Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firmware 2.12

bsd512

Update went smooth for me.

Note this looks like a firmware-only change - bug fixes.  No change in Editor version.

Bug Fixes
- In rare cases, engaging one particular footswitch on one particular factory preset could result in full scale noise - FIXED
- In rare cases within certain presets, when Variax parameters are set per preset, the Variax Volume parameter could be inadvertently recalled at 0.0 - FIXED
- General stability improvements
- Other minor bug fixes and optimizations

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there. I have one "stupid" beginner question. If I receive my new Helix, with the firmware version 1.05.6 for instance, do I have to do ALL the firmware updates until 2.12? Or do I do directly version 2.12.

I received my Helix floor unit in January, started doing the updates following the instructions given on the site, and it got "bricked" - didn't respond to anything (I tried all the buton/restart combinations. Even in Manual Update Mode it didn't reacted).

I sent it back to the store in Germany (The guys from Thomann are very nice and responsive), for service or replacement. They are sending me another one, or the first one fixed (don't know yet), but now I'm really freaked out - what the hack do I do with the updates?

You don't need to install all the updates, just the latest one.

That is not my experience. When I got my unit not so long ago, it was on a very old firmware, 1.04 or something like that, and it wouldn't proceed with the update, always ran into an error. I first tried applying the 2.10 (the most recent at the time) and that wouldn't install, and then 2.0 but that hasn't worked either, and I kept on going and ended up having to install the version just one more release more recent than my unit originally had - that finally installed without problems. After that I tried to install 2.0 again, but that failed again and I could only install the next update in line... So I ended up installing every single one after that and finally I could install the 2.1 as well...

That is not my experience. When I got my unit not so long ago, it was on a very old firmware, 1.04 or something like that, and it wouldn't proceed with the update, always ran into an error. I first tried applying the 2.10 (the most recent at the time) and that wouldn't install, and then 2.0 but that hasn't worked either, and I kept on going and ended up having to install the version just one more release more recent than my unit originally had - that finally installed without problems. After that I tried to install 2.0 again, but that failed again and I could only install the next update in line... So I ended up installing every single one after that and finally I could install the 2.1 as well...

I had this experience with ONE of the updates iirc... I think maybe it might have been a beta build though.

Well, that's not the expected behavior... I've actually skipped version quite a few times because I've had a beta release candidate installed, skipped the actual release, and then done the next update. I've not had any issues.

Maybe it's a bug in the latest updater, I don't know... the main point is, my helix was not bricked in the process, and I could install the most recent fw eventually, so, first you should try to update to the latest and if it fails, you can always try to apply the update which is next in line and try the most recent after that. Took a while though, and was frustrating to find out why the update fails (sorry, but I can't remember the error message, it was a generic error message though hinting me to just try again - so I did, more times than I'm comfortable with admitting :D). 

• 1 month later...

Okay so I just got my unit back in February and I just updated the 2.12 firmware on my helix but I do not have the editor and you're saying that I can do a separate download on the editor itself I would like to use the customtone downloads with the editor so that's all you have to do is find a separate editor 2.11 version?

Okay so I just got my unit back in February and I just updated the 2.12 firmware on my helix but I do not have the editor and you're saying that I can do a separate download on the editor itself I would like to use the customtone downloads with the editor so that's all you have to do is find a separate editor 2.11 version?

You will find the v2.11 editor in the Downloads section of this website. Select 'Helix' in the Software (nor Products) field and download the installer file, then execute it and follow the installation instructions carefully.

The fact that you have already update the firmware to v2.12, apparently without the v2.11 editor package, suggests that your firmware installation might cause problems. As the installation instructions indicate you should begin with the v2.11 editor package, which includes the latest version of the Line 6 Updater program. Without the latest editor package you likely installed the firmware using an outdated version of the Updater program - and therein lie the potential issues.

But at this point you might as well just install the editor by itself and if you don't have any immediate issues you can just wait for the v2.2 editor/driver/Updater/firmware that will be released very soon.

Ok, I downloaded 2.11 and the files came up with the editor. Now should I run it again with the 2.12 updater or 2.11 updater to download the latest version again. I really don't to mess with it, but what should I do, I did notice a glitch with some of the amp models not showing up in white and it scrolled last them, but I turned the helix off and back on and now the amp models are in white and I did notice new amp models also. I did notice a delay in scrolling down to a amp model and took a split second longer to show up in white

If you want to be sure about the installation I would reinstall firmware v2.12 using the Updater program that was installed with the v2.11 editor package.

P.S. Don't forget to follow the pre and post-installation instructions re: backing up setlists and Global Reset.

Yeah I think my first mistake was I Google how to do it and I updated the driver and the updater separate. then I hit the updater and then I hit that helix 2.12 but now my question is should I get rid of the updater that download the first time and the driver too? Maybe I should leave it alone? And do what you suggest. Is it really message to back up factory presents?

