Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Basic DT25 Pod HD500x question.

CraigGT

Hi,

I'm new to the DT25 Pod setup so am I right in thinking that if I use the Line 6 link then all the amp modelling is done in the pod which then switches the DT25 output stage to a suitable topology?

and if that is the case does that mean I can take full advantage of the additional amp model packs?

Thanks

Craig 

Yes the POD basically takes over the preAmp side and handles sending the commands for the topology etc... In the software you can actually set the topology etc.... that it sends. It defaults to the correct one for the amp model out of the box already though.  This is also why the POD has the "Pre" versions. They take out the power amp modelling so it works with the DT they way it is designed, although some have reported likeing the full modelling with the DT instead of using the "Pre" ones. All up to you, try each and see what you think works best for you.

So the amp itself models pre and power amps in addition to the variable topologies?

The amp has that ability if you want.  I can go in via MIDI using a free program, called DT Edit, and select all of the options below.  This is great for standalone use.

screen2.1.jpg

Ok I have had a dabble with that so are we saying that the Blackface Double Norm in the editor/amp is different to the one in the HD500x?

But as I understand it, the amp only has two channels and you can't save more settings and recall them with Midi Patch change messages?

I'm just trying to get my head around what's doing what before I delve right in there.

Craig

Have you taken a look at the Line 6 DT Series MIDI Implementation Guide?  You can call up all kinds of stuff in these amps via MIDI (30 amps, 17 cabs, the 4 topologies, the EQ settings, Class, 8 mics, channel A or B, 12 different reverbs and more).  That's all DT Edit is doing is sending MIDI commands.

If your using a POD HD500(x) you don't need to mess with MIDI. The capability to set class/topology etc... are all in the POD over the L6 Link. If you go Helix you will need to use MIDI. 

The POD has amps models listed as "Pre" and ones without. The "Pre" is modelling the PreAmp , cab and mic without the power amp. The normal models cover the Pre-Amp, Power Amp, Cab and Mic. Since the DT is providing the power amp section using the "Pre" models in the POD provides you with something that should match what the DT does but with a lot more modelled amp sections. However; some people perfer using the "Normal" models over the DT as well, so let try both and let your ears be the judge on which works better for you.

I also believe that if you change any settings for a particular amp with MIDI (i.e., DT Edit), it will save the settings in the amp (even if you turn it off).  If you load your favorite amp and settings into the A/B channels, the next time you turn on the DT, it will come up with the last settings set via MIDI.