noticeable difference in sound.  I had also noticed that the transmitter had been taking longer to fully charge.  I went back to the factory power supply and gigged that night in sonic happiness.

I asked a electronics wizard buddy of mine to explain why all 5v 2amp power supplies are not created equal and he said that the G10 power supply must be designed with a smart circuit that the G10 receiver recognizes and uses to correctly regulate it's power.  It's the same reason that many smart phones will not charge correctly with 3rd party chargers.

I asked a electronics wizard buddy of mine to explain why all 5v 2amp power supplies are not created equal and he said that the G10 power supply must be designed with a smart circuit that the G10 receiver recognizes and uses to correctly regulate it's power.  It's the same reason that many smart phones will not charge correctly with 3rd party chargers.

I don't have more than a guess on this issue, but I think this is unnecessarily complicating things...

I agree that all 5V 2A supplies are not created equal, and the differences can range from insignificant to relatively important. Noise, ripple and regulation can all be a factor on the operation of whatever is using it for a supply source, including the Relay G10.

Frankly, I doubt that the G10 receiver is looking for a handshake from a sophisticated charging circuit,  or inspecting the incoming supply voltage. Could be wrong, though -- it's happened before...   ;)

For the record, I frequently use mine with a power bank -- essentially, a battery -- so that I don't have to have an available AC outlet nearby all the time. It works just fine...

I don't have more than a guess on this issue, but I think this is unnecessarily complicating things...

I agree that all 5V 2A supplies are not created equal, and the differences can range from insignificant to relatively important. Noise, ripple and regulation can all be a factor on the operation of whatever is using it for a supply source, including the Relay G10.

Frankly, I doubt that the G10 receiver is looking for a handshake from a sophisticated charging circuit,  or inspecting the incoming supply voltage. Could be wrong, though -- it's happened before...   ;)

For the record, I frequently use mine with a power bank -- essentially, a battery -- so that I don't have to have an available AC outlet nearby all the time. It works just fine...

Maybe the 12v to 5v circuit I used was inferior.  The difference in tone for me was obvious. Especially when I used distortion.  I wouldn't be surprised however if the G10 receiver was looking for a handshake from the power supply.  It is a pretty sophisticated little gadget.  It's the first wireless I ever had that let me update software for the transmitter and receiver through the micro usb connector.  I would love to see a Line 6 tech weigh in on this.

I do not recommend powering your G10 with anything but the factory power supply. 

Did you measure voltage at the micro USB once you discovered where the problem was. I suspect something happened with the car charger circuit you used, or it was just a cheap converter that dirtied up the power. 

A good quality 9v to 5v DC/DC converter is a great way of going from your pedal board power supply to the G10. 

• 4 months later...

You could use a RC model car UBEC that taps the main battery to power the receiver. Those usually take any voltage and steps down to 5 or 6 volts (usually switchable via a dip switch or little bridge plug. They are pretty inexpensive. But you would have to attach your own 9v and micro USB plugs.

Here's a couple under $10 on amazon prime. 

BW® RC Servo BEC UBEC 3A 5V for Helicopter Airplane Receiver Servo Power Supply

YoungRC DC-DC Converter Step Down Module 3A 5V FPV UBEC for RC Quadcopter FPV Image Transmission FPV Holder Camera Servo Power Supply

I'm also hoping to solve this (super annoying) problem. this step down adapter seems like it could do it? Obviously need to get the correct 2.1mm connection on the upstream side but looks like the correct USB plug... And hopefully no fidelity issues as previously mentioned. I'll probably go ahead and try to cobble it together. 

DC DC Converter step down Module 6-30V 9V 24V 12V to 5V micro USB OUTPUT power https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RWY32A2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_EwDmBbG8PHX9F

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a 1Spot Truetone CS-7 which has 7 isolated outputs. One is 12v 100mah. I had been powering my G10 with a Lipo power bank but figured I'd try using that 12v output none of my pedals use.  I bought a simple 5.2 - 24v step down to 5v board on Amazon.

200217_16(1)-1500x1500.jpg
Has a regular female 9v DC socket one side and a USB Type A the other. 

The Power supply came with a reverse polarity cable in the extras. If you don't have one, you probably need one to get the right polarity for the micro USB, you you can get those separately for less than $10 here.

visualcyr-800x600.jpg
Worked a treat. If you have any spare outputs up to 24v this does a good job.

• 8 months later...