Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native

Peckanina

Probably not the best place to ask, but I struggle to find any info searching Google and the website. Where do I enter my EU VAT ID while purchasing, given that I have VAT exemption?

Thanks

Um yeah, bet that's not straightforward! There presumably is a VAT content in there. Can only ask Line 6 direct. seeems a bit odd purchase is only USD

I presume a single purchase of a Helix Native license is good to be installed on a couple of different PC's owned by me?

Can't seem to find license terms...

You can have it installed on up to 4 computers.

It would be nice if it would run on at least one of my computers;

system one 64 I5 16 gig ram win 7 64

system 2 64 i7 32 gig ram win 7 64

system 3 macbook 64 i5 8 gig ram macos (Latest version)

I would buy it in a heartbeat to go with my helix but if it won't run on over $6000 worth of computer equipment Why? Please help!

Why won't it run on the Mac? Actually, shouldn't it run on any of those systems? Why won't it? What DAW are you using?

is there a manual somewhere available how to match the sound, presets from helix hardware vs native ?

You don't need to do anything special. They should just match. If you record a dry track from the Helix and then insert an instance of Native on that track and use the same preset on the hardware and in Native, it will sound exactly the same.

The wildcard in all of it going to be your input and your interface. Most interfaces don't have a variable input Z circuit like the Helix has, so that can definitely cause a difference.

well, for some reason it doesn't, native sounds very boxy, can't match. global eqs disabled, etc etc...

Also, this is another thing, I record a dry track - with native being on insert fx I get a dry sound along with native processed. when native output is turned to zero, still the dry track is present. and this is using different interface, too.

I really want to like Native, but it doesn't come to me easy, first the crashes, now the eq things (still, triple play every 2nd or 3rd run says native64 is not plugin, occasionally on rescan adds, sometimes not)

well, for some reason it doesn't, native sounds very boxy, can't match. global eqs disabled, etc etc...

Also, this is another thing, I record a dry track - with native being on insert fx I get a dry sound along with native processed. when native output is turned to zero, still the dry track is present. and this is using different interface, too.

I really want to like Native, but it doesn't come to me easy, first the crashes, now the eq things (still, triple play every 2nd or 3rd run says native64 is not plugin, occasionally on rescan adds, sometimes not)

The issue with the dry track sounds like some setting in your DAW... What DAW are you using, btw?

Too the boxiness issue above...

The reason it sounds like that is because you have a phasing problem. This is evident because you still have a dry signal along with it. That will cause the phasing issue, which is in turn creating the boxy sound. 

The problem is with the routing you have set up in your DAW.  Once you find out how to eliminate the dry signal, but keep the processed signal, that phasing (boxiness) will vanish.  Any half-way decent DAW will have this option. You may just need to refer to the manual,or help index, of your DAW.  

I just switched to Cubase... and the noise is gone.

Now, the only difference besides this being Cubase and not Ableton is that this is the VST version of Native.

Ableton won't find the VST version of it for some reason, so I've had to use the AU version of Native there instead.

EDIT: Just read that the AU version is the only one supported in Ableton. Whoops!

Not sure if or why that would make a difference in the noise floor, but for some reason it has.

Perhaps Ableton doesn't support VST3?  By default, Native only loads VST3 (supported by most DAWs these days) and AU (ProTools plugin format) and skips loading VST2 version (supported by just about all DAW's).  Perhaps 1. Upgrade Ableton to a version that supports VST3 (Do newer versions support VST3?) or 2. Go back to the installer and load the VST2 version (I'm imagining some functionality of performance will be lost, but at least it perhaps works?).

I'm using Mixcraft and it at least finds and starts the (VST3) plugin.  I haven't had a chance to test it yet.  It's not a "supported" DAW, but I'm not expecting any problems.  Mixcraft ver 8 now supports VST3 (and side chaining, etc.).

Edit: Hmm, just read through your post again and perhaps Ableton doesn't support VST3 at all.  Does it support VST2?

Too the boxiness issue above...

The reason it sounds like that is because you have a phasing problem. This is evident because you still have a dry signal along with it. That will cause the phasing issue, which is in turn creating the boxy sound. 

The problem is with the routing you have set up in your DAW.  Once you find out how to eliminate the dry signal, but keep the processed signal, that phasing (boxiness) will vanish.  Any half-way decent DAW will have this option. You may just need to refer to the manual,or help index, of your DAW.  

thx for the hints, very helpful. these two problems are solved.

with boxiness, - I was using native64 thru savihost, which has only stereo input pairs. lame.

as with dry signal being carried thru - it is some sort of bug with jBridge. I jbridged it and ran it in Cubase32, whose gui is the most pleasant for me from all. In reaper64, of course, there are no routing problems.

