Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 G10 XLR Out to HELIX XLR Mic In?

MusicLaw

Now that the G10 has been out for well over 6 months, has anyone used their G10 Receiver Base's XLR Out to connect (an additional guitar) to their Helix via the Helix's XLR Mic Input? Of course, Helix's Global Settings > I/O > 48V Phantom Power must be "OFF"!

The G10's XLR Out is (most) likely Line Level. Line 6 does not provide their specs. I have not measured the XLR Output's signal level.

The Helix Mic In XLR is set up for Mic Level. Line 6 does not provide their specs. I'm guessing the input expects -60db to -40db. With the Helix Global Settings > I/O > Mic Gain set to 0dB.

I have not used any Mic's nor the Mic Input Block with my Helix. And I have not yet looked to see if the Mic parameters allow significant Input Level attenuation. A Gain Block and Compressor Block may be able to attenuate their output levels, but may be useless if the Mic Input Block is overloaded or clipping.

[Note: This post has also been made in the Relay Wireless Forums to get in seen by those who may not only view the Helix Forum.]

Re-read the thread's first sentence, paying particular attention to the parenthethical.

I still don't understand, but maybe the G10 does something I didn't know it did. Interested because I'm thinking of getting one. What does the XLR Out on the G10 have to do with a second guitar?

I haven't tried it, but I don't think the XLR out on the G10 is necessarily line level. I think that it is the same level as whatever the signal it's receiving from the transmitter is.

Might be.

I have used the G10's XLR Out (via an XLR to 1/4" TS cable) to feed a Fender Mustang III v.2 (at the same time as the G10's 1/4" Out fed a Fender Mustang IV v.2. Both Amps have the same Inputs and PreAmp electronics deck. When connected to the Amps' 1/4" Instrument Inputs both Amps responded the same. There was no significant difference. SImilarly when connected to the Amps' FXd Returns, both Amps responded the same. There was no significant difference. This could simply be a result of the way the Mustangs' Inputs are designed to accomodate a wide broad range of signal levels.

As the Helix's XLR Mic Input is probably designed for a far lower signal level (as are most Mic XLR Inputs) my first thought would be the G10's XLR Output may overload it driving it to distortion.

I'll know once I give it a try. None of my guitars have active pickups, so the more I think about it, the less concerned I am about trying it. I'll begin with the Guitars Vol Pots at 0 and very gradually bring up the level.

I hope to give this a go later this afternoon, time permitting. Otherwise, over the weekend....

I haven't tried what you're describing, but I did A/B the two outs. There's no level difference, but there's a definite tone diff between the two. As I understand it, because of the 10' cable emulation on the 1/4" there's a slight HiFreq attenuation that's not present on the XLR. That makes the level sound slightly higher on the XLR, but running through a freq analyzer the overall levels are the same, just slightly different frequencies.

Another added note about the G10 XLR out: Supposedly the XLR output does not have "cable tone technology".  Only the 1/4" out does. I can't remember where I read that though and I can't seem to find it.

Correct! The XLR output does not have the 10' CableTone affect applied as does the 1/4" output. This is documented in the G10 FAQs section of the Line 6 site.

Thurston and GunPoint: This is about whether the Helix's Mic In can be used for this purpose. Not whether or why Guitars may already be connected to Helix's Main Guitar and Aux Guitar Inputs.

Your OP: "Now that the G10 has been out for well over 6 months, has anyone used their G10 Receiver Base's XLR Out to connect (an additional guitar) to their Helix via the Helix's XLR Mic Input?"

Now its not about using additional guitars. Really hard to understand what you're trying to do here and why.

Whatever, was hoping to understand what you're doing to maybe help but also for my own benefit. Your thread, good luck.

It works!

Without measuring the signal levels, the G10's XLR out worked fine into the Helix XLR Mic Input without overdriving nor distorting the Helix's input. I used a Strat with Vintage Noisless Fender Pickups and Les Paul with ProBucker Pickups.

I also connected the G10's XLR to the Helix's FX Return and compared that to the signal from the G10's 1/4" Out connected to the Helix's Main Guitar In.

The G10's XLR signal out sounds a bit different (more top end) due to the XLR Out not having a 10' CableTone capacitance as does the G10's 1/4" Out signal.

The best (fullest, richest, most dynamic) sound was from using the Helix's Main Guitar In and the Helix's FX Return. Nonetheless, the G10's XLR out could be used without concern via the Helix's Mic In XLR.

Your OP: "Now that the G10 has been out for well over 6 months, has anyone used their G10 Receiver Base's XLR Out to connect (an additional guitar) to their Helix via the Helix's XLR Mic Input?"

Now its not about using additional guitars. Really hard to understand what you're trying to do here and why.

Whatever, was hoping to understand what you're doing to maybe help but also for my own benefit. Your thread, good luck.

Some people (myself included) like to think outside of the box and push the limits/flexibility of the equipment. I may run it this way so I don't have the "cable tone" coloring my signal if I happen to like it better. Others may have some other uses for it. 

That's why I posted about the A/B test I did. I had a preset that was a bit dull sounding, and it sounded much better using the G10 XLR Out. A preset that was fine sounded too bright. So the XLR and an A/B box can provide another tone option, maybe to help cut thu a mix, or?

• Upvote 1

Yup. Each of the G10's outputs sounded as good through Helix's FX Returns as they did through Helix's Main Guitar In!

Using the G10, instead of a Guitar Cable, the Helix inputs (Main Guitar In, AuxIn, FX Returns, Mic In) only see what the G10's Receiver Base Outputs provide. Thus, the guitar's impedence is isolated from the Helix Inputs by the G10. Nonetheless, each guitar really sounds good!

I'll try connecting the guitars directly (one of these days), to expore, to what extent the sound may differ.

Rock on! Loving the Helix and the G10!