Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What amp are you digging on lately?

willjrock

I dont ever remember the Orange sounding this good. Maybe its just the combination amp/cab, maybe its my brain, maybe its been improved in an update, but at one point i was thinking how the Mandarin 80 was useless and would probably never be touched, and now im having so much fun with it.   What gives?  ...and oh yeah, what are you having the most fun with lately?   Im still on 2.11 BTW

• Upvote 1

I've only had my helix 2 weeks but somehow I got as far as Matchless DC30 Channel 2 and haven't actually gone onto any of the others at all.

With a gain control reducing the original signal level + KWB and Clon and my JTV 69 I have a huge range of sound that just feels "alive".

I can go from Jazz Box warm and clean to spiky Tele rhythm, a glassy Strat sound and a really smooth Les Paul lead that sustains forever.

I haven't even added any effects!

• Upvote 1

The 59 Brit Plexi Brt and Jump is one of my favorite amp models in the Helix! But I also like the JCM 800 / 2204 and the 65 Brit JTM 45...

Alot of amps are sounding great in the Helix lately Soldano, Matchles Dr Z Litigator PRS,,,Fenders :)  

• Upvote 1

Angl Meteor w/OwnHammer Orange 2x12 cab (V30 speaker + OH1 mic mix)

Brit 2204 w/OwnHammer Marshall 4x12 cab (H75+M75 speakers + OH1 mic mix)

And Archetype Clean

... are generally my favorites.  I could fall deeply in love with a bunch of them though, but there are only so many hours in the day. :)

I can't wait for my variax to get here and try out some acoustic stuff.  I assume no amp model needed for the variax acoustic simulation.

Really diggin' that Litigator! It's so flexible and can be bluesy or raunchy. Love it! I need to experiment some more with the Archetype as I've not spent enough time on it. Sadly, my Helix is pretty much my gigging rig only. My studio is "mixer-less" and requires that I turn every damned thing on even if just want to sit down and just play or practice. Good thing I got that Yamaha amp as I get very similar response out of it as I do with the Helix. Maybe not as flexible but it's equally satisfying to play.

One strange thing, every time I experiment with the Helix, I usually come up with something really cool and fun but 99% of the time, I don't really have any use for it at my gigs. Kinda depressing at times.

love the Archon but created a new patch today with Archon Lead and Slo100 Lead OD in paralell paths that merge and send to 2A for another split for wet/dry to the PA.  The Slo really complements the darker Archon so well...

I"m also liking the Divided Duo ( Divided By 13 JRT 9/15 )  here "s a link on youtube  https://goo.gl/1pmM4x

Just wondering if the Divided Dou in the Helix was modeled after the one in this video? There"s a switchable EL 84 and 6V6 mode.

Yes thats the one. 

But its unknown whether  it models the EL84 mode or 6V6 mode.  I'm going to ask on the FB forum.

Well it does have delay, modulation w/ chorus, flanger, phaser and tremolo, gain and boost, with a noise gate & reverb. And comes with redbox cab emulation. I don't know that Id call that limited. And with its switchable FX Loop and Helix, it could be heaven!

Per patch Passive 3-band EQ, Global Resonance & Presence controls but I dunno if its before and or after yet zooey...

Edited: Found this. Looks like the passive EQ is pre, and the Presence & Resonance is the Pwr Amp EQ. So pre and post.

Oh and that's off an iPad app list so you can edit and save.

Using Helix for the wah, compression and etc as needed. That would be a sweet setup!

I've been digging the Archtype Lead a lot too; the only high gain model that sounds great for lead (to me) without a distortion/overdrive block in front. That said, I have the Minotaur lying in waiting for when I want notes to sustain indefinitely (and I only needed a minimal amount of drive from it).

The Litigator is very nice for old school crunch and it really sounds great with the Minotaur (my favorite distortion block) in front.

I was using the Mesa Mark IV for cleans, but recently switched back to the Vox AC-30; so pristine and chimey!

Only problem is I can't just keep tweaking; it's not doing my (long time tinnitus inflicted) ears any favors. At a certain point, I had to step away from my Vetta and say, "it's good enough; done!" I may be reaching that point with Helix.