Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native

Peckanina

DEFINITELY need to make a standalone version; I don't wanna have to boot up Logic Pro and go through all the hassle to set up a track to record just to use this. Sometimes I just wanna jam out. Granted, I have Bias & Amplitube already - but I want Helix, too!

Guys, this is a great idea and it's definitely a day-one buy (especially since I get it at the discounted rate as a Helix owner) - but it needs to have a standalone. It took Bias several months to make this happen, but I use it FAR more in standalone mode than I ever did as a plugin. hell, I just leave it on and open all the time. and plug in my guitar when I don't feel like waking the neighbors with my amp.

DEFINITELY need to make a standalone version; I don't wanna have to boot up Logic Pro and go through all the hassle to set up a track to record just to use this. Sometimes I just wanna jam out. Granted, I have Bias & Amplitube already - but I want Helix, too!

I think that there is actually a standalone version as part of this. Basically imagine opening the editor, but having it be the whole shooting' match.

I think that there is actually a standalone version as part of this. Basically imagine opening the editor, but having it be the whole shooting' match.

There won't be a standalone version of Native... At least at launch.

Ah- I thought @digital_igloo made it clear erlier in the thread that it's not being considered at this point... But maybe I missed something. that's great, then!

Edit: ninja'd by Phil_m :) Oh well.

I believe it's based at least in part on the fact that there are apparently low cost / free loaders which can 'host' the plugin.

I confess this subject isn't my wheelhouse - but my interest Is strong, since I do want to be able to use a 'virtual' Helix on my computer =]

No standalone? Crap! That's one of the reasons I want Native.

What does it matter. You have to launch an app, whether that's a standalone or something like MainStage, what does it really and truly matter?

Standalone would be cool, but, frankly, useless to me anyway.

Any there any Windows Cubase AI Users following this thread who might care to comment about how they like it?

I'm considering using it to VST Host Helix Native. I'm entitled to a free download of Cubase AI (associated with Yamaha gear), so it will be effectively a free VST Host (if it doesn't become a gateway DAW to upgrade to a higher Cubase version). :)

Are there others I should consider instead?

I'm thinking for those who are looking for a non-DAW solution for hosting Native, that Midi Guitar 2 would be be a viable, and , depending on your interest in having any midi or sampled tones at your fingertips to blend with your Helix tones, potentially great fun. I already do this with Bias and other Mac guitar sims, but Midi guitar is cross-platform, and a very solid VST or AU host in addition to its midi conversion and tracking skills. http://www.jamorigin.com

I'm thinking for those who are looking for a non-DAW solution for hosting Native, that Midi Guitar 2 would be be a viable, and , depending on your interest in having any midi or sampled tones at your fingertips to blend with your Helix tones, potentially great fun. I already do this with Bias and other Mac guitar sims, but Midi guitar is cross-platform, and a very solid VST or AU host in addition to its midi conversion and tracking skills. http://www.jamorigin.com

For Mac a fantastic choice would simply be MainStage, though.

• Upvote 2

For Mac a fantastic choice would simply be MainStage, though.

Funny, tho I've had it on my Macs since its inception, never really used it as Logic was better for my needs, but in a live context, makes perfect sense . You could also incorporate Midi guitar in that scenario.

lol at the people complaining about having to open your DAW and set-up ONE track with a VST to use this.......

Hmm i really want a standalone version as it is much faster

Anyway a simple "workaround" is to make a standalone version of the vst version using savihost and and rename the savihost exe to whatever the Helix dll would be called when it released

So if Helix natives Vst dll file name will be say helix.dll just copy the tsavihostx64.exe file to the same vst folder as helix.dll is located (I choose to have all my vst in different folders named after the type of effect it is so its easy to find them in my Daw) So for me i copy the savihost exefile to the Gtr Amsims folder and then i rename the tsavihostx64.exe to helix.exe and make a shortcut and place it on the desktop.

And when you click on the shortcut it load Helix native plugin.

