Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Helix--Won't connect now, and editor?

rlhjr34

My apologies if this is asked all the time. I tried to resolve this by reading through the threads. I can't really make heads or tails as to which update is current, and what steps need to be followed to get this working correctly. I appear to have the latest firmware for the Helix installed according to the boot up screen and what I could sift through on here. 

Yesterday I unboxed my Helix rack and have a MacBook Pro (latest model) that I connected it to via USB -- to USB/USBC dongle--Macbook Pro USBC port. Worked ok, and recognized the MacBook Pro just fine. Today it isn't recognized at all. I checked my System Preferences and it does not show up in the sound options either. My Audio connection for the Helix is to a pair of monitors via XLR connections to each. So my setup isn't too complex and should be pretty straight forward? 

The other issue is I downloaded the editor (I think?) and got a column only? It shows the preset names, and says Export and Import Impulses and that is about all it does. I had seen other youtube videos where it shows the preset information in addition and you can make adjustments inside the preset,  it basically mirrors the screen on the rack. Is there a different editor I should be using? A firmware update I need? 

You need to update the firmware and the editor package.

Go to the Downloads page (under the Support tab above). Select Helix in the middle (software) field - not the left (products) field. You will see a page of detailed installation instructions with a Get Download button at the bottom of the frame. Download the installer file and run it to install the editor, driver, and the Line 6 Updater program. Follow the instructions carefully from there.

• 4 months later...

Hi folks.

I've just bought a Helix Floor with firmware 2.11.0. I've tried to download the appropriate software (Windows 7) etc and cannot for the life of me get the editor to run... Also, and excuse me if it sounds silly but, do I have to install each subsequent update or can I jump straight to latest one? I've seen people posting about their units freezing and I'm a tad wary of running any updates as yet. Sadly, I can't sample the new amps, cabs & effects that 2.2 has to offer until this is done.

Perhaps this helps:

http://line6.com/support/topic/21914-problem-installing-helix-editor-201/

I don't know if your situation is exactly the same as is in this topic, but at a glance it looks very similar to me.

Thanks but I've tried everything I know to get this to work but I keep getting the error message which I've attached below...

I've un-installed everything

Run a registry cleaner

Re-booted

"Run as Administrator"

Spun round on one leg howling like a wolf during installation...

Nothing will get this bloody thing to run

So I can't back up any presets, but worse still, can't start experimenting with IRs.

I only bought the Helix yesterday and already this has put a dampener on the situation!

post-1669579-0-95040400-1496488902_thumb.png

If I were you I'd call Line 6 Customer Tech Support and give them the information Windows gave you.  Particularly on the module that failed and the exception code.  They may be able to enlighten you on what's happening.  They really are very good and there's no charge for their tech support.

Thanks but I've tried everything I know to get this to work but I keep getting the error message which I've attached below...

I've un-installed everything

Run a registry cleaner

Re-booted

"Run as Administrator"

Spun round on one leg howling like a wolf during installation...

Nothing will get this bloody thing to run

So I can't back up any presets, but worse still, can't start experimenting with IRs.

I only bought the Helix yesterday and already this has put a dampener on the situation!

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Did you: go offline with you PC, de-activate all your Antivirus/firewall etc. etc software? In the link I posted his Panda Antivirus was blocking things without notifications.

Also: have you updated the unit itself to version 2.20 ? or 2.21 ? if it is 2.21 then the editor might not work cause that is 2.20 (i see in your picture). As I understand it the firmware version of the unit and the version of the editor have to be the same.

Just so you know, I did some research and the module noted as failing in your message (ig4icd32.dll) relates to the OpenGL driver for Intel chips.  It's often corrupted when two or more progams want to use different versions of that DLL.  Tech support should be able to figure out the best way to fix it.

I've not updated to 2.21 yet as I wanted to back up some of the patches I've made before I do but alas, it is still failing. I've tried everything I know to resolve this but nothing works. I've tried installing off-line, disabled anti-virus etc to no avail. Frankly, this is starting to lollipop me off! time to open a support ticket methinks... Thanks for all you suggestions folks :-)

I've not updated to 2.21 yet as I wanted to back up some of the patches I've made before I do but alas, it is still failing. I've tried everything I know to resolve this but nothing works. I've tried installing off-line, disabled anti-virus etc to no avail. Frankly, this is starting to lollipop me off! time to open a support ticket methinks... Thanks for all you suggestions folks :-)

Starting a support ticket is the best thing you can do now in my opinion. It would certainly annoy me a lot if I had this problem. I am also a new user and I had no problem on my Windows 10 laptop. You had the same question in your original post as I had: (something like:) can we jump to 2.21 immediately or do we have to update first to 2.20 and then to 2.21 ? I did the last thing, like you, to be on the safe side. Not great/stupid that this isn't clear in the instructions.

What also isn't in the instructions correctly is: you have to reset the unit (that is in the instructions) BUT it doesn't say WHEN you have to reset, is it AFTER updating or BEFORE updating. Irritates me. I did both, to be on the safe side.

Sincerely hope your issue gets resolved, high probability that it will.

What also isn't in the instructions correctly is: you have to reset the unit (that is in the instructions) BUT it doesn't say WHEN you have to reset, is it AFTER updating or BEFORE updating. ..

I too sympathize with chitlun and think that a support ticket is the best thing at this point.

However it seems to me that the instructions are quite clear that the reset is to be done after updating the firmware. Here's the update instructions for steps 5&6 (firmware update) and 7 (reset). Given that these steps are to be performed in order I'm not sure where your confusion is.

