Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need that Twang!

dannepop

Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction to this Ventures sound with Helix:

I can´t get that bite twang sound out of Helix when making a clean sound. Some amps need

a bit of drive to get any sound out at all! My best guess was the 'US deluxe norm amp', but

I get a kind of distorsion out of it when I hit the string hard.

What I´m after is this strata string twang sound!

Help!

Danne/

I'm hearing quite a bit of overdrive on the guitar tones in that clip. Definitely not clean. They also sound like they are running really loud and compressing as the whole amp saturates.

Try a Fender Deluxe Reverb running hot with a high volume level.

Good stuff! My thoughts go to the Twin Reverb, probably the "VIB" channel, probably set fairly hot. With some of the cleaner amps (the Twin and the Gibson EH-185 in particular come to mind) I've found that it can be hard to get the tone I want and still have sufficient output. I've had good results using a gain block or compressor after the amp to bring it back up where it needs to be. Or, if you have your amp on path 1 and your cab(s)/IR(s) on path 2, you can use the path 1 output block to boost it back up. When you find the tone recipe that does it for you, do share!

Those look like Dual Showman amps, not something small like a Deluxe, so maybe try the Twin or the Bassman, maybe the Silvertone. (That's without actually trying to get that sound out of any of those models, just theoretically.)

And I agree, clean that's not. Trebly, yes. Not a strat either, those are all Mosrite guitars, hot pickups, and did I mention trebly?

Fun stuff. I had that Ventures Live in Japan album back in the day, didn't know there was video. Check the bass playing in the solos too.

There are no mics on those amps so the mics that captured that video must have been some distance away - and it sounds like it. That should be taken into consideration as you create the preset.

C'mon now, everyone knows they ran direct 8)

Wow. No mics in the drums either. Why are we killing ourselves with all these channels and effects! Let's put one stereo condenser or ribbon mic in the middle of the stage and be done with it!

I noticed that too. Watch the very end of the video, the drummer hits the snare at the very end and we don't hear it, maybe cause the mix is turned down after the song and the audience's applause is turned up..or its pre recorded. If it's pre recorded, those pantomime drum solos are spot-the fuck-on!

And if we want to add more tin foil to our hat party we can argue that maybe there are mic'd amps offstage somewhere..(and a mic'd drumset with ....ah nvm...)

I noticed that too. Watch the very end of the video, the drummer hits the snare at the very end and we don't hear it, maybe cause the mix is turned down after the song and the audience's applause is turned up..or its pre recorded. If it's pre recorded, those pantomime drum solos are spot-the fuck-on!

And if we want to add more tin foil to our hat party we can argue that maybe there are mic'd amps offstage somewhere..(and a mic'd drumset with ....ah nvm...)

😂😂

C'mon now, everyone knows they ran direct 8)

It was alien technology and we are not worthy!  :lol:

Actually he did have sound on the last 2 drum hits, but they were delayed (at least on my end). Now the rest of the song was not delayed that much so....,  I'm thinking that it was pre-recorded and pick synced as well.

Actually he did have sound on the last 2 drum hits, but they were delayed (at least on my end). Now the rest of the song was not delayed that much so...., I'm thinking that it was pre-recorded and pick synced as well.

Don't forget to take into account how often YouTube vids get unsynchronized.

I know that these days it's pretty common place to lip/play sync to tracks at concerts and it was the same back during the era of variety shows on TV. But I don't remember concerts being lip/play synced during that era.

If it was play synced... how did the drummer know when to start???

Furthermore, with IEMs, play syncing is relatively easy these days but I'm not exactly sure how they managed it back in the day. They barely had stage monitors back then.

Not sure what you guys are on about with whether the audio in that vid is from that actual video shoot or not. They definitely did gig a lot in Japan in the 60s and later, and they put out a Live in Japan record that I had at the time. I just put the 1994 CD of it on right now to compare, and I'm pretty much certain it's the exact same audio as the video -- listen in phones for a weird asymmetrical change of low end during the first verse, not something that happened twice I'd bet.

So whether that's the video that goes with that audio or not, it's definitely them, and they did sound like that.

Not sure what you guys are on about with whether the audio in that vid is from that actual video shoot or not. They definitely did gig a lot in Japan in the 60s and later, and they put out a Live in Japan record that I had at the time. I just put the 1994 CD of it on right now to compare, and I'm pretty much certain it's the exact same audio as the video -- listen in phones for a weird asymmetrical change of low end during the first verse, not something that happened twice I'd bet.

So whether that's the video that goes with that audio or not, it's definitely them, and they did sound like that.

I don't think anyone here is trying to out them as pick-and-stick-synching pioneers, rather than having a little too much fun wondering how they captured the performance with what seems to be hidden microphones!

Those Fender Showman amps had JBL D130F's in them. Those were pretty loud and bright speakers in their day. To get that twang, you might need to get a D130F IR.

I have a Fender Showman from that era, and four JBL D120Fs (the 12") but I use Celestion speakers in that amp now - when it ever get played. It is set up out in the garage as we speak though.

"Live in Japan" it says. I don't know of many drummers that can "Playsync" to a prerecorded track that well without headphones.

We all know that "live" doesn't mean squat.  ;)  The guitars were recorded live as well and "cleaned up" post production. See video below, that's not a sync issue. I'm certainly not knocking anyone but that's what's going on here. Is there really any doubt?  :huh: Keep an eye on Nokie Edwards...

https://youtu.be/3bKG0p6Tv9Q?t=1m23s