Perhaps Ableton doesn't support VST3?  By default, Native only loads VST3 (supported by most DAWs these days) and AU (ProTools plugin format) and skips loading VST2 version (supported by just about all DAW's).  Perhaps 1. Upgrade Ableton to a version that supports VST3 (Do newer versions support VST3?) or 2. Go back to the installer and load the VST2 version (I'm imagining some functionality of performance will be lost, but at least it perhaps works?).

I'm using Mixcraft and it at least finds and starts the (VST3) plugin.  I haven't had a chance to test it yet.  It's not a "supported" DAW, but I'm not expecting any problems.  Mixcraft ver 8 now supports VST3 (and side chaining, etc.).

Edit: Hmm, just read through your post again and perhaps Ableton doesn't support VST3 at all.  Does it support VST2?

According to Line6Tony who posted in this thread:

http://line6.com/support/topic/29033-helix-native-available-81617/

Abelton Live should require the VST2 version of Helix Native.

Although, strangely enough, another guy in this thread at post #2 says that Abelton Live 9 runs with the AU plug-in.

http://line6.com/support/topic/29056-helix-native-compatibility/?do=findComment&comment=224911

EDIT: the guy at post #2 is the same guy posting the question here - plain weird!

Confused? I am.

Yesterday my copy of Native was running as a demo version in Logic Pro X, today it was functioning perfectly as the full paid up version - until I quit for lunch, came back and fired up Logic and it had reverted back to the demo vesrion. AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGG!

Wot da funk is going on?

The interface is lollipop. Starting from the fact that on 4k and diagonal in 30 inches displays, you have to use the mouse to scroll the parameters of the amplifier ... Are you serious ???? And the choice of the amplifier ... click on the amp and it becomes the top on the list. And if I want to choose the lowest one in the list, and then listen to the upper one, then I have to turn the mouse wheel, because the list gets lost ... Comrades developers, if you make the interface for the PC, then at least normally transfer it from the tablets. Or write again

Do not repeat the mistakes of the developers of computer games, when the game kills the control, crookedly transferred from the console to the PC. Without taking into account that there is a mouse and keyboard, and not just a gamepad

According to Line6Tony who posted in this thread:

http://line6.com/support/topic/29033-helix-native-available-81617/

Abelton Live should require the VST2 version of Helix Native.

Although, strangely enough, another guy in this thread at post #2 says that Abelton Live 9 runs with the AU plug-in.

http://line6.com/support/topic/29056-helix-native-compatibility/?do=findComment&comment=224911

EDIT: the guy at post #2 is the same guy posting the question here - plain weird!

Confused? I am.

Yesterday my copy of Native was running as a demo version in Logic Pro X, today it was functioning perfectly as the full paid up version - until I quit for lunch, came back and fired up Logic and it had reverted back to the demo vesrion. AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGG!

Wot da funk is going on?

Sorry for the confusion. Ableton on Mac only uses AU, on Windows, Ableton only supports VST2.

I'm using both, as well as Cubase which only supports VST3 so confused myself too sorry.

The interface is lollipop. Starting from the fact that on 4k and diagonal in 30 inches displays, you have to use the mouse to scroll the parameters of the amplifier ... Are you serious ???? And the choice of the amplifier ... click on the amp and it becomes the top on the list. And if I want to choose the lowest one in the list, and then listen to the upper one, then I have to turn the mouse wheel, because the list gets lost ... Comrades developers, if you make the interface for the PC, then at least normally transfer it from the tablets. Or write again

Do not repeat the mistakes of the developers of computer games, when the game kills the control, crookedly transferred from the console to the PC. Without taking into account that there is a mouse and keyboard, and not just a gamepad

I agree totally, the UI is a nightmare on my 30 inch monitor.

You should not have to scroll a windows to get to all the parameters.

The block type/subtype should be a pull down, maybe on right click on the block then we get all that space back.

Preset choosing should be separate, who do we need that taking up space.

Maybe the developers should look at some other plugins to see how they do things!

The one thing the editor and the plugin make me realise is just how good the UI on the helix itself is!

Well I took the plunge, after some minor problems I got it loaded and working great and no noticeable latency. Now I need one of the native experts to tell me how to do this next trick:

on a macbook pro in cubase elements 8, record one track using just native- works perfectly

next play back track and play along with it- opps lots of clicks and buzzes turn off native on one track back to perfect

re enable second track to play along RE- solo over existing track running native same problem ...

