Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix and Two Eventide H9's (MIDI)

sdre9096

Hi all. 

I have a JTV89f, two H9's and planning on getting a Helix to replace my HD500x. Questions:

I know Helix has the capability to control the H9's via MIDI. I want to create patches that combine elements from both the Helix and the H9's. So my question is.... If I build a patch in the Helix using saved presets from my H9's as fx loops will the Helix automatically recall said presets in the H9 when I load the saved patch in the Helix? 

Yes, the Helix can recall presets from the H9s. I have a H9, and set up a MIDI PC command to send to the H9 when the Helix loads a preset that uses the H9. Easy to have the Helix send out multiple PC commands. Just make sure to set up your H9s with different MIDI channel IDs so you can load different presets on each.

The H9 seems to do MIDI Thru just fine. I've also a EHX HOG2 which has MIDI control. My chain goes Helix -> H9 -> HOG2, and the MIDI CC signals I send to HOG have the intended effect. I have not tried sending MIDI expression signals from the Helix to either stomp, so can't comment on that type of use.

There are two ways to trigger the PC commands the H9 needs. If you have a one-to-one correspondence between your Helix presets and your H9 presets, the Helix can automatically send out a PC when a preset is loaded, but the preset numbers have to correspond.

The second way (and what I use) is to set up MIDI commands to send when a preset is loaded. That can be taken further and have commands sent when snapshots are triggered.

Using the "Instant" Commands in Command Center, you can send PCs to devices on separate channels, and change banks, too. I set up a simple test preset, and it sends the proper messages, as verified in MIDIOX. Though I don't have any hardware to test it on, it should work.

Yes, the Helix can recall presets from the H9s. I have a H9, and set up a MIDI PC command to send to the H9 when the Helix loads a preset that uses the H9. Easy to have the Helix send out multiple PC commands. Just make sure to set up your H9s with different MIDI channel IDs so you can load different presets on each.

The H9 seems to do MIDI Thru just fine. I've also a EHX HOG2 which has MIDI control. My chain goes Helix -> H9 -> HOG2, and the MIDI CC signals I send to HOG have the intended effect. I have not tried sending MIDI expression signals from the Helix to either stomp, so can't comment on that type of use.

There are two ways to trigger the PC commands the H9 needs. If you have a one-to-one correspondence between your Helix presets and your H9 presets, the Helix can automatically send out a PC when a preset is loaded, but the preset numbers have to correspond.

The second way (and what I use) is to set up MIDI commands to send when a preset is loaded. That can be taken further and have commands sent when snapshots are triggered.

You can also map the H9s to call up presets that aren't the same preset number that the Helix transmits (such as triggering PC 2 in Helix calls up preset 4 in the H9).  

Thank you all for taking the time to respond! Really! :)  A few more reads of what you guys said/having the Helix here to test everything should help. As long as I can save a Helix preset to automatically launch my saved H9 presets(FX loop) then im golden.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond! Really! :)  A few more reads of what you guys said/having the Helix here to test everything should help. As long as I can save a Helix preset to automatically launch my saved H9 presets(FX loop) then im golden.

I've got the same setup. Helix + 2 H9's. It's a great combo. It's really cool how easy it is to play with different signal paths without mucking about with cables. 

I've got the same setup. Helix + 2 H9's. It's a great combo. It's really cool how easy it is to play with different signal paths without mucking about with cables. 

Awesome! Anyway you could describe your MIDI setup in detail? Im confused to how to hook it up even. MIDI out from helix to first H9 ?master? MIDI in to H9 MIDI out to second H9 MIDI in?

What channels do you have them set up as?  Is the first one the master/second slave? Sorry a bit of a newb with this stuff

I would hook it up as Helix (MIDI Out) -> (MIDI In) H9-1 (MIDI Out) -> (MIDI In) H9-2.

Assign each of the H9s unique MIDI IDs. Also, turn off the Helix's automatic PC messaging in globals.

Then, in each preset (and possibly, individual snapshots), have the Helix send out instant commands to each of the H9s to recall the H9 presets you want.

