Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hello everyone

CraigGT

Greeting everyone,

Craig here, a new Pod HD500X owner from the UK.

I've had an AX2 combo for many years but decided it was time for something new so splashed out on the Pod and I am seriously considering adding a DT25 to that.

I had a nightmare day with it yesterday after it demanded a firmware update which didn't seem to complete and then loads of USB timeout errors when using the editor. That seems to be all sorted now so time to find some great tones.

Speaking of tones, where can I find some good solid ones? I've downloaded some from the custom tones site but there seems to be an lot of tones that are like "these pedals don't cost anything so I'm going to put them all in"

I just want some solid amp tones with a bit of reverb for starters.

See you around

Craig

Hey Craig and welcome to the board.

CustomTone is hit or miss for tones but look for some that are rated pretty high - you will need to use HD Edit to see what is in there and turn off the FX and see what the amp setups are. Each user's rig is different and it will throw off what the patch will sound like. I could have a real nice tone which would sound like bullocks on yours and vise versa.

EQs are pretty important too - don't worry about it when just getting your feet wet but keep it in mind as terms like Fizz, woof etc come up. :)

BTW for firmware DL the flashfile to your PC then use Monkey to Flash From File. Easier and more reliable IMO.

-B 

Speaking of tones, where can I find some good solid ones? I've downloaded some from the custom tones site but there seems to be an lot of tones that are like "these pedals don't cost anything so I'm going to put them all in"

Not from Customtone...you'll have better luck consulting a Ouija board or magic 8-ball. You'll waste weeks sifting through patch after patch that Phil from Oxnard swears will sound "just like Metallica"...but they won't. Too many variables to expect anything that even vaguely resembles continuity from player to player. Spend your time experimenting with the various amp/cab/mic models, and figuring out what works for you...you'll end up where you want to be a whole lot faster.

First thing you need to do is to make sure Input 1 is set to guitar and Input 2 is set to Variax.  Also start with the output set at Studio/Direct.  Now start twerking...  ur, I mean tweaking tones.

The problem with downloading tones is they will most likely have a different guitar/pickup and different amp/cab than you.  This has a large influence on the tone. 

As everyone has suggested - you are best off just diving straight in and creating your own patches.  If you just want a good amp tone with some reverb, then just try setting up a patch with an amp and a reverb model (plate or spring or whatever you prefer).  Audition each of the amps and settle on one that is in the ball park and then tweak it to your taste.  The default setting for most amps are very usable and if you change the cab/mic settings you can get a variety of sounds to suit your personal taste and get closer to the sound you want.

Check out the ADVANCED USER GUIDE for all the technical info you need to understand how the HD500X works - http://line6.com/support/manuals/podhd500x

if you want a more in depth look at the Pod search for MEAMBOBBO HD500 on the internet and read his exhaustive tech guide - http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/

And of course come back here and ask questions as you need help and guidance.

Good luck!    :)

Thanks for the welcomes and tips guys,

I did indeed bite the bullet and order a DT-25 which should arrive tomorrow so then I'll get stuck into creating some tones.

I think the most important thing that I learned yesterday was the need to hold < and power up after a firmware upgrade.

When I read that one of the symptoms of not doing this was sluggish USB performance everything became clear, It might help if Monkey told you to do that though.

I've got an acoustic gig tomorrow night and I'm concentrating on that so it looks like Sunday will be my chance to play around.

Cheers

Craig

What everyone else said, plus one simple thing: the amp models work just like real amps. So treat them like a real amp!

Start simple. Keep it simple.

There is *so much* you can do that the first mistake many people make is to go mad and pile in every this and that.

Don't do it.

Amp. Maybe a gain boost in front. Reverb behind.

Work up slowly.

It took me a year - with some help here and plenty of reference to MeAmBobbo's invaluable guide - but I have a clean tone, a crunch tone, an overdrive tone and another overdrive tone that I'm happy with (but everything's a work in progress, of course). And I've only scratched the surface with this thing. It is truly an Aladdin's Cave of tone.

You'll have a blast.