It seems I can't run a track using native and record another using native.. Computer limitations maybe. Please reply with any ideas you may have. Other than that I don't have to drag my helix in to record any more just my computer and interface 1 cable and guitar Bam recording anywhere!!! Awesomesause!

Hello

Guys is there any dual mono/stereo mode in HN? 2 guitar tracks (both panned hard L and R) are channel into guitar "master" track but it merges sound into mono instead dual mono/stereo. Do I hace to open seperate instance for each guitar track?

Thanks so much for any help

Hello

Guys is there any dual mono/stereo mode in HN? 2 guitar tracks (both panned hard L and R) are channel into guitar "master" track but it merges sound into mono instead dual mono/stereo. Do I hace to open seperate instance for each guitar track?

Thanks so much for any help

I think the input is mono. So you should make separate instances.

Ableton doesn't support VST3.  VST2 is working with no issues for me.

I think the input is mono. So you should make separate instances.

What I dont undestand is - 

When I record with Helix Hardware it lays down a stereo track of Helix processed tone

HOWEVER

When I track the DI via USB 7 it is a MONO track

Then I re amp this using Helix Native with the same patch with NO stereo effects and it sounds different?!

If I track with the Helix and TURN OFF all processing it still tracks as a STEREO DI.

What is the best way to do what im trying to do which is replicate the PRECISE tone of the hardware via DI?

Im thinking set both USB7 AND 8 to be DI and then track to a stereo track for Helix native to process? Would that duplicate the tone?

Also in theory woouldn't the INPUT level be perfect set at 0 if I track this way IE: the guitar is hitting Helix Native at the same level it does in the Hardware unit, thereby duplicating the tone EXACTLY?

Sorry for my confusion but Id like this cleared up. Im tracking via VDI with my Variax JTV89 mostly if that helps...

What I dont undestand is - 

When I record with Helix Hardware it lays down a stereo track of Helix processed tone

HOWEVER

When I track the DI via USB 7 it is a MONO track

Then I re amp this using Helix Native with the same patch with NO stereo effects and it sounds different?!

If I track with the Helix and TURN OFF all processing it still tracks as a STEREO DI.

What is the best way to do what im trying to do which is replicate the PRECISE tone of the hardware via DI?

Im thinking set both USB7 AND 8 to be DI and then track to a stereo track for Helix native to process? Would that duplicate the tone?

Also in theory woouldn't the INPUT level be perfect set at 0 if I track this way IE: the guitar is hitting Helix Native at the same level it does in the Hardware unit, thereby duplicating the tone EXACTLY?

Sorry for my confusion but Id like this cleared up. Im tracking via VDI with my Variax JTV89 mostly if that helps...

SO you are tracking with two different sounds coming from your JTV?

I do something similar, and find that two instances of Native (Mono -> Stereo) on two tracks works best.

But what you describe will work I think.

Hi there. 

SO you are tracking with two different sounds coming from your JTV?

I do something similar, and find that two instances of Native (Mono -> Stereo) on two tracks works best.

But what you describe will work I think.

No I usually am tracking just the Magnetic pickups sound OR the Variax model, rarely both.

You don't have to but it though, for me in its current state it isn't worth the money so I wouldn't buy it even if it was 25 euros. Others will but I'm not upset about that.

If they sort out the GUI and the automation then I would maybe get it. 

Para usuarios de la unidad física me parece caro. Tengo el Helix Rack + Helix Control y ahora tengo que pagar 82€ por el software después de haberme gastado mucha pasta en Helix?? 

Please i downloaded the free trial of helix but there are no factory presets. What do i do.

Click on the "Helix Native" logo at the bottom of the Helix Native plug-in screen. "Restore Factory Presets" is what I think you want.

It is only online for the demo version to stop you downloading the demo and then taking your computer offline and resetting the date.

The purchased version is fine offline once registered on up to 4 computers and unlimited instances running at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

Lest y'all have forgotten...

Line 6 made the very first amp sim plugin ever—Amp Farm, way back in '98.

This is our wheelhouse.

And THIS is the best GUI you can come up with?? Even 'ol Gear Box had a better GUI IMHO.....REALLY dislike this one. And $400 for non-Helix hardware owners?? Good luck with that. IMHO there are much better values in VST ampsims....that are ALSO standalone.

• Downvote 1

And THIS is the best GUI you can come up with?? Even 'ol Gear Box had a better GUI IMHO.....REALLY dislike this one. And $400 for non-Helix hardware owners?? Good luck with that. IMHO there are much better values in VST ampsims....that are ALSO standalone.

Um... disagree... a lot...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Um... disagree... a lot...

"UMNN....DISAGREE...A LOT"  That's all you've got??