I'd hook up each H9 in its own FX loop, rather than chain their audio. That way you have maximum flexibility in where you each one in any given Helix preset.

Not automatically unless preset 001 on helix is alos 001 on the H9s. You have to send commands to change presets on H9 when recalling Helix presets. Pretty easy though.

Then, in each preset (and possibly, individual snapshots), have the Helix send out instant commands to each of the H9s to recall the H9 presets you want.

I'd hook up each H9 in its own FX loop, rather than chain their audio. That way you have maximum flexibility in where you each one in any given Helix preset.

I also have instant commands changing H9 parameters with snapshot change :)

Not automatically unless preset 001 on helix is alos 001 on the H9s. You have to send commands to change presets on H9 when recalling Helix presets. Pretty easy though.

MIDI/cables connected. Anyway I could get a more detailed description of how its actually setup for ya'll?  :unsure:  :unsure:

For me it's set up so that each snapshot sends an instant CC message to H9. Everything is in the manual, I'm far from Helix and Mac atm...

The only caveat is that you have to guess the right values, as Helix transmits regular CC values but H9 translates them to its various parameter values, which aren't 1-128 of course.

In H9 editor app you find all CC mappings

MIDI/cables connected. Anyway I could get a more detailed description of how its actually setup for ya'll?  :unsure:  :unsure:

I'm at my computer right now, so here's a screenshot of how to set up the instant command to control an H9. In this case, my H9 is set up as MIDI Id 3. If you are using two H9s, give them separate IDs and then send a separate command for each.

post-2303377-0-84188900-1484690079_thumb.jpg

You set this up on the default snapshot for a preset, or on each snapshot in a preset if you want the H9 to switch from snapshot to snapshot.

The H9 wants a MIDI PC message (not a CC, as tomas infers above) to switch settings. You simply issue a PC message with the program # set to the H9 bank. The H9 counts from 0, so in this case, PC #5 loads what shows on the H9 as bank 6.

One other thing - if you are connecting your computer to the H9 via USB, it ignores all MIDI commands coming over the MIDI ports. You have to unplug the USB cable to get it to work with commands coming from the Helix.

The H9 has some additional MIDI capabilities to map PC messages to different settings, but you'll need to read the manual for details on that. I like to keep it simple, but if you are doing a lot of MIDI automation, the H9's extra capabilities could come in handy.

• Upvote 1

I'm at my computer right now, so here's a screenshot of how to set up the instant command to control an H9. In this case, my H9 is set up as MIDI Id 3. If you are using two H9s, give them separate IDs and then send a separate command for each.

attachicon.gifH9.jpg

You set this up on the default snapshot for a preset, or on each snapshot in a preset if you want the H9 to switch from snapshot to snapshot.

The H9 wants a MIDI PC message (not a CC, as tomas infers above) to switch settings. You simply issue a PC message with the program # set to the H9 bank. The H9 counts from 0, so in this case, PC #5 loads what shows on the H9 as bank 6.

One other thing - if you are connecting your computer to the H9 via USB, it ignores all MIDI commands coming over the MIDI ports. You have to unplug the USB cable to get it to work with commands coming from the Helix.

The H9 has some additional MIDI capabilities to map PC messages to different settings, but you'll need to read the manual for details on that. I like to keep it simple, but if you are doing a lot of MIDI automation, the H9's extra capabilities could come in handy.

Thanks for the reply! Followed the instructions as per your setup. H91 is set up to midi channel 3 and H92 is set up to midi channel 4. When I scroll up with the PC message nothing seems to happen on the h9. If I save pc5 it won't load that with the saved preset

I'm not talking about switching PRESETS, which of course needs MIDI PC, but about modifying settings in the same program, thus avoiding the gap in sound that H9 has while switching presets!!

That needs CC's and it works like having snapshots in H9 as well! Try that ;)

For example I have a song where my Crystals preset is up an octave in the verse and down an octave in the chorus, and I change it with CC associated to snapshots.

I'm communicating to both the Helix and the H9's through Ableton Live, so my setup likely won't help anyone else. I need this so I can playback the program changes with my backing tracks. Live triggers the Helix's preset. The Helix's preset then triggers the H9's presets.

