Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

MIDI Commands from a DAW

mr-es335

Hello,

I am using a DAW called SAWStudio (www.sawstudio.com).

Though I have been able to select presets, I have been unable to select SetLists.

The parameter data is as follows: MidiChan, Bank# - which is entered in decimal format.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Not at all familiar with SAWStudio, but CC32 selects the setlist, 0-7.

On Helix, if you press the preset knob, there is some text above the second encoder (knob below the screen) that tells you the specific midi data you'll need to send.

Hello,

Here are the parameter commands that are available to me:

Parameter Data [MidiChan, Prg#] - Dec
The Midi Program Change option sends a MIDI Program Change command to external devices.

Parameter Data [xx, xx, xx, ...] - Hex
The Midi Hex String option sends a MIDI string of Hex numbers to external devices.

Parameter Data [ddd, ddd, ddd, ...] - Dec
The Midi Dec String option sends a MIDI string of Decimal numbers to external devices.

Parameter Data [MidiChan, Bnk#] - Dec
The Midi Bank Select option allows you to send a Bank Select command to your chosen Midi channel.

Parameter Data [MidiChan, Bnk#, Prg#] - Dec
The Midi Bank Select / Program Change option automatically follows the Bank Select with a Program Change command.

Parameter Data [aaa ^m ^j ...] - Text [^m = CR, j = LF]
The Midi Ascii String option sends straight Ascii Text strings to external devices. You may include Ctrl char codes such as carriage returns and linefeeds by using the "^" character followed by the Ctrl code letter such as "^m" for a carriage return (dec 13) and "^j" for a linefeed (dec 10).

Which one of these would be the best for me to use to send the necessary information to Helix?

PS: I have tried everything and am at a complete loss on how to proceed.

I am a recovering SAW-family user. I was a die-hard for years. There was nothing else out there that could touch it. Alas, it did not keep up with the demands of the modern studio and is sorely lacking in many features. MIDI is one of those areas. If you are glued to SAW you are probably up the creek for set list selection via MIDI.

When I couldn't deal with the extreme "1998 limitations" of SAW anymore, I researched and made the jump to REAPER. It is the modern equivalent of what SAW was for so many years. Extremely efficient (workflow- and CPU-wise) and is made with extreme care by a small group of dedicated engineers. Incidentally, it also has highly evolved everything including MIDI support. Definitely check it out if you are feeling the pinch of SAW.

Sorry I don't have better news.

Hello,

SAWStudio has an add-on called Midi Workshop. I have been able to do SetList changes, Preset changes and Snapshot changes via Midi Workshop...but NOT using the Control Track.

So, I know that data IS being sent from SAW.

Parameter Data [MidiChan, Bnk#] - Dec

The Midi Bank Select option allows you to send a Bank Select command to your chosen Midi channel.

Parameter Data [MidiChan, Bnk#, Prg#] - Dec

Either of these may work, if their notion of Bnk is Bank LSB (CC32) and not Bank MSB (CC00). Not sure SAW lets you choose.

Hello,

Have a peep (MIDIOX):

SAWStudio

TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT

000300C2 1 -- B0 00 00 1 --- CC: Bank MSB

000300C2 1 -- B0 20 00 1 --- CC: Bank LSB

00030740 1 -- C0 00 -- 1 --- PC: Acc. Grand Piano

Helix

TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT

00005A46 2 -- B0 00 00 1 --- CC: Bank MSB

00005A46 2 -- B0 20 00 1 --- CC: Bank LSB

00005A48 2 -- C0 00 -- 1 --- PC: Acc. Grand Piano