Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 500/Battery/pedalboard

MelvinDale

I purchased a 300 (500?)  when they first came out used it at home.

Been mothballed essentially for years, but the reason I didn't use it much was the battery pack with the 6AA never seemed to work.

The floor unit was bulky and never fit well on a pedalboard, and the power block was clumsy with a lot of unneeded cordage - plus the XLR out quit working.

Long story longer - I've started gigging the 300, but still have issues with the A/B power floor unit.

Will the newer battery pack work with an older Variax?

I don't mind spending money to fix this and no, I really don't want a newer Variax, I have enough guitars (just ask my wife).

Are there any solutions, or am I doomed.

I play through an M9 as well and so have the power A/B Box as well as the two blocks from the two units and all the cording tucked underneath.

Why oh Why hasn't Line 6 come up with their own proprietary pedalboard?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

MelvinDale

Well ... no the battery from the Variax Standard will not work in the 500.  Have you tried running it on 9volt?  I have always powered my 500 via the Vetta II VDI so I never used the A/B switch except to test it when I first bought the guitar.

Ben 

Thanks for the response Ben . . .

No I've always tried the battery pack with the 6AA's - according to what I have read it lasts longer - need it to last all night - don't want to be switching out batteries all night.

I do enough of that with my In-Ears.

Guess I could give it shot, but don't need it to go south in the middle of song. If I lose my ears I can still find a note - but I'm not sure I can sing a chord.

What are you plugging into with the Vetta II VDI Ben?

Hi ... when you use the VDI the Vetta II will power the Variax so no need for the battery at all.  Plus the Variax model is switched via the Vetta when you change patches in the Vetta.  It works quite well.  This also works on the new Standard .... :D

Ben 

Definitely re-assess the battery pack - maybe there's corrosion somewhere if it doesn't pass the current anymore? I've tried powering with a 9v, and unless it's an expensive Alkaline, they just don't have the oomph. Even Alkalines fade pretty quick, as would a rechargable 9v. I recently bought a second hand 300 transplant and the guy said the battery pack doesn't power it up anymore. I anticipated some problem on the PCB, or a connection problem, but I tried with my battery pack from the 600 I have, and voila!

You can buy the original Line 6 one for good bucks online at Fullcompass, or you can get generic ones from Fleabay at a fraction of the price.

Definitely re-assess the battery pack -

You can buy the original Line 6 one for good bucks online at Fullcompass, or you can get generic ones from Fleabay at a fraction of the price.

I've got 2 Line 6 battery packs already in hopes that it would solve the issue . . . - I'll try again, but anticipate similar results.

Thanks all for your responses . . . I will try both my battery packs as well as a 9V just to see if I have any luck, but since I'm gigging Saturday and Thursday next - I will have to live with what I have and work toward a solution in a week or so.

Again my sincerest thanks - but I truly do wish that Line 6 had a proprietary board with power to eliminate this and powering my M9 as well.

Issue resolved a bit of futzing and I was able to get the battery pack(s) to work.

The one issue I have left is a hum with the power pack using an XLR - exactly what you wouldn't expect, but since I'm no longer using it - moot point.