Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 300 And Hd 500 .. How Well Do They Work?

I'm sure they could of made it able to change tunings on the fly, but they probably wanted to limit it to about the same features the x3L gave to the Gen1 Variaxes to influence people to update to JTV if they want those features.

Personally I would love if I could change the tunings instantly with the Variax tuner on the 500, but I understand they have a product they're trying to sell you.

You should be able to change tunings on the fly if you save the tunings to the custom positoins.  You can change the Variax model selections with the X3L.  You just can't have alternate tunings and 12 String at the same time with anything but the JTV Variax.  That's because the JTV has enough processor power to do alternate tunings and 12 string at the same time and the earlier versions do not.

You should be able to change tunings on the fly if you save the tunings to the custom positoins.  You can change the Variax model selections with the X3L.  You just can't have alternate tunings and 12 String at the same time with anything but the JTV Variax.  That's because the JTV has enough processor power to do alternate tunings and 12 string at the same time and the earlier versions do not.

Yeah, but I mean the Variax tuning thing on the JTV where you can tune the strings on the fly on a non-preset basis.

the beauty of the original variaxes.... if you use them with a pod... (for sure xt/x3, haven't tried HD's) is that you can overwrite 100% of the guitars withe custom anything... tunings etc...

and STILL access all the original unmodified models....

you'll see 2 sets of models in gearbox... the "u" models (user, the ones you access from the dial) and the "f" models (factory) you can only select these by forcing it within the preset on the pod.

anyway probably old news... but i always loved that feature... and it was always this obscure little detail that was never documented anywhere.

• 9 months later...

Charlie_Watt is correct. Variax 300 alternate tunings are not available using only the HD500. The alternate tuning must be created using Workbench and stored as part of the model definition on the Variax. The HD500 can then select the stored model, which includes the stored alternate tuning.

• 1 year later...

@ TheRealZap.. I know it's an old post but I just read it. I still use the old XT Live and a 300 or 600. Can you elaborate (some detail) about the 'U" and "f" settings? You said, "you'll see 2 sets of models in gearbox...".
Do you mean using the Gearbox software, do you mean looking at the display on the XT Live or what did you mean exactly?
I'd love to use this.
Since I bought a used 600 with many changes to the original factory model settings I am not using the XT Live's Variax presets because they no longer call up the correct models. If you say I can override this I'd like to know the exact procedure if you don't mind.

@ TheRealZap.. I know it's an old post but I just read it. I still use the old XT Live and a 300 or 600. Can you elaborate (some detail) about the 'U" and "f" settings? You said, "you'll see 2 sets of models in gearbox...".

Do you mean using the Gearbox software, do you mean looking at the display on the XT Live or what did you mean exactly?

I'd love to use this.

Since I bought a used 600 with many changes to the original factory model settings I am not using the XT Live's Variax presets because they no longer call up the correct models. If you say I can override this I'd like to know the exact procedure if you don't mind.

I don't know if the XT shows what the HD does, but when I am selecting a variax patch that I want to be saved within an HD500 patch, it gives me the option of selecting from the variax presets as either U (user defined) or F (factory preset) - e.g. F Spank pos 3 is standard middle pickup which is still available via the Pod patch setup process, even though the model may be over-written by you as a user defined (maybe open G or the like) patch on the variax itself.

Sorry, I've never used Gearbox, but I assume it should work similarly - if Gearbox is the computer based editing softwear for the XT, then it should give you that option when scrolling through the variax models.

the beauty of the original variaxes.... if you use them with a pod... (for sure xt/x3, haven't tried HD's) is that you can overwrite 100% of the guitars withe custom anything... tunings etc...

and STILL access all the original unmodified models....

you'll see 2 sets of models in gearbox... the "u" models (user, the ones you access from the dial) and the "f" models (factory) you can only select these by forcing it within the preset on the pod.

anyway probably old news... but i always loved that feature... and it was always this obscure little detail that was never documented anywhere.

By this comment, do I assume the JTVs (and Standard), that the factory patches are no longer available to you within the HD500, once they're overwritten with a user defined patch?

