Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Does Helix do Techno

bsd512

Not strictly techno, but my favorite project among those I'm currently involved in, is... well, we are calling it "electronic rock", just to let people get the idea.
I'm squeezing Helix real tight and I still feel it has lots and lots more I haven't still got around to use.
Alongside the Helix, I'm using a Roland GR-55, a GK3 equipped Variax (and a "regular" guitar too), an E-Bow, and I'll be soon adding an H-9 (for those kinds of things at which Eventide excels). The thing is, by itself, with the "normal" guitar, I get pretty synthy sounds out of Helix, if I want. In fact, I'm only using the Roland in about 30% of the songs. 
Oddly, I still haven't found any use for the 3OSC synth model. It doesn't give me anything I can't do better on the Roland (well, the GR-55 is 3/4 guitar synth, after all). I got more usable tones out of the Growler model of the HD generation, and some other synth models in the XT. I used to get a good synth bass tone out of one of the models I had in my XT Live, it was perfect for Hancock's Chameleon.

Nice but I wouldn't call that just Techno. More like Uncle Ted Techno. :D

Thanks!! I'll take it. :)

I really just discovered the electronic drum kits in Logic and was playing around. The more I messed around, the more the groove grew on me, and, well, I ended up with was 3 overlaid drum tracks (two electronic and one regular kit) and my guitar w/Helix of course. Apparently I have trouble following even "guidelines". :-)

Hey, I had fun, that's what matters. :D

Those other clips and samples folks followed up with sound like real pros - unlike me. Those sound really great!    The original post was largely made in jest - just a bad pun on all the videos going around "Does Helix do X" - replace X with whatever. In this case, Techno. :)

That's really good. Care to expand a little on how you did this? How much of it is Helix, and how much is other processing, such as a DAW. What instruments were used?

Thanks!

The instruments: Drums, Stick, 2 synths, sampled bass.

Almost all that is played with the Stick is Helix only:

1) Bowed Stick - 00:09; 02:21

2) Doubling the sampled bass

3) Bitcrush - 01:51

4) Jack noises - 03:09

5) Bowed with pitch shift - 04:45; 05:15

6) Arpeggio (.R) - 04:12 etc

• Upvote 1

The union of EDM and the electric guitar is the future of music. I know as I have been to a recent NAMM show in Anaheim and watched its beginnings a couple years ago . I am 55 years young so will be long gone when things in pop music really change but I amAnd it hopeful something new is coming along.And it will keep guitar music growing and changing as it must to survive!

Thanks!

The instruments: Drums, Stick, 2 synths, sampled bass.

Almost all that is played with the Stick is Helix only:

1) Bowed Stick - 00:09; 02:21

2) Doubling the sampled bass

3) Bitcrush - 01:51

4) Jack noises - 03:09

5) Bowed with pitch shift - 04:45; 05:15

6) Arpeggio (.R) - 04:12 etc

Thanks. Had to look up Stick. The most obvious thing I could hear that's from Helix was the bitcrusher.

Very creative piece of music.

The union of EDM and the electric guitar is the future of music. I know as I have been to a recent NAMM show in Anaheim and watched its beginnings a couple years ago . I am 55 years young so will be long gone when things in pop music really change but I amAnd it hopeful something new is coming along.And it will keep guitar music growing and changing as it must to survive!

JTSC777,

I think you need to go way back - more than just a couple of years - for the beginnings of the union of electric guitar and EDM.

I will simply point you in the direction of the amazing "System 7", alias 777, Mirror System (featuring Steve Hillage) and this quote from:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/6959-System-7

UK-based techno and ambient outfit System 7 was formed by Hillage and Giraudy in 1990. Rather than simply being a duo, System 7 has always been more of an extended collaboratory project with contributions from a wide range of other artists including such luminaries as Derrick May, Alex Paterson (of The Orb), Carl Craig and Laurent Garnier.

Highly proficient programmers and mixers, System 7 are also one of the few ambient/techno acts to employ the guitar.

Check 'em out. Then have a look at Steve's Wikipedia entry for some of the other stuff he has done. A quite interesting career!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Hillage

EDIT: Hillage won the "Visionary" award at the 2013 Progressive Music Awards.

Here's System 7 Live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YyFY07qvDk

• Upvote 1

The bigger question is....why would you WANT to????

Why shouln't we ;

This was great fun doing and I guess Jim would have loved to give it a try too :-)

https://soundcloud.com/lulu-m/jim-on-the-edm-train

Only guitar sound was recorded with the Helix! (the sound is a bit rough & bitey, as I discovered that the wire in my HH pickup was broken and had to be replaced)

• Upvote 1

Why shouln't we ;

This was great fun doing and I guess Jim would have loved to give it a try too :-)

https://soundcloud.com/lulu-m/jim-on-the-edm-train

Only guitar sound was recorded with the Helix! (the sound is a bit rough & bitey, as I discovered that the wire in my HH pickup was broken and had to be replaced)

Nice!  I approve.   :)

Of course, you might want to save that dry track if you recorded it since you'll never be able to quite get that sound again since it was based on a pickup malfunction which may not be reproducible. :-)

• Upvote 1

About the time that Hair Metal died and all the hot chicks migrated over to Techno...

Well I'm certainly not gonna shed any tears over the demise of hair metal, but replacing it with techno is roughly akin to trading smallpox for the AIDS epidemic...would you like the 5 lb, or the 10 lb bag of crap? ;)