5. Using the latest Line 6 Updater (1.11), update Helix/Helix Rack to the newest firmware (2.21). At the end of the update process, Helix/Helix Rack will reboot automatically and begin rebuilding presets. Wait for this process to complete.

6. If you’re using Helix Control with Helix Rack, connect and power on Helix Control. The inspector will ask if you want to update its firmware. Press Knob 6 (OK). Wait for the update to finish.

YOU MUST RESET GLOBALS AND RESTORE PRESETS, OTHERWISE HELIX 2.21 WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY. DO IT. DO IT NOW:

7. To reset globals and restore presets, turn off Helix/Helix Rack.

(... etc. ...)

Having said that, the current update process is cumbersome and error-prone. Line 6 is aware of this and is working on a new and improved update process that should be ready at some point in the not too distant future (later this year iirc).

For me it is not 'given' that these 'steps' (as you call them) must be performed in this order. I have read these instructions, and it is unclear to me, at least leave room for doubt, wether you have to do it before or after updating. I read everything before I take action, and when I read "do it, do it now" I have the impuls to do it now (which is before updating). For me it would be much better to write something like: After updating you must reset,etc,etc.

I read these 'steps' as points of attention, and not as 'steps'.

Of course one has to restore after backing up, i am not a fool. It just wasn't clear to me....etc, etc as I have explained already. I don't want to prove that I am right, it just wasn't completely clear to me, and I think that my doubts are not stupid.

EDIT: perhaps my comment (which you replied to) was a bit provocative, sorry for that, but I don't know how to write this any other way and still be clear about it. I haven't mentioned the using of the colour red, it draws ones attention, and when reading it one might think: jee, I have to do that now or else I am risking something. Using the colour red feels like it is very important, and something special, and because these words in themselves aren't clear about exactly when to perform it, I thought: be safe, do it now.

Usually when you have a number list of items in a procedure, it is understood that you go from step 1 to step X in sequence. You are correct though, it is not explicitly written to follow the steps in order. 

Of course one has to restore after backing up, i am not a fool. It just wasn't clear to me....etc, etc as I have explained already. I don't want to prove that I am right, it just wasn't completely clear to me, and I think that my doubts are not stupid.

EDIT: perhaps my comment (which you replied to) was a bit provocative, sorry for that, but I don't know how to write this any other way and still be clear about it. I haven't mentioned the using of the colour red, it draws ones attention, and when reading it one might think: jee, I have to do that now or else I am risking something. Using the colour red feels like it is very important, and something special, and because these words in themselves aren't clear about exactly when to perform it, I thought: be safe, do it now.

No worries. In re-reading my post I can see that it could be seen as provocative, too. Unintended but he black and white of simple text is easily misinterpreted. Sorry about that.

As for the issue at hand, it is important that you do the reset after the firmware update. The problem with doing it before you begin the numbered sequence of steps is that you will overwrite all existing presets. That means the backup procedures that begin the process are too late - the presets you want to back up are already gone.

Hi folks. I appear to have solved the problem, in that I deleted the pesky ig4icd32.dll which was the cause. I expect it will reappear when I reboot but I can live with removing it each time...

Thanks again for all your input

Peace :)

Thanks for your reply Silverhead. Happy that the air is cleared now (about the unintentional possible provocative aspect from both of us). Good to know we both don't have negative intentions. :)

Now about the losing of presets: it wasn't an issue for me, I just had bought the LT, didn't had any preset, and just wanted to update to the latest firmware. But you are right about the importance of the order of the backing up/reset/restore actions when one doesn't want to lose presets.

But this is not what the discussion is or should be about, at least for me it isn't. You brought up the backing up procedure as evidence that the instructions were written as steps to perfom in that order. Better evidence would be that on top there would be a line like : Perform the following steps in this order, but there isn't such a line.

My main point is that the red written instruction isn't written well, and by the manner it is presented it places itself out of the context. The use of capital red without a number before it and without specifically stating as to when the 'now' is, irritated me, cause it left me with doubts.

Had they done this:

7. After updating you must reset globals and restore presets......(in red is fine now), it would be so much clearer for me. Call it illogical, but I am a user, and it happened with me, perhaps its cultural (i am Dutch), perhaps it is because I am perhaps not the avarage user. For me my approach is super logical :)

Not that it is something terrible :). I only had a moment of irritation and resetted the unit too much.

Hi folks. I appear to have solved the problem, in that I deleted the pesky ig4icd32.dll which was the cause. I expect it will reappear when I reboot but I can live with removing it each time...

Thanks again for all your input

Peace :)

Great man! :) Now you can fully enjoy everything about the unit. The editor really is a fine piece of software!

• 5 years later...

this is like 5 years ago and still have problems with this crap, you pay all this money for a unit and have a Frickin headache trying to get the editor to work, I even tried on another PC. I guess I have to search that DLL file ( ig4icd32.dll ) and see if it works. this is highly aggrivating, I've tried everything as well too it seems, like Dirty Harry says... "in all this excitement you are wondering how many shots I fired... was it 5 or 6 ?"  and thats how it is you cant fricking recall the orders of installations you tried, NOW mind you while I sit here and think... Installed the Updater 3.15, then had to install the driver to make the updater work before it would do that... NOW trouble with the Editor... oh yeah... those damn checkboxes when running the installer for the editor ask if you want to also include the Updater and the driver... and if you didnt uncheck them you have to reinstall the updater and driver again.. oh so now what.. uninstall the HX Edit and reinstall and see if unchecking those will make it work, but wait was the unit USB cable plugged in ? or maybe it is because it was Unplugged... Who the hell is on first base ?