Yeah I think my first mistake was I Google how to do it and I updated the driver and the updater separate. then I hit the updater and then I hit that helix 2.12 but now my question is should I get rid of the updater that download the first time and the driver too? Maybe I should leave it alone? And do what you suggest. Is it really message to back up factory presents?

If it's working OK for you right now I would leave it alone until the pending v2.2 release. When you install that according to the instructions it will overwrite everything that is now installed.

Backing up the Factory presets is optional. However, the v2.2 installation will overwrite all existing presets. So if you have custom presets that you will want to use again after the installation you will need to back them up first.

Man that did the trick should I downloaded the 2.11 did everything then I did the 2.12 and did everything again and it solves everything I can't believe I forgot to do that and I went around I shouldn't have I even went and downloaded the whole user set for customtones and trying them out and so far everything is great okay some presets are okay but I mean as far as a sound there's no glitches nothing so thank you for your help I appreciate it just makes me feel good that I can I have a piece of equipment I can update now with no worries.

Sorry for the typos, using voice command. Now if I can find a faster way to download to customtones to desktop and drag it to the editor or what's up and doing some of the files you can't and you have to import them and in a couple of them were compatible for some reason but all in all I'm so far so good

I had a issue today with loading up some patches I purchased on a new unit bought from Sweetwater. The firmware Sweetwater installed was 2.12. What was really confusing and could be easily solved is if you folks would simply give the firmware and the editor different classifications. If not you should really have updated the editor to 2.12. It was confusing to have 2.12 firmware and 2.11 editor software.

I understand that 2.11 came out in December and then you released 2.12 in January. Still, creating unity and simplifying the process as explained below would be useful to your customers.

I realized after cautiously downloading 2.11 that I simply unchecked drivers so that it didn't mess with my firmware. With all your technology and ability one would expect a more streamlined process for your customers.

I totally agree!!! Customers spend $1,500 on an item and one little mishap on the software could mess up the whole thing. Yeah that was a little confusing and why couldn't they just added another editor with 2.12. I had to go through the setup twice. Uugghh!

I understand that 2.11 came out in December and then you released 2.12 in January. Still, creating unity and simplifying the process as explained below would be useful to your customers.

I realized after cautiously downloading 2.11 that I simply unchecked drivers so that it didn't mess with my firmware. With all your technology and ability one would expect a more streamlined process for your customers.

I agree with your point that the versions being out of sync is confusing. L6 is working on a more smooth-lined firmware process so it should make more sense in the future. Regarding "unchecking" the drivers - You do want the latest driver, Editor, and Updater files from the 2.11 Helix app to run with the 2.12 firmware. These files will not interfere with the 2.12 firmware so you should go ahead and install them. Only running the Updater will change the firmware and if you are already on the 2.12 version you don't need to run the Updater. 

I agree with your point that the versions being out of sync is confusing. L6 is working on a more smooth-lined firmware process so it should make more sense in the future. Regarding "unchecking" the drivers - You do want the latest driver, Editor, and Updater files from the 2.11 Helix app to run with the 2.12 firmware. These files will not interfere with the 2.12 firmware so you should go ahead and install them. Only running the Updater will change the firmware and if you are already on the 2.12 version you don't need to run the Updater. 

Thank you Honest for the reply. I am not sure why I thought the drivers were tied to the Firmware now that I think about. I know the Firmware comes specifically from the Updater. Again, I think all the confusion is the similarity between the two patch definitions. I will install those drivers now then. Thanks again for the solid information much appreciated.

In this day and age there is no excuse nor justifiable reason for Line 6 (an established leading technology vendor), to allow their flagship product: Helix, to be subject to the confusion from a version numbering disparity between the product's Firmware and Editor Software. Countless User posts reflect this.

Compounding the scenario is that a successful Firmware Update procedure requires far too much user comprehension, attention and intervention. The process is not fully software supervised nor automated, and involves User intervention at critical steps during the upgrade process. For Users with pre-existing Presets, more user intervention is required to perform additional essential steps to properly backup, convert and reinstall a user's now converted pre-existing presets.

This entire process creates several opportunities where missed or mistaken steps, have caused a variety of problems, significant to those whom have encountered them -- as reflected in far too many User posts all over the Internet.

With the imminent release of Firmware 2.20 (expected by month's end), and the subsequent release of Helix Native later this Spring, Line 6 needs to deliver on their overhauled Helix Editor application that intelligently and comprehensively manages the entire firmware and Preset update process.

Once Line 6 handles this properly, this significant Helix complaint area will be gone, thus freeing Line 6 to continue optimizing Helix's sound and performance.

All in all for a product approaching it's 2nd anniversary, Helix is outstanding!

• Upvote 1