Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G10/XLR to Amp

fwphillips

I would like to run my G10 to two amps using both outputs, but can't seem to get it to work. I have an unbalanced XLR to 1/4" TS cable, but all I get when I plug it in is a load hum. This happens in both amps. What am I missing here? Do I have the right cable? Or is it a bad (new) cable?

Thanks!

It should work just fine.

My first thoughts are you may a Ground Loop and/or a bad XLR 1/4" TS cable.

Have you ruled out a Ground Loop between the amps? Connect both your amps (and G10 Receiver unless you're using a USB Battery pack) to the same power strip. If still no good, try another XLR adapter cable.

Are you getting any hum when you use the 1/4" out from the G10 receiver base with one amp at a time?

Are you getting the hum when you use only the XLR out > 1/4 TS cable with one amp at a time?

After posting the above, I confirmed that there is no noise whatsoever, when my G10 is connected to both of my Fender Mustang Amps -- at the same time -- regardless, if plugged in the front end (Instrument In), the FX Return, or one each way. 

The cables I use are the 5 foot and 10 foot versions of this Hosa PXF-110 XLR3F to 1/4 inch TS Unbalanced Interconnect Cablehttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068NYN

Thanks for the response! For the record, I did have all the devices, amps and G10, in the same power strip. Also, one amp is tube, a Blues Jr, and the other a Line 6 Amplifi. Same result on both. Because of this I had assumed it was a wrong or bad cable. The cable you listed is the cable I have in the 10 foot length. Looks like the cable is a dud. Time to try another cable. Thanks again...

As you're encountering the same problem with each amp when audio connected separately, that would tend to eliminate any internal gound issue in either amp. The odds of each amp being miswired would be very unlikely.

If a new a cable does not resolve the problem, focus would shift to a faulty G10 Receiver base. In that case, Open a Support Ticket with Line 6 to have them replace the unit under warranty.

Post back your findings once you have a new cable, and about how the situation evolves....

You can take the XLR out into the XLR in on Helix, or into a direct box. I just use the 1/4" out into Helix. If I want to split off to multiple downstream components then you have to AB or Y it. 

I don't think they intended for both outputs to be used simultaneously, but someone could have used it if it did. I won't. 

If you use the G10's XLR Out to the XLR Mic Input of the Helix or an XLR Input on a Console or Mixer, you MUST must be certain that any Phantom Power is OFF for that Strip or Channel Input!!

The Line 6 G10 FAQ states that both of the G10's outputs (1/4" and XLR) may be used simultaneously.

If you are encountering any noise or hum while using the G10's XLR something with the devices or cabling is faulty! As mentioned above, confirm that there is no Phantom Power feeding back into the XLR jack.

The Line 6 G10 FAQ states that both of the G10's outputs (1/4" and XLR) may be used simultaneously.

Oh yeah, that. They did design it to do that. I think I even quoted that once in a different thread. 

Too much going on this week. I need a break...

As requested, here's the update...

I just opened a new cable from Amazon, the Hosa PF-110 linked by MusicLaw which is the same as I already had from SweetWater, and the problem continues. Both my Amplifi and Fender Blues Jr hum like mad if fed from the XLR port on the G10. Both work as expect if using a normal 1/4" guitar cable. Same power strip, no CFL bulbs,  etc. Looks like I'll be moving this to Line 6 support. Thanks to all for making sure I wasn't missing the obvious. I'll post back when I have some resolution.

The response from Line 6 support... They say this isn't supported.

"The XLR output on the G10 is meant to send a Line level signal to a PA system or Interface. Its not meant for a guitar amp's input jack. If you want to connect to a guitar amp, you'll need to use just the 1/4 output on the G10. If you need to use two amps, it would benefit you most to use a ABY switcher."

So, am I correct that some have this working? I know I've seen it done on YouTube. To be fair, their response is what the G10 manual says. Sadly...

• 5 months later...

if anyone is interested, I found the solution to the noise

You need an XLR cable that connects pin 1 (screen) to the physical shield on the XLR body.

I wire up my own leads, and found the same noise, with the XLR output from the G10.

Tried a few permutations, then hit upon soldering pin 1 on the XLR to the body tab.

voila, no noise

The response from Line 6 support... They say this isn't supported.

"The XLR output on the G10 is meant to send a Line level signal to a PA system or Interface. Its not meant for a guitar amp's input jack. If you want to connect to a guitar amp, you'll need to use just the 1/4 output on the G10. If you need to use two amps, it would benefit you most to use a ABY switcher."

So, am I correct that some have this working? I know I've seen it done on YouTube. To be fair, their response is what the G10 manual says. Sadly...

That's interesting...I use an XLR to the Input on my Fishman Loudbox amp and it works fine. I will change to a 1/4' cable if they think it will cause issues.

That's interesting...I use an XLR to the Input on my Fishman Loudbox amp and it works fine. I will change to a 1/4' cable if they think it will cause issues.

I don't think it will cause you issues. XLR is most likely line level, and the 1/4" instrument level. If it is working for you, I would just leave it. 

• 1 month later...

I don't think it will cause you issues. XLR is most likely line level, and the 1/4" instrument level. If it is working for you, I would just leave it.

Just out of curiosity, did you find a tonal difference, the XLR out put should not have the cable compensation applied.

Just out of curiosity, did you find a tonal difference, the XLR out put should not have the cable compensation applied.

I never tried them side by side to compare. I imagine the XLR may only be slightly "brighter".