And savihost support Asio drivers so no problem with latency

http://www.hermannseib.com/english/savihost.htm

remeber to dl the one called Vst2 tracing = tsavihostx64 if you want to make a "standalone" version of a 64bit plugin and x86 if the plugin is a 32bit plugin

Another option is cantabile performer lite but its slower since you have to first load the cantabile then load the plugin

https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/download/

On my mac i use Hosting AU

http://ju-x.com/hostingau.html

• Upvote 2

It's pretty easy to do with your DAW, too. Open DAW->Add Native to Track->Set input Settings->Save Project to Desktop as HELIX NATIVE.RPP (for Reaper, of course). When you want to run Native, double click on that project, BAM, single track sessions with Native loaded. And that way if you get inspired, you're already in your DAW to add tracks and record.

• Upvote 3

It's pretty easy to do with your DAW, too. Open DAW->Add Native to Track->Set input Settings->Save Project to Desktop as HELIX NATIVE.RPP (for Reaper, of course). When you want to run Native, double click on that project, BAM, single track sessions with Native loaded. And that way if you get inspired, you're already in your DAW to add tracks and record.

This should be helpful. Thanks.

Can anyone post instructions like this for different DAWs? Presonus, Ableton, etc.?

This should be helpful. Thanks.

Can anyone post instructions like this for different DAWs? Presonus, Ableton, etc.?

I will add for FL Studio.

You open FLS. Setup the routing however you want with Helix Native.

Now save the project file (to the desktop) as Helix Jam. Now everytime you launch that file from the shortcut on your desktop it wll load the project as you had it saved last, including the routing with Helix Native.

FLS will Probably be one of the easiest to do this with.

Its 10 years I use Cantabile, and I find it the perfect easy peasy software to play VSTs without installing useless libraries and fat applications. Works flawless and I also did lot of live performances with it, without skipping a beat. Not affiliated in any way with it, just a happy user.. :)

https://www.cantabilesoftware.com

Since L6 don't use iLok, any idea how I'd backup the Helix Native license if I need to change my SSD of my MacBook or upgrade to a Mac Pro desktop? Additionally, is HN an instrument plugin or an FX plugin I use as an insert FX, or both?

Since L6 don't use iLok, any idea how I'd backup the Helix Native license if I need to change my SSD of my MacBook or upgrade to a Mac Pro desktop? Additionally, is HN an instrument plugin or an FX plugin I use as an insert FX, or both?

The modern route is it will more than likely have your license tied to your Line 6 account. Much in the way Image-Line, Toontrack, and WAVES do.

No back up needed.

This, of course, is my educated guess. Not from Line 6.

Somewhat terrified that the only VST version listed is VST3. Neither Mixbus 32C nor Reaper are compatible with VST3.

Reaper supports VST3. I have a bunch of VST3 plug-ins I use in Reaper all the time.

I got my the first Line6 PODXT Live back in 2005! and I am excited for the Native Plug-in. It should bring me back to L6 world again. I still own the PODXT Live though. 

399$ is a bit overpriced. Any discounts for loyal customers - literally 12 years with Line 6! :)

18 days until June 21st. Countdown has started!

399$ is a bit overpriced. Any discounts for loyal customers - literally 12 years with Line 6! :)

Discounts have been published for Helix and Helix LT owners.  There's been discussion of discounts for Pod Farm Platinum owners but I haven't see anything else on the table.

lol at the people complaining about having to open your DAW and set-up ONE track with a VST to use this.......

It has been this way "FOREVER" with just about every other plugin out there. They all need a host to run. Those that don't know this fact are very very new to using VSTs, AU, etc etc.

Hi.

I have Helix, but also looking forward to having the power of it in software form; the same way that I had POD Farm 2 as well as my X3 Live. Pod Farm came free with the X3, so its a shame to have to pay extra for the Helix Native, so I have been waiting to see a price, and at $99 I would go for it.

In some ways I can see the point of it, but in other ways I think is there a point, given the ease with which you can do revamping in the Helix Hardware? On balance, I think there is a point. For me, it is the ability to record using the Helix Hardware and then the ability to re-amp within the DAW to save switching between DAW and Helix Editor (e.g. When in the editor, I can't use DAW transport controls), and then have the resultant patch ready for live use.