I don't know if the XT shows what the HD does, but when I am selecting a variax patch that I want to be saved within an HD500 patch, it gives me the option of selecting from the variax presets as either U (user defined) or F (factory preset) - e.g. F Spank pos 3 is standard middle pickup which is still available via the Pod patch setup process, even though the model may be over-written by you as a user defined (maybe open G or the like) patch on the variax itself.

Sorry, I've never used Gearbox, but I assume it should work similarly - if Gearbox is the computer based editing softwear for the XT, then it should give you that option when scrolling through the variax models.

Thanks for the response.. we're getting closer to an answer to my Q..  

To be clear I'm not using Gearbox software either, I only mentioned it because you used that word and I was trying to figure out what you meant by that word. 

So let me get this straight... I'm now assuming what you're saying is that you're editing a Variax Patch directly on your HD500 unit!  

When you're ready to save it into the HD500 you are given the option of saving the Variax "U" or "F".

Then when you select that Variax patch on the HD500 with your Variax guitar plugged into the VDI socket of your HD500, even though that selected model has been altered on the guitar, the sound will come out as the original factory patch sound... if you've saved that patch using the "F" setting.

I was just confused about the exact way you were editing the patch on the HD500, whether you were editing the HD500 unit directly or using a software editor on the computer with the USB connected.

I only have the XT Live floor unit. I use the Workbench software v1.72 to alter and edit the Variax guitar via USB connection.

If I've gotten the gist of what you've said right, then I will edit the patch directly on my XT Live unit and see if the "U" and "F" options are available. 

As I've said the Variax 600 I got on ebay has many models altered by the previous owner. I like the mods and would like to keep them. If this feature works on my guitar and XT floor pod I can have my cake and eat it too.

the factory patches for the variax were removed as of version 1.8x to accommodate the new HD accoustics.

for the most part they were not needed as much with the JTV's since you don't have to build a custom model to do an alternate tuning.

(the patches were always on the variax and not the pod, just required VDI and pod to access... FYI/for clarity)

and correct... 

By this comment, do I assume the JTVs (and Standard), that the factory patches are no longer available to you within the HD500, once they're overwritten with a user defined patch?

Thanks for the response.. we're getting closer to an answer to my Q..  

To be clear I'm not using Gearbox software either, I only mentioned it because you used that word and I was trying to figure out what you meant by that word. 

So let me get this straight... I'm now assuming what you're saying is that you're editing a Variax Patch directly on your HD500 unit!  

When you're ready to save it into the HD500 you are given the option of saving the Variax "U" or "F".

Then when you select that Variax patch on the HD500 with your Variax guitar plugged into the VDI socket of your HD500, even though that selected model has been altered on the guitar, the sound will come out as the original factory patch sound... if you've saved that patch using the "F" setting.

I was just confused about the exact way you were editing the patch on the HD500, whether you were editing the HD500 unit directly or using a software editor on the computer with the USB connected.

I only have the XT Live floor unit. I use the Workbench software v1.72 to alter and edit the Variax guitar via USB connection.

If I've gotten the gist of what you've said right, then I will edit the patch directly on my XT Live unit and see if the "U" and "F" options are available. 

As I've said the Variax 600 I got on ebay has many models altered by the previous owner. I like the mods and would like to keep them. If this feature works on my guitar and XT floor pod I can have my cake and eat it too.

1/ The user defined variax patch must be created within Workbench, and saved to the variax. On the original vax this is the only way to create an alternate tuning, or mod a vax patch in any other way. You need to connect to the computer via the XT/HD.

2/ Within the XT/HD edit computer software, as you are setting up your amp/fx patch, you can select which vax patch you want to save within that patch - there you will see the choice of (U) or (F) options. I rarely edit my HD500 directly on the unit itself, and I don't know if you can select variax patches that way.

Hope this clarifies for you - I figure the process would be pretty much the same whether using XT or HD.

the factory patches for the variax were removed as of version 1.8x to accommodate the new HD accoustics.

for the most part they were not needed as much with the JTV's since you don't have to build a custom model to do an alternate tuning.

