Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

NAMM 2017 Helix surprises?

Bangha

Although I'm halfway across the planet from NAMM, the gearhead in me always gets excited for the new releases and content coming out of there. Is there a chance Line 6 drops any Helix-related life changing surprises at NAMM? Here's to hoping!

You know, as another person on the wrong side of the pond, I'm feeling mixed emotions about all that.  I'm finding an almost bottomless pit here already.  Every time I leave the thing "as is" for a bit, I discover more stuff when I dive in again.  I'm not arguing against new stuff - I'm extremely happy with the Litigator, so that was a relatively new addition that has made me very happy - what next?

On the other hand, I'm not wanting everything to change too much too quickly or I might start playing Helix rather than guitar and get lost down that rabbit hole that I suspect some of the people here are.

It's cool to explore tone - but that used to be a new amp once every few years and a pedal or 2 every year................now that could well become so much so fast that no one can really keep up and still make making music their first love.

I'm swimming right on top of this wave right now - but nervous if the surf gets any bigger I'm going to start drowning!!

Just a personal view.

There won't be new Helix FW available for download at NAMM. Doesn't mean we won't have Helix-related news, however.

Yes! That's more than good enough for me. Thanks D.I. ! While I fully appreciate the fear of getting drowned in new additions to the Helix, for me , it is a wonderful playground where there more toys to play with, the better. Mind you I spend 80% of my time playing/recording a new album, the other 20% I goof around, often times leading to inspiration for new music or new parts for songs I'm already recording. Bring on the news!

The three most interesting words!

Look further, and he says no firmware available for download at NAMM. Since when has a firmware ever been available for download at a specific physical location, other than the Line 6 servers? I think DI is screwing with us. (Obviously, he's referring to the time of NAMM, right DI?).

Look further, and he says no firmware available for download at NAMM. Since when has a firmware ever been available for download at a specific physical location, other than the Line 6 servers? I think DI is screwing with us. (Obviously, he's referring to the time of NAMM, right DI?).

Nah... DI's not that pedantic.

Anyway, just one more day!

Nah... DI's not that pedantic.

Anyway, just one more day!

Whatever it is they are coming up with, and whenever, I look forward to it. Line 6 has raised expectations for themselves throughout the life of Helix so far, so I kind of expect something more than a straightforward implementation of the suggestions and ideas from their users. I've noticed a tendency in the Helix team to put an artistic and elegant spin on whatever it is they do, in a way that makes you wonder why someone didn't think of it before.

• Upvote 2

Is it the Revstar Variax?

Please tell me it's the Revstar Variax

That would be wonderful, except for the fact that I bought my first JTV a few months ago and I'd boil in frustration because the Revstar is gorgeous. Imagine Variax 2 Ultra HD with brand spanking new bagpipe, unicorn whinny and kazoo models!

I just downloaded the NAMM app and checked Line6's schedule for NAMM. Apart from the artist appearances, there were three recurring sessions from Line 6:

- "Spider V - New Product Launch: Discover the new offerings in the Spider V family."
- "Helix - Guiar Processor: Latest updates and new product launch."
- "Variax Launch w/ Stevic MacKay: Discover Stevic Mackay's new signature Variax guitar release."

All of these excite me.

May have found that new variax

The thing that sold me on my JTV89 in the first place was seeing Stevic and the 12 Foot Ninja boys playing live. The tone palette they had without changing guitars was outstanding.

I'm hoping this means we'll have a beautiful new toy that's even more suited to that style of music :D

May have found that new variax

http://guitarsformusicians.com/shuriken-guitars-boutique-guitars-with-variax-technology/

http://ultimateguitars.net/?p=428

http://line6.com/support/topic/11587-yamaha-variax-left-handed/

Looks like Line 6 and Shuriken Guitars may have been collaborating for a while.  Check out the Variax tech on this Shuriken guitar from a year ago.

https://www.facebook.com/shurikenguitars

11001547_916128191751862_791839234823985

It seems like there's a very cool thing heading our way. Maybe the news got out beforehand, but I'm really looking forward to the next update. I'm sure it'll take Helix to the next level!

Just waiting for Line 6 to say it officially :)

What are you unofficially referring to markman?

As this doesn't appear to have crossed forums yet I should point out that there has been a small leak - and DI appears to have acknowledged it.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/helix-full-on-competitor-to-kemper-axe-fx-or-no.1632348/page-6#post-23378788

So today on "Lunch with Dan", Dan dropped the bomb that he's been working on impulse responses recently for the Helix.

There will be preview package for this stuff at NAMM.

If you're on this thread...You probably know who Dan Boul is... Or at least what a "65Amps" product is. Dude knows tone(s).

Helix is going be improving a bit SOON.

Thanks you guys. Not only is this exciting and great news, it might save me some cash in purchasing any new IR's while seeing where things go. Those new Celestions sounded tempting. Just a few hours to go before we find out the whole truth I guess!

Thanks you guys. Not only is this exciting and great news, it might save me some cash in purchasing any new IR's while seeing where things go. Those new Celestions sounded tempting. Just a few hours to go before we find out the whole truth I guess!

While I'm sure the other offerings from different companies are worth it, I've been waiting to see what Line 6 would do with the cab modeling in Helix. I've pretty much only used the stock cabs except a couple of free IRs, but I'm interested to see how the new ones will be implemented:)