Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Transferring patches between Helix and Helix Rack

buckytom

I'm thinking about getting a Helix Rack for my live rig, and keeping my Helix at home for practice/rehearsals.  Since it's WAY easier for me to create patches at home (rather than on-stage at like a sound check), I was wondering if there is an easy way to transfer the patches I make on my Helix to the Rack version without plugging the Rack version into a computer?

My rig is pretty big/heavy, and a Helix Rack probably won't make sense for me if I need to unscrew the whole thing and take it home every time I want to upload new patches.  I'm assuming there's an easy way for me to transfer things to the Rack (hopefully with just like a USB? Fingers crossed), but I can't seem to find any information on the subject.

Thanks, guys!

Not sure how a USB stick would connect to Helix. The Helix USB connector is the 'wrong' end. Technically I think the terminology is host/client, and both Helix and a USB stick are clients. Helix would need a hardware upgrade - not going to happen. Maybe in the next gen device.

Hmmm, that's too bad. Although the actual communication is bidirectional, you're right it would need a physical adaptor. Is there such a thing?

Maybe we will see a Type C USB connector on the next Helix version. I believe this would allow it to act as either a host or a client using the same connector. The only problem is most older and even many newer computers don't have this connector yet. Users might have less compatibility issues with older computers if they included both a Type A and Type B connector. Most manufacturers will not include both types due to added expense but I think primarily because the chances of someone connecting the wrong device and blowing a circuit board go way up when both connector types are provided.

There is a USB coupler Type B male to Type A female that could be used to connect a flash drive directly to the Helix. I am not sure how or if the flash drive could be powered though. There is also a USB coupler Type A female to female which could be used with a USB cable and flash drive or I guess theoretically to connect two Helices to each other. Note: I am strongly recommending that no one should try this. If it is even doable on the current hardware you would need a firmware update to enable this to work for transferring presets and again the potential for someone to plug in the wrong type of device and burn something is absolutely there once you start using these.

http://www.staples.com/Monoprice-USB-20-A-Female-to-B-Male-Adapter/product_1255249?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:1255249&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=1255249&KPID=1255249&cvosrc=PLA.google-SALES.Computer%20Accessories%20%26%20Peripherals&cvo_crid=39357180702&cvo_campaign=71700000015225244&gclid=CMvgr6HqwtECFcWFswodKEcF-g

http://www.miniinthebox.com/usb-3-0-type-a-female-to-female-adapter-coupler-changer-connector_p3273844.html?currency=USD&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&adword_mt=&adword_ct=153426320819&adword_kw=&adword_pos=1o2&adword_pl=&adword_net=g&adword_tar=&adw_src_id=9772115911_686959326_35189017357_pla-276956234565&gclid=CPOyhN_nwtECFVBMDQodPq4Ofw

Excellent Idea!!!!!

With that simple adapter (HonestO posted) and a firmware change to make it all work, we would now have what Kemper has, a bonafide USB slot/port for swapping data with thumb drives !

That would involve a lot more software added, as you would need Helix to see a thumb drive added, and the either read it or format it, be able to see and select files from it using the front panel controls (or an editor) etc etc. So a lot of work is involved, but still a great idea!

Maybe we will see a Type C USB connector on the next Helix version. I believe this would allow it to act as either a host or a client using the same connector. The only problem is most older and even many newer computers don't have this connector yet. Users might have less compatibility issues with older computers if they included both a Type A and Type B connector. Most manufacturers will not include both types due to added expense but I think primarily because the chances of someone correcting the wrong device and blowing a circuit board go way up when both connector types are provided.

There is a USB coupler Type B male to Type A female that could be used to connect a flash drive directly to the Helix. I am not sure how or if the flash drive could be powered though. There is also a USB coupler Type A female to female which could be used with a USB cable and flash drive or I guess theoretically to connect two Helices to each other. Note: I am strongly recommending that no one should try this. If it is even doable on the current hardware you would need a firmware update to enable this to work for transferring presets and again the potential for someone to plug in the wrong type of device and burn something is absolutely there once you start using these.

http://www.staples.com/Monoprice-USB-20-A-Female-to-B-Male-Adapter/product_1255249?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:1255249&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=1255249&KPID=1255249&cvosrc=PLA.google-SALES.Computer%20Accessories%20%26%20Peripherals&cvo_crid=39357180702&cvo_campaign=71700000015225244&gclid=CMvgr6HqwtECFcWFswodKEcF-g

http://www.miniinthebox.com/usb-3-0-type-a-female-to-female-adapter-coupler-changer-connector_p3273844.html?currency=USD&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&adword_mt=&adword_ct=153426320819&adword_kw=&adword_pos=1o2&adword_pl=&adword_net=g&adword_tar=&adw_src_id=9772115911_686959326_35189017357_pla-276956234565&gclid=CPOyhN_nwtECFVBMDQodPq4Ofw

Yeah, I think the problem is the Helix is essentially a passive USB device, in that as example... it doesn't know if it's hooked up to the computer, the computer knows if the Helix is hooked up to it.  I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to have an Android App that just accesses the patches and IR file loader sections...  That would be pretty convenient.   Basically an editor that just loads and save patches and IR's that one could have on their smartphone or tablet.  

Speaking of Tablets...the right cable from a Windows tablet might be a good solution, and you could actually have the whole editor on it.   Or even a small netbook would work.   It doesn't take much.

I must say...  after using the Helix for over a year... it does seem odd they didn't think about file management much.  One would think they almost would have, and maybe did, just for testing purposes and R&D purposes.  

I know they designed the Helix as a stand-along unit, with a great UI so you could edit without an editor.... ok...   but then to not provide a way to back it up, or even do updates without a computer, just seems odd.  Like maybe they have a solution and it's just not been released yet.

We take for granted that "everyone" owns a computer.... but still...  I might think differently if you could walk into any tech store and say "update this for me" but that's not the case either... and with the Helix, not only do you need a computer, but you need to be pretty proficient with one, especially to do updates.  

Just seems like such an odd oversight, that there must actually be a plan, and it's not an oversight at all.