(the patches were always on the variax and not the pod, just required VDI and pod to access... FYI/for clarity)

and correct... 

thanks for clarifying that for me - as I use them that way (vax patches saved within HD patches), I guess I won't be getting rid of my old work-horses just yet...

After reading about all the problems with the newer JTVXXX guitars I am very glad I bought a perfect condition Variax 500 that has absolutely no warble chirp or any other noises. I dont change tunings but I do use it with an HD500. They work very well together.One of the best features is being able to use the Variax with the VDI cable and also have another guitar plugged in at the same time for switching.

• Upvote 1

1/ The user defined variax patch must be created within Workbench, and saved to the variax. On the original vax this is the only way to create an alternate tuning, or mod a vax patch in any other way. You need to connect to the computer via the XT/HD.

2/ Within the XT/HD edit computer software, as you are setting up your amp/fx patch, you can select which vax patch you want to save within that patch - there you will see the choice of (U) or (F) options. I rarely edit my HD500 directly on the unit itself, and I don't know if you can select variax patches that way.

Hope this clarifies for you - I figure the process would be pretty much the same whether using XT or HD.

Okay...I almost get you.... I have to ask a very exact question and then I will hopefully get from you the answer I seek>>>

Which software are you using to edit the HD500?By that I mean the "computer software" you refer to above in the 2/ point you were making! I know about and use the Workbench software to edit my Variax guitar. Are you also using Workbench for the HD500 and if so what version? If not Workbench then which software is it? Again you refer to this software above in your 2/ point as "edit computer software".

Thanks... 

Okay...I almost get you.... I have to ask a very exact question and then I will hopefully get from you the answer I seek>>>

Which software are you using to edit the HD500?By that I mean the "computer software" you refer to above in the 2/ point you were making! I know about and use the Workbench software to edit my Variax guitar. Are you also using Workbench for the HD500 and if so what version? If not Workbench then which software is it? Again you refer to this software above in your 2/ point as "edit computer software".

Thanks... 

Firstly download Line 6 Monkey. Go to the software download page and find the appropriate download for your gear.

http://line6.com/software/

Once you have installed Line 6 Monkey, plug in your XT via USB, and Monkey will recognise it and take you through the process of downloading and installing all drivers and software you need for creating and changing, and saving presets on the XT. For the HD series it's called HD Edit. I never used earlier models of Pods, so I don't know much about the related software, but I'm guessing it's pretty much the same processes involved.

You are already familiar with Workbench by the look of it, so using Line 6 Edit is the other half of the process of saving whichever variax patches you want within the XT patches - whether (F) or (U).

Firstly download Line 6 Monkey. Go to the software download page and find the appropriate download for your gear.

http://line6.com/software/

Once you have installed Line 6 Monkey, plug in your XT via USB, and Monkey will recognise it and take you through the process of downloading and installing all drivers and software you need for creating and changing, and saving presets on the XT. For the HD series it's called HD Edit. I never used earlier models of Pods, so I don't know much about the related software, but I'm guessing it's pretty much the same processes involved.

You are already familiar with Workbench by the look of it, so using Line 6 Edit is the other half of the process of saving whichever variax patches you want within the XT patches - whether (F) or (U).

Line 6 Edit! Thank you, yes!

I will try to see if it is available for this older equipment I use. (Line 6 XT Live and Variax 300 and 600 guitars)

• 2 weeks later...

@TheRealZap - Great to find this old thread, as I have a quite specific question along these lines.

I've acquired a Variax 700 Acoustic and I'm now looking to acquire a POD floor unit so that I can use it to change alternate tunings on the fly via Midi Program Change (messages coming from a sequencer).  

On the XTL, will I still have access to the U and F options on a per-patch basis and have the associated tunings applied to the guitar?  Is this dependent on the firmware version?

Just trying to figure out if the XTL/X3L will do the job or if I need the HD500(x).  thanks!