For those looking for something other than a DAW host for live use (e.g. I can see it as a back up if, heaven forbid, my Helix hardware ever failed, or for additional processing), then I can highly recommend Cantabile by Top Ten Software (easy to google). This is a VST host designed for live use, and it can do all sorts of dangerous tricks that a DAW can't. There are different versions with expanding feature set (as you go up the version tree), including a free LITE version which may be enough for some, but it is so powerful, I have the top end one. It will also run as a 30 day demo so you can try all features before committing.

On stage I have used Cantabile to play backing tracks, host soft synths, cue DMX light shows, do complex MIDI routing and filtering and patch switches, playback samples triggered by a drum pad, etc. So it is well worth checking out.

With regards to the "oh crap, I will have to start a program and then load a VST" comments about Helix software requiring a VST host, Cantabile can be set on startup to preload a "set list" which is a collection of songs, and when a song is selected, it will recall everything saved in it including VSTs and their settings. I.e. The two things I only ever do to my computer on stage after startup and log in, is to shut down the virus checker (WIFI disabled and you don't want on access or full virus sweeps kicking in when the software thinks the computer is idle (due to no user input!) when it is actually busy playing back files), and start Cantabile.

Right now I am setting up for a small duo act, of myself on guitar and a singer, performing to backing tracks. I have set the Helix Hardware and Cantabile (with appropriate MIDI cabling) up as follows:

1) When I select a patch on Helix, Cantabile is listening to the patch changes and will select the relevant backing song ready to play back.

2) I have used Helix Command Centre to setup two stomp switches to send MIDI MMC START and STOP messages respectively to start and stop the Cantabile playback.

3) I have setup another Stomp Switch to a CC toggle to unmute a WAV file played back at the same time as the main backing track, which has my singer's vocals on. Which allows me to practice without her there. It's is muted by default, so not on during a show.

4) Cantabile is also programmed so that when a song is selected (by Helix patch changes) that it sends a patch change to a TC-Helion vocal processor to also select its patches.

5) During song playback, as well as the WAV file with the backing track, there is a MIDI file running in sync sending MIDI CCs to the vocal processor to change "Steps" within the song preset (different effects settings for different parts of the songs - e.g start and end of song is dry, step one light doubling for verse, step 2 harmonies for chorus) and also MIDI chords for the harmoniser to do its work.

6) In the future the MIDI track will also send cues to my lighting system based on the DMXIS hardware and VST.

So, you can see, on stage, the computer can be tucked away (eventually it will be a "brick pc" inside my gig rack that houses the sound module, line mixer and IEM transmitter) and all i need to interact with is the Helix.

Hope this is not too off topic, but it gives you an idea of what a powerful pairing that Helix and a PC running Cantabile can be! I am really pleased with the thought that has gone into the Helix hardware such as the Command Centre, which makes it a powerful MIDI controller as well as Guitar processor, which has allowed me to program this interaction between Helix and Cantabile!

Now I just wish Line6 would consider a new left handed Variax model (you have to have a dream).......

• Upvote 1

dacook2110...A lot of the things you mentioned are things I want to do. I have been staring at the Cantabile pages for a few weeks. Sooner or later...sooner, really, I will DL that! Thanks for the in-depth description of how you use Cantabile!  :)

No worries. I was hoping that my experience in using a live host would help somebody, which is what forums are all about :)

If you have any specific queries, feel free to ask. There is also a fairly active Cantabile forum as well for the really tricky questions and the developer is pretty responsive to reported issues and feature requests.

Cheers

Derek

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought the Helix. Not sure if I'd need this really. I'd just use the Helix. It's got a pedal and o could connect a Variax if I ever get one. Plus I could use it to play live. But $99 is a good price.

What if I got this and then sold the helix down the line?

Couldn't someone buy a Helix, buy the VST for the reduced price and then just send it back?

Just curious as to how his all works.