Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax usb interface with Logic Pro x?

Hi folks,

Anybody know if the Variax usb interface connected to a Mac would allow Logic Pro x to receive input from the guitar?  I am hoping to avoid using a mic.   I also have both a firehawk and an amplifi available if one of those is required but I was kind of wanting to just use the guitar directly into the DAW.

thanks!

Anybody know if the Variax usb interface connected to a Mac would allow Logic Pro x to receive input from the guitar?

No. The Variax interface is only for firmware updates and making custom presets thru Workbench. You can, however, connect the Variax to one of your other Line 6 devices and then use that device's USB connection to get your Variax sounds into the computer for recording purposes.

Hi dugbug....shawnmx is correct. A direct Variax to Mac/PC, via the internet cable provided, only allows you to access the Workshop software and/or firmware updates.

I use Firehawk FX as my interface into Logic Pro X without issues by connecting my Variax or regular guitar into the fire hawk and then via the UBS connection on my firehawk into a UBS port on my Mac.  

However, please be aware that you will need to set the input and output settings within Logic (preferences, general, audio) to your connected device (in my case the Firehawk) and monitor your logic output through firehawk headphones or speaker attached to your device (again in my case the Firehawk).  Otherwise, you may get extreme guitar sound delays and or unwanted digital noise.

Also, be aware of your Logic input settings on the channel you are recording your guitar where you need to decide if you want stereo or mono, as this will effect certain effects, such as reverb, etc. in the way they are recorded.  While the sound in stereo sounds great when heard solo, stereo effects can also occupy a lot of space within your mix and get muddy when other instruments in your song are recorded and played back.

• Like 1