Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

NAMM 2017 Helix surprises?

Bangha

Haha. Doubt that Helix will be available as a plugin, but certainly cool stuff heading our way ;)

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us." – Western Union internal memo, 1876

:)

• Upvote 2

Holy crap! I didn't see that one coming! Did they mention an estimate release date or suggested price?

The ability to automate Helix sound so exciting yet somehow makes my floor unit feel less special. Stream of consciousness here but I find it all bittersweet lol. So hard to please!

Yep... $399 on its own, $99 for Helix owners.

That's a real solid, considerate move from Line6. I worry about how much I'd end up using my pedalboard if I buy it though? Yes I still have some stomps I love mostly SlideRig Compact Deluxe, Cornish P2 fuzz, King of Tone and EHX SuperPulsar, but the reamplifying capabilities speed up my workflow exponentially with a Helx plugin AND automated Helix is the stuff dreams dream of!

I've never felt this torn over a software release, lol. I'll probably be losing sleep tonight pondering the possibilities.

I'm curious though, any of you guys who use Helix mostly for recording, will you be thinking of selling your unit and picking up the Native version?

That's a real solid, considerate move from Line6. I worry about how much I'd end up using my pedalboard if I buy it though? Yes I still have some stomps I love mostly SlideRig Compact Deluxe, Cornish P2 fuzz, King of Tone and EHX SuperPulsar, but the reamplifying capabilities speed up my workflow exponentially with a Helx plugin AND automated Helix is the stuff dreams dream of!

I've never felt this torn over a software release, lol. I'll probably be losing sleep tonight pondering the possibilities.

I'm curious though, any of you guys who use Helix mostly for recording, will you be thinking of selling your unit and picking up the Native version?

Nope. I love the unit for it's connectivity, ZERO latency monitoring (out of the box) and all the foot switches which i use when practising.

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us." – Western Union internal memo, 1876

:)

:D

I'm apparently a sceptic. Really surprised. I'm mostly a home player these days, but I can't let go of Helix floor.

There's a difference between the amount of cabs & effects the Helix Native page mentions... "30+ speaker cabinets and a wide range of 100+ effects pedals." and on the Helix detail page... 30 Cabs / 95 Effects.  So either the detail page hasn't been updated or there may be more cabs and FX pedals coming for the Helix...?

There's a difference between the amount of cabs & effects the Helix Native page mentions... "30+ speaker cabinets and a wide range of 100+ effects pedals." and on the Helix detail page... 30 Cabs / 95 Effects.  So either the detail page hasn't been updated or there may be more cabs and FX pedals coming for the Helix...?

The just announced, pending, Helix fw2.2 adds some cabs and FX. These are included in Helix Native.

Yep... $399 on its own, $99 for Helix owners.

FANTASTIC!

At first I thought wow I won't have as much use for my Helix Rack, as I do not tour.

Then I got to thinking of the possibilities.

AS it is with the hardware alone, I can ReAmp 2 guitars (1Left, 1 Right) with medium signal chains, and half the processing power for each chain.

With the Hardware and the plugin, I can route the left guitar to the hardware, using all of its processing power with all of its signal chains. Send the right guitar to the plugin, and use all of its signal chains. Simultaneously!!!

I can automate much easier, more efficient, and with less errors (pops and crackles) with the VST.  I can do this with the hardware, but I need to chop my takes that I ReAmp up  so they are shorter, and often have to try a few times to get it without any audio artifacts (pops and crackle).  This should pose no issue with the VST end of things. So for heavy automation I will use the plugin. But for straight tone recording of a single guitar or something like that... I will use the Helix rack, as it will free up the cpu power I can spread to other plugins. 

The hardware will always be my wet monitor, and dry recording device. the Hardware Helix will always be lower latency than the Helix Native.  Also this allows me even more so to use my 11R as a back up and still get the great Helix tones if something were to happen to my Helix unit and I needed to have it sent in.  

Transferring presets back and forth will be great.

Here is another "not often talked about aspect." We like the presets that some good guitarists around here dial in. But what about experienced producers? Now that Helix Native is a reality, the number of producers making guitar presets on the Helix platform will drastically improved.  You will see a lot more presets with the guitar tone in the context of full mixes!

$399 would be robbery for the established Helix user base. $99 for Helix users is a great deal though. I for one will be picking it up shortly after its release, unless its like in the next couple weeks, lol I would like the opportunity to be able to spend the $99 and not even worry bout it. Still reeling from the holidays lol.

For $99 this is a great expansion of the Helix platform for studio users. None of the competition really offers this!

Helix Native will ship after 2.20 firmware, which means it'll start with more models than we have now. We won't update the Helix page until the 2.20 firmware is actually released.

• Upvote 1

Damn, now I'm confused! My IMac 5k has 32 gigabytes of RAM installed. Does this mean I can create a behemoth rig on the computer that's more than Helix can handle in hardware form. There must be a maximum limitation. & does it have built in tuner for "spikey" (mine is a software Peterson in the iPad and iPhone). $99 - bring it on.

Damn, now I'm confused! My IMac 5k has 32 gigabytes of RAM installed. Does this mean I can create a behemoth rig on the computer that's more than Helix can handle in hardware form. There must be a maximum limitation. & does it have built in tuner for "spikey" (mine is a software Peterson in the iPad and iPhone). $99 - bring it on.

I bet they limited the plugin to exactly what Helix can do in terms of DSP, otherwise you wouldn't be able to swap presets between the Helix Native and Helix.. But could you have more than one instance of the plugin?

could you have more than one instance of the plugin?

Why wouldn't you? That's the thing with plugins, you can load as many instances as your computer will allow.

Limiting it to just one instance would be absurd. I've never seen that, but I guess it can be done, though.

I bet they limited the plugin to exactly what Helix can do in terms of DSP, otherwise you wouldn't be able to swap presets between the Helix Native and Helix.. But could you have more than one instance of the plugin?

Like any other plug-in, you can have as many instances as your host computer will allow.

Well, the Helix Plugin is quite a surprise, w/rt "available for download", out of context - isn't it?  ;-)

Well, it's out of the Helix box now!

Re: available for download - quote from Digloo,

Helix FW 2.20 Preview (The "Get Low" Update)

AVAILABLE IN FEBRUARY—DON'T GO LOOKING FOR IT!