Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume dropping out after update

cptnstlite

Hello,

I ran the latest update hoping it would fix a slight problem I am having. The volume is randomly dropping out. If I select a new patch or reboot the HELIX, the volume returns. It also affects the headphone jack. I do not have a foot controller hooked up. 

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this? I'm really happy with the HELIX and hope this is just a bug. Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes, I do. Any tips or suggestions to spare?  :) 

Edited to add: I've had the unit since the middle of December and it has performed flawlessly. In the past couple of days it's gotten to the point where it won't go more than a few minutes without dropping out. Since the unit was fine for the first few weeks and just started acting up, I'm more inclined to think it's a defective unit than a bug. If I knew for certain that it was a bug, I'd hang in there. Since I don't know for certain, I may need to return the unit which I absolutely DO NOT want to do. I say that as a Kemper owner! 

Edited by cptnstlite

The volume block randomly goes to 1%. It happened to me on the last two firmware revisions. After updating to 2.11, I changed all of my volume blocks to the default EXP2, and have not had any more issues with the volume block dropping. 

Firmware 2.12 was released today. I have no idea if this issue was corrected. It is not specifically mentioned in the release notes. If you still have the problem after installing fw 2.12, contact Line 6 and your vendor to consider replacing the unit.

Interesting. It appears that my issue has nothing to do with the volume block issue since I am not using a controller. I will say that since posting, I've played for hours and only had it hiccup twice. If the dropout only occurs at that rate, it would seem to indicate that it's not a hardware issue. I will keep an ear on it, I have until the end of the month to return the unit - WHICH I DON'T WANT TO DO!  :)

Thanks for the replies and input, I appreciate it. 

Expression pedals 1 and 2 are the on board expression pedal. There is a toe switch that can switch between the two. If you have your volume block assigned to expression pedal 1, then it may be the cause of the issue of the volume randomly going to 1%. Expression pedal 2 is the default for whatever reason. 

It seems you have the Helix Rack and are not using the Helix Control device or any other external pedal controller. In that case I suggest you try removing from your presets any FX block that requires a pedal controller (e.g VOL, WAH) and also removing any pedal controller assigned to any amp/FX parameter. The assignment of a virtual controller to a non-existent physical controller may be causing confusion in the firmware.

To begin with, take note of any preset where you experience this behaviour. Inspect the preset for the above factors and remove them. Observe whether the behaviour continues.

If you find a preset where the behaviour occurs and there are no blocks or parameters that are defined to use a pedal controller then I suspect a hardware issue. Open a support ticket or replace the device within the return period.