Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best way to get over learning curve?

jordans0nly

Since being off, figured now was as good a time as any to fool around with the Helix. I've downloaded some presets, installed some IR's and messed around with making my own patches. Granted, I've got some decent sounds, but still, how long does it take to start getting some really good tones?

I've been trying to read manuals, watch videos, but it's just taking time I guess. Now, I was watching this Line 6 video and man, all sounds in the video sound amazing to me, https://youtu.be/1ipyL8HYVOI?list=RD53Qb3QqJJas. But, question is, what am I missing? Or doing wrong? Do I mess around with Global EQ settings? Leave it on? Off? 

Right now. just playing through a parts strat that sounds great. But as of right now, the presets I'm making just dont sound "big" enough. Do I need to change outputs or inputs? I know this thing can get get sounds, but just scared I wont be able to coax them out of it. Although I'm sure I can, just need to spend the time. 

But the big question is, what's the over/under on when you guys were saying, "Wow, it's starting to sound great and I'm really getting it now". I've had it a week, probably spent 6-8 hrs with it. Still not "there" yet. 

Just looking for pointers for a noob is all. 

i like to run helix vol knob at 12.00 at least, so try that and set the knobs on the monitor to taste. Behringer aren't renowned for great sound tho. so dont expect miracles. counter intuitively- cutting the lows and high's in helix (maybe on the cab section) may help you get a bigger better sound

i like to run helix vol knob at 12.00 at least, so try that and set the knobs on the monitor to taste. Behringer aren't renowned for great sound tho. so dont expect miracles. counter intuitively- cutting the lows and high's in helix (maybe on the cab section) may help you get a bigger better sound

Yeah - I'm not expecting a miracle with the wedge, but it'll do for now. I have been keeping it at 12, noise gate helps with the single coils as well. 

The official line 6 demo's by that guy always sound fantastic to me.

But he puts the helix into a full line 6 PA rig, of about 4000w.

You are comparing this to your Behringer wedge.

Also you might want a stereo rig for a bigger sound.

Try this.

Set level to max.

Set speakers where they work that way.

Go to a totally empty patch and make your own patch from scratch all the way. Don't copy anything from another patch. Just work there.

After a while, you realize how to use both path 1 and 2, and then you figure out everything you need to know about Helix eventually.

I honestly believe that the only way to learn this unit (or, really, anything like it) is to make patches from scratch.

Try this.

Set level to max.

Set speakers where they work that way.

Go to a totally empty patch and make your own patch from scratch all the way. Don't copy anything from another patch. Just work there.

After a while, you realize how to use both path 1 and 2, and then you figure out everything you need to know about Helix eventually.

I honestly believe that the only way to learn this unit (or, really, anything like it) is to make patches from scratch.

Thanks for the input. That's what I started doing last night. I'll have to read up more on how to set up the amp/cabs though.

The first preset I did was the Plexi amp/cab model with no adjustments and a room reverb, no adjustments. Sounded fantastic. Just start adding stuff from there. I have found that keeping things fairly simple in terms of effects keeps things sounding good. It is easy to add too much crap to your sound and really muck things up. 

The first preset I did was the Plexi amp/cab model with no adjustments and a room reverb, no adjustments. Sounded fantastic. Just start adding stuff from there. I have found that keeping things fairly simple in terms of effects keeps things sounding good. It is easy to add too much crap to your sound and really muck things up. 

Seems the best way to go. Are IR's still the way to go, even with your own patches?

Seems the best way to go. Are IR's still the way to go, even with your own patches?

I use both IRs and built in cabs. I have found some IRs that I like much better compared to the built in, and some built in cabs that I like better that the equivalent IR. 

Try the free Redwirez (Marshall 1960 412) and Ownhammer (Mesa 412) IRs before you decide on spending money on any. It's all a matter of personal taste. Also, the IRs save me time because they can sound great just throwing it in a preset. The built in cabs can require quite a bit of tweaking before you like it. 

I use both IRs and built in cabs. I have found some IRs that I like much better compared to the built in, and some built in cabs that I like better that the equivalent IR. 

Try the free Redwirez (Marshall 1960 412) and Ownhammer (Mesa 412) IRs before you decide on spending money on any. It's all a matter of personal taste. Also, the IRs save me time because they can sound great just throwing it in a preset. The built in cabs can require quite a bit of tweaking before you like it. 

Thanks. I did see those, thought about using them. Also, I read somewhere that  you could play a loop, then tweak it while it's looping, that correct?

As others have said, start from scratch to learn your way around.   Then I would check out something like these tutorials for specific things you are trying to achieve.  http://www.thehelixchannel.com/tutorials.asp    Scott also has a bunch of FreeSets on there if there is something you are interested in (he also sells patche sets too).  But starting on your own first, ask questions or google for things you run into...  Once you're at the point of... "hmm that sounds good, but it needs more..." than you are at a place where you can start borrowing other ideas and downloading patches and such.

On the other side... to answer your question...  I've been using mine for over a year and still learning tricks.  and there's Richie Castellano who has some videos online who is in a well known touring band who bought the Helix on a short break, and 3 days later was using it on stage.   Really... YMMV 

As others have said, start from scratch to learn your way around.   Then I would check out something like these tutorials for specific things you are trying to achieve.  http://www.thehelixchannel.com/tutorials.asp    Scott also has a bunch of FreeSets on there if there is something you are interested in (he also sells patche sets too).  But starting on your own first, ask questions or google for things you run into...  Once you're at the point of... "hmm that sounds good, but it needs more..." than you are at a place where you can start borrowing other ideas and downloading patches and such.

On the other side... to answer your question...  I've been using mine for over a year and still learning tricks.  and there's Richie Castellano who has some videos online who is in a well known touring band who bought the Helix on a short break, and 3 days later was using it on stage.   Really... YMMV 

I know! I was amazed at his sound, fantastic. I'm sure I'll get there eventually, lol. 

What you can do is:

* Choose one amp and cabinet.

* Go through all the amps and select the one that appeals to you the most.

* Then go through all the cabs and settle for the most promising one.

* Then go through all the mics... you know already what ;)

* Then start tweaking the amp controls to get it to be as you like the best.

* Then add a distort pedal in front of the amp, see how that changes the sound, what different pedals do.

* Add delay and a bit of reverb, hear how that sounds.

And yeah, you can have a looper playing at the beginning of the chain so you can better compare.

But I've found that the final truth is still playing it in real time - some combinations may sound good with a specific musical idea, but are not that versatile.