Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to connect a Digitech Trio+ to Line6 Amplifi

enzo1

Hi,

I recently purchased a Amplifi 30 for home practice.

I would like to connect my Digitech Trio+, but I am not sure how to do it the best way.

My first guess would be to connect the guitar output to the input of the amplifi, and the mixer output to the Aux input.

What are your suggestions?

I have a mixer at the studio, but want to keep it simple at home, using only Amplifi.

Thank's for your suggestions.

Victor

I have a Digitech Trio+ that I mostly use with my Firehawk 1500 - and it's great.

I also have an Amplifi 75 that I'd like to use it with and connecting it the way you mention works ok, but the issue is that the Trio+'s looper is only able to record the dry guitar signal from the guitar input when connected like this, which means any effects selected on the amp get applied the live guitar and to any loops that are playing - the issue being you can't have a clean rhythm sound recorded on a loop and then solo over it using a distorted tone.

The way I have it setup on the Firehawk is to use the FX send output to feed the Digitech's FX return so that the looper records guitar sound with effects applied, but the problem is the Amplifi dosnt have a FX loop or line out... But there might be a way to do this..

There is another thread on here where someone is using a powered USB hub with the Amplifi and a "Griffin iMic" audio interface connected to it which provides a line out from the amp, so if you had one of these..

You could connect it like this:

Guitar -> Trio+ Guitar In

Trio+ FX Send -> Amplifi Guitar In

Line Out from Griffin iMic - > Trio+ FX Return

Trio+ Mix Out -> Amplifi Aux In

I have a Griifin iMic on order and will try it and let you know how it goes when it arrives...

So, what do you think about the Trio+ ? have you used it much?

Hi richiecat,

Thank you for your feedback.

It was very useful.

I still have to get a cable to connect the Trio+ to the Amplifi 30 through the Aux input to test this solution.

As soon as I get one, I will post my remarks.

Applying different effects to the loop and the direct guitar without a effects loop send and return is a problem that seems to be an issue with the Trio+, independently from the amp or setup you are using. 

If you want to record different effects, my solution to resolve this problem, would be to use your DAW and sequence your song in Logic (or whatever software you have), recording your lead track independently. 

I think Trio+ was never thought as a replacement for a full and powerful DAW.

Regarding my experience with the Trio+, it is also very recent. It works very well with my studio setup with a direct link through the mixer output.

The only struggle I had was selecting the correct "groove" and tempo I have in my head, after recording the basic chords. This comes with time and experience.

However, we have to have in mind that Trio+ will never be a replacement for a band.

It is just a very useful and powerful tool to sketch down new ideas and test them on the fly.

I have used a loop station for a very long time, and I have enjoyed every bit of it, but this is just another step further in the right direction in what my needs are as a layout tool.

I love it! 

It just needs tweaking a bit around to get as close as possible to what your ideas are.

Thank's again.

Victor