Wow....that really eloquently states your case. Care to explain yourself? The GUI is amateurish compared to even LINE6's earlier work. 

Symbols & sliders?? WTF?? It looks like something cobbled together in Synthedit. Tiny little pics of the hardware that can't be accessed

and/or tweaked?? Super tiny text that causes eye strain after 10-20 minutes. Sorry....you need to come up with a better argument than that.

IMHO the GUI sucks.....I given plenty of reasons why I think so. What are your's for disagreeing with me??

Oh or are you disagreeing with me that the software isn't worth $400 to non-hardware owners?? How would I know

seeing as how you're too lazy too clearly explain yourself?

"UMNN....DISAGREE...A LOT"  That's all you've got??

Wow....that really eloquently states your case. Care to explain yourself? The GUI is amateurish compared to even LINE6's earlier work. 

Symbols & sliders?? WTF?? It looks like something cobbled together in Synthedit. Tiny little pics of the hardware that can't be accessed

and/or tweaked?? Super tiny text that causes eye strain after 10-20 minutes. Sorry....you need to come up with a better argument than that.

IMHO the GUI sucks.....I given plenty of reasons why I think so. What are your's for disagreeing with me??

Oh or are you disagreeing with me that the software isn't worth $400 to non-hardware owners?? How would I know

It was designed to operate just like the front panel as much as possible, and it does.

I have bad eyes and have no problems seeing it on my MacBook Pro.

imho, you are incorrect.

That said, the best software out there like this is definitely Axe Edit, so I'm not saying it's the best or anything.

But it has never gotten in the way of what I want to do.

More concerned with it doing what it needs to and the sound coming out. Both happen.

... How would I know

Seriously??

I think most that have been around the Helix and Helix Native forums would tend to think PeterHamm IS the epitome of not lazy.

IMHO needing the GUI to have fancy graphics could be interpreted as amateurish.

That being said maybe Line6 could eventually have more than one GUI mode.

Perhaps a "graphic mode" to appease those that like shiny objects and the current "workflow mode" for professionals that need to get stuff done and don't want to click thru a bunch of bells and whistles.

But yeah, I suppose a killer pic of an amp would make it sound better and perhaps help justify the price tag?

Just my opinion.

Skeuomorphism is dead! Or it should be... Many other plug-ins with their highly stylized and "aged" looking equipment skins look very dated to me... The simpler the better, imo.

• Downvote 1

If you like the GUI....fine. I'm happy for you. I don't. I've been DEEPLY involved with the development of both hardware and software ampsims and VST FX
development since DAY 1. Some of you were probably in diapers then.

You're entitled to your opinions as I am to mine. I've owned many Line6 products....I still have an X3 I use on occasion.
But quite frankly, I have various hardware & software products that IN MY OPINION sound better and and are more user friendly than Line6 products.
That being said, I will admit that Helix is a step forward both in terms of sound and hardware/software integration and the patch handling system is
somewhat improved.

If Line6 had gotten on the ball and made the Pod X3 compatible with PodFarm2 they MIGHT have kept my business.....but no they NEVER released a

dedicated editor and forced us to use the already very outdated GearBox. I've moved on and I'm glad I did.

Have fun with your toys boys.

If you like the GUI....fine. I'm happy for you. I don't. I've been DEEPLY involved with the development of both hardware and software ampsims and VST FX

development since DAY 1. Some of you were probably in diapers then.

You're entitled to your opinions as I am to mine. I've owned many Line6 products....I still have an X3 I use on occasion.

But quite frankly, I have various hardware & software products that IN MY OPINION sound better and and are more user friendly than Line6 products.

That being said, I will admit that Helix is a step forward both in terms of sound and hardware/software integration and the patch handling system is

somewhat improved.

If Line6 had gotten on the ball and made the Pod X3 compatible with PodFarm2 they MIGHT have kept my business.....but no they NEVER released a

dedicated editor and forced us to use the already very outdated GearBox. I've moved on and I'm glad I did.

Have fun with your toys boys.

One size doesn't fit all, so that's cool. Enjoy whatever it is that you use.

Just still trying to figure out why the look of an editor is of such paramount importance.

The idea with Helix Editor was so that the screen of the unit and the screen on the computer would be as similar as possible so that you could go back and forth easily.

Having a cool picture of a Tube Screamer in my display on the computer and something that's just a block on my Unit doesn't make as much sense as keeping it the same from a usability standpoint, so that going back and forth is easy. (I prefer using the Helix Hardware for about 95% of my editing anyway, it's so easy).

I don't remember Gearbox being such a bad product to use, but oh well...