Tommas - sorry I misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification.

sdre -

First, double check to make sure that your cables are hooked up properly.

Second, check the MIDI global settings on the Helix (Global Settings -> MIDI/Tempo).

- make sure the MIDI Base channel doesn't conflict with either of the H9s.

- MIDI PC Send/Receive should be OFF

Third, check the MIDI settings on the H9s. (Pedal -> MIDI settings)

- MIDI Receive channel - sounds like you've set this, but check it again.

- MIDI Output Mode should be Thru (or Thru+C)

- MIDI Over Bluetooth - probably doesn't matter, but I set it to No

- also make sure you havent messed with the PC or CC mappings

Third, you need to unplug the USB cable to the H9 if you have it connected. When the USB is connected, it ignores MIDI over the DIN cables

And last, you might need to move off your Helix preset and then back on to it to get the MIDI command to fire.

Thanks to everyone this newb is on his way!  :D Cant thank you guys enough! 

Can I get the H9s to always slave to the Helix's tempo? 

H9s hold 99 presets. What happens when I run out of those? Like how would I load presets 101 and beyond?

Thanks to everyone this newb is on his way!  :D Cant thank you guys enough! 

Can I get the H9s to always slave to the Helix's tempo? 

H9s hold 99 presets. What happens when I run out of those? Like how would I load presets 101 and beyond?

Glad you got it working!

No, you can't slave the H9 to Helix tempo. Helix doesn't do MIDI clock, either as master or slave. It seems like a lot of people are asking for this, hopefully Line 6 has it scheduled for implementation soon.

H9s hold 99 presets. You can use your computer to back up and restore preset lists, but that's not a live, on-the-fly sort of thing. If you are looking to do a 1:1 thing between your Helix presets H9 presets, you're basically limited to 99.

If you are looking to do a 1:1 thing between your Helix presets H9 presets...

Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread. 1:1 mapping may work for you, but I would suggest not to do this :)

Ideally, you would rather define in each Helix preset which PC # is sent to your H9, so that :

- you can associate the same H9 patch to several Helix presets

- when duplicating/moving patches on the Helix, you do not need to modify your H9 patches, and do not need to modify the PC # sent by Helix.

Bye.

Raph

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering if someone can help me. I'm trying to set up the helix to bypass and activate the H9. It works. Problem is when I switch patches the light is always reversed to how I want it. Bypass is not lit and bypass is lit. I've tried messing around with dim and lit settings but can't seem to get it to work properly. Same thing goes with the hotswitch button on the H9. Is there a way to lock it so it stays lit correctly?

I'm wondering if someone can help me. I'm trying to set up the helix to bypass and activate the H9. It works. Problem is when I switch patches the light is always reversed to how I want it. Bypass is not lit and bypass is lit. I've tried messing around with dim and lit settings but can't seem to get it to work properly. Same thing goes with the hotswitch button on the H9. Is there a way to lock it so it stays lit correctly?

Can you clarify if you are using the Helix to send a bypass/activate/toggle MIDI message to the H9, or are you bypassing/activating an FX loop on the Helix?

If you are sending MIDI bypass/activate to the H9 - would seem that you are sending the toggle MIDI message, rather than an explicit activate or bypass. By default, PC124 is toggle, PC125 is bypass and PC126 is activate. The H9 has the ability to change the function for any PC message, though, so you might want to check to see how your pedal is setup (H9 Control App -> Pedal -> MIDI Settings -> Program Change receive map). And, to further complicate things, you can configure the H9 to perform those actions using CC commands...

If you are just bypassing the FX loop on the Helix - not sure what is going on. If you save the preset with the loop bypassed or enabled, it should recall the preset with the FX loop at that status.

As for the Hotknob button - there isn't a MIDI message to activate it. But I'm not sure why you want to. If you are looking to control parameters on the fly, an expression pedal would be a better option. And you don't want to add an expression pedal to your setup, you can configure the Helix to have its pedal send the appropriate MIDI messages to act as the H9's expression pedal.

• 10 months later...

Please tell me how. I have been struggling to get this working for days and everyone says it's easy.