Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why cant i get a single even slightly average clean tone out of my HD500x?

Olliclark_4

I literally cannot get a single good clean tone. Even the ones of customtone sound like absolute lollipop. And when its slightly average its still insanely quiet so i have to do something to make it louder but then it becomes distorted. Any help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz-grkFv8Ac. This tone at 0:30 is what im looking for.

maybe your output switch is not set to line level, or you are trying to drive speakers that expect line level from the XLR outs. The XLR outs are fixed at MIC level. Great tones in that box, but if your output is not setup right anything can sound like garbage. Soldano Clean probably my favorite clean model in the bunch. Perhaps if you gave a little bit more about how you have things hooked up and listening, we could help. How do headphones sounds?

I literally cannot get a single good clean tone. Even the ones of customtone sound like absolute lollipop. And when its slightly average its still insanely quiet so i have to do something to make it louder but then it becomes distorted. Any help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz-grkFv8Ac. This tone at 0:30 is what im looking for.

Please describe your equipment, both input (guitar) and output (amp, speakers, headphones, ...). Also describe the input and output settings on your HD500x preset(s).

Can't stress enough about giving details about your equipment and setup.  We have no clue what you have which can be ANYTHING from headphones, computer speakers, guitar amp, FRFR system, PA system and that's just the output side.  Remember we're blind to what you have.

If we were all to judge this unit by what's available on Customtone, there wouldn't be enough landfills to house all the discarded PODs...so step one: stop downloading patches. It's an exercise in futility.

Now that said...I find both the Hiway and the blackface models give really nice clean tones, especially with single coil pickups. And if you're having issues with the volume of your clean tones relative to dirty ones, it's critical that when leveling the volume between your patches, you need to set your cleans as loud as possible without clipping FIRST. Then adjust the volume of the dirty patches relative to this clean baseline level. Because distorted tones with always be perceived as louder, if you try and do it the other way, you will run out of headroom on the cleans every time, and they'll never keep up. This is true of any modeler or pre-amp/multi-fx unit.

What pickups in both positions and which position is your chosen clean setup using.

Hot pickups do not make a particularly pleasing clean tone.

Underwound and single coils make stellar clean tones.

If using actives, you will have to edit the gain structure to match.

Also, you need to realize that downloading from Custom Tone doesn't mean download and play.  It can happen, but that's the exception.  99% of the time, it's a starting point and you have to edit to taste.

I would highly recommend not using an amp model for clean tones. I have not found any that don't overly color the sound. The Acoustic amp is a good second choice, but generally I found that using no amp model is best if you want it clean.

Many people like to diss Customtone, but I'd argue that if Customtone didn't exist, that many people would not buy this product in the first place. I find that many patches on Customtone are good starting points. You may find one that is close, or combine pieces of more than one. But to say that there is nothing worthwhile there is an overstatement imo.

• Upvote 1

Please describe your equipment, both input (guitar) and output (amp, speakers, headphones, ...). Also describe the input and output settings on your HD500x preset(s).

Can't stress enough about giving details about your equipment and setup.  We have no clue what you have which can be ANYTHING from headphones, computer speakers, guitar amp, FRFR system, PA system and that's just the output side.  Remember we're blind to what you have.

What pickups in both positions and which position is your chosen clean setup using.

Hot pickups do not make a particularly pleasing clean tone.

Underwound and single coils make stellar clean tones.

If using actives, you will have to edit the gain structure to match.

Also, you need to realize that downloading from Custom Tone doesn't mean download and play.  It can happen, but that's the exception.  99% of the time, it's a starting point and you have to edit to taste.

You guys are right sorry should have done that in the first place.

Setup: ibanez 7 string with emg 707's set to the bridge pickup but sometimes on the neck setting. Plugged into the hd500x which is then plugged into the front of my peavey VIP-2 combo which unfortunately doesn't have an input setup for effects, just the instrument in.

active pickups w/ 7 string....lots of level with that one likely...Make sure the input pad switch is engaged.

running a modeler into a modeler....Well that's going to be a bit of a challenge. If you really want to hear the POD, you are going to have to figure out how to get the VIP as transparent as possible. It might be that the VIP has a bypass mode where the input can be passed to the power amp without the VIP modeling....The old Line 6 Spider 2, 3, 4 amps had that, but it required powering up the amp holding down the tap button and if the amp ever cycled power the modeler would come back on...not so practical.

If you want pure POD, you have to get the modeling bypassed in your amp, or at least get something really clean and flat to start with...Otherwise, you really are not going to know what you are hearing...definitely need instrument level to hit the input...I would start with Studio Direct Mode and set the CAB to NONE on the amps I try to use as since you are using a guitar amp, you might not need a CAB...You could try the COMBO or STACK modes that load the live cabs and see if they matchup better...They are a little lighter on attenuation than the FULL cabs when in Studio Mode...Best of luck...Sorry I am not more familiar with your amp,

My experience with the 707's is that they're insanely hot.

Stay on the neck pickup only, stay completely away from that bridge pickup.

Back off of any gain in any amp model to zero, turn up your channel volume as needed, and if you need some more, then bring in the gain a tad.

Be sparse with any eq as that affects gain structure as well. Start with them at about 3 or less, bring up the highs before the lows, mids to taste.

Those pickups are going to be very difficult to get any decent clean out of.  I had a hard time with my old ones in a JC120, which can clean just about anything up.

If you can, consider swapping those out for the soapbar version of the 57/66 combo, and you'll have far better chance of success, and just an overall higher fidelity of tone.

I use EMG's, and have no problem getting good cleans out of my 89/SA combo.

If you are going into the front of a Vypyr, then you are using the amp modeling on the Vypyr as well as the POD.  That could be causing problems, since you now have the Vypyr's gain to deal with as well.

If I'm not mistaken, the Vypyr VIP has an aux input, for playing mp3's and stuff, right?  If so, try plugging the POD into that and using only the main volume on the Vypyr.