Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Early Iommi Tone

bentvicar

Hi, I am trying to get a tone close the basic tone on the first five Black Sabbath albums. During this period Tony Iommi was using a Laney Supergroup head boosted with a Dallas Arbiter Treble Booster. The closest thing to the Laney on the HD 500 is probably the Plexi, any ideas which of the pedals would give a boost similar to the treble booster? or has anyone achieved a good Sabbath tone in some other way? There is very little in Custom Tone, and to my ears they don't come close to the Iommi tone.

A combination of the Colordrive and the Q Filter with the Plexi gave me a decent Black Sabbath (the song) sound once. If you want to use external effects, there's also the VST "Rangebastard" that clones a Rangemaster. I've tried it with mixed results, probably because of wrong settings in the DAW. Let me know if you have more luck with it :)

Thanks for the reply, I will give the Coulordrive and Q filter a try, what were you amp and effects settings? I have been getting fair results with the Overdrive pedal which is supposed to be a DOD 250 Sim, fair results, but it lacks edge. I am new to the HD500x so I am still finding my way around, I will have a look for the rangebastard.

Honestly what I use to get an early sabbath sound is the Engl F-ball, I lower the gain way down, raise the master volume a bit. Then I throw the blue comp+treble and adjust to taste. It makes a very good sabbath sound. I use it for everything from Black Sabbath to Mob Rules

• 1 month later...