Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Song mode

LaurentJoulzy

Hey guys!

Sorry if this topic has already been discussed, could not find anything with the search engine.

I submitted an idea on ideascale about the Song mode: http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Song-mode/864431-23508. It is all about saving time when managing presets for gigs or even just rehearsals. I wanted to know what you think about it. 

I must precise I'm not an Helix user (yet :) ), but former X3 Live user (and many other. units in this price range). I currently play in two rock cover bands with 50-60 songs. For now, I use a pedal switcher (from GLab), which is great for the price, but:

1) lacks some memory to store all my presets for both bands. Even for one band/gig, I need to optimize the banks/presets organization, making my pedalboard layout not very intuitive.

2) lacks this "song mode" feature. When the order of the songs changes, I have to spend hours reorganizing my presets and learning the new layout.

3) probably lacks 12 lcd screens :D And a lot of thinks Helix can (or should or will soon be able to) do...

This is the main reason why I am considering changing my setup. I don't think I can buy a unit (mfx or switcher) with just the standard bank/presets organization. And I don't think Line 6 concept of "setlist" changes anything for me, but maybe I'm wrong...

Does anyone have any experience with Helix in the same kind of situation ? How do you handle this issue for gigs and rehearsals ?

Thanks for you advice or idea support !

Raph

I am not a pro musician, but a church worship band guy. I use the Helix in a way you mention. I have a preset for each song. I currently have the top 4 switches configured for presets, and the bottom 4 for snapshots within the currently loaded preset. the left two are bank up/down. 

I will be transitioning to having all 8 switches "snapshots" within the currently loaded preset, and the left two are preset up/down. Then I will just load the songs in order the navigate through them sequentially with the left two switches. 

Preset locations are supper easy to change from the Helix. 

I believe this is the functionality you are referring to. 

Thanks for you reply jbuhajla.

I don't know precisely how much I will use multiple presets for one song versus single preset with several snapshots. I was considering using snapshots only for songs with very specific tones (for example combining magnetic and piezo pickups) or delay trails need. And keep using basic (and preferably shared) presets for simpler songs with more common tones (always the same lead tone, or the same clean with chorus).

That's off-topic, but I really fear spending too much time dialing presets for each song (which I know I will love, this unit seems sooooo good :) ) and  less time playing.

But it is good to know moving presets is easy. It is also easy when you have to move and keep grouped 2 or 3 presets at a time ?

Each of the Helix's Setlist's have a 128 Preset capacity. Each Preset has the capacity for 8 Snapshots. You could easily create and name a Preset for each of your Songs, with the Preset having several Snapshots for the different configurations needed within the song.

Take a look at Page 35 in the Helix User Guide Ver 2 Rev D PDF (available from the Line 6 site Support area). This shows a table of an example of how Snapshots can be used for different sections of a song.

Depending on how you choose to apply Helix's FX and Amps to your songs, you may find Helix's Stomp features within a Preset may be sufficient for each Song. Others savor the new (since July) Snapshot's feature.

You may also backup and restore Setlists and Presets as you wish (to your computer). Thus, as your Songs and SetLists may change, it is easy to manage these as you desire.

Using the online editor makes it really easy to change the order of your presets. I do it every week for church. I also use it to alphebetize the songs saved on the computer, then import the alphabetized presets into setlists back to the Helix. 

I have setlists populated with presets for each of the songs we do or have ever done. If we have a last minute song change, I just move that new song into one of the 4 slots on top and I have EXACTLY what I used for that song last time we played it. 

I generally only have 4 snapshots per song, but may start using snapshot/stomp mode so I can toggle on/off various gain/drive pedals for each snapshot. HUGE flexibility. 

Thanks for the tips. Snapshots look really convenient. It's very similar to what you get with a loops switcher: a single set of pedal, and you activate/deactivate some for each section of your song. My switcher cannot go into "pedal mode", so I have to save switches for my main pedals (OD / Mod / Boost). Helix looks so flexible for this !

I want the best of both worlds. A variety of tones while being able to reuse the main bricks that make your own sound. These bricks can be presets (in song mode) or blocks (in snapshots). That's why I also support an idea about default or saved blocks :) http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Ability-to-save-default-blocks/741187-23508

When I was a Pod X3 user, my main issue was to keep my dozens of presets consistent, especially the output level. Amp volume was a nightmare to manage. I got fed up with that and sold it to go back with a tube amp...

move and keep grouped 2 or 3 presets at a time ?

The editor software makes it super easy to reorder groups of presets. On Helix itself, you can only move/reorder one at a time but it is so easy it might still be fine. There's no button pressing to reorder on the unit. In set list view, scroll to highlight the preset and scroll the dedicated reorder knob to move it to a new location.

Thanks for the tips. Snapshots look really convenient. It's very similar to what you get with a loops switcher: a single set of pedal, and you activate/deactivate some for each section of your song. My switcher cannot go into "pedal mode", so I have to save switches for my main pedals (OD / Mod / Boost). Helix looks so flexible for this !

I want the best of both worlds. A variety of tones while being able to reuse the main bricks that make your own sound. These bricks can be presets (in song mode) or blocks (in snapshots). That's why I also support an idea about default or saved blocks :) http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Ability-to-save-default-blocks/741187-23508

When I was a Pod X3 user, my main issue was to keep my dozens of presets consistent, especially the output level. Amp volume was a nightmare to manage. I got fed up with that and sold it to go back with a tube amp...

Not only can you turn on/off multiple effects with one snapshot, but you can change any parameter in all of the models. I often change the amp gain setting between snapshots because I like the sound of naturally aspirated overdrive. I can also layer boosts in front as well. I'll also layer delays and change the mix/feedback on them as well. So much you can do with snapshots.