Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native

Peckanina

I suppose there might be some folks that don't perform live and just do studio work that might opt to only have the software plug-in, but I agree it's likely to be a pretty massive memory load given all the features, effects and routing options. I think there will be some folks that are using laptops that may have a problem with it due either to processing power or memory. I hope Line6 does a good job of specifying requirements or they may have some very unhappy customers.

There will be a free 15 days trial period with the full software, so people should get that and test it out before reaching for the pocket.

Just saw the ad!  Own the Helix and get it for $99.00 ....  AND new stuff in 2.20 coming soon to a Helix near you!  True?  If so I just did what my wife does all the time ... only for real!!  I did just spend $1,500 and saved us ... hmm, $15,000 (OK maybe a little over the top but I priced the bass effects and imaged the cost of the amps ...)

Tell me this is true (or at least the $99.00 part for current Helix owners and Helix Native)! :o :o

Dennis B)

Just saw the ad!  Own the Helix and get it for $99.00 ....  AND new stuff in 2.20 coming soon to a Helix near you!  True?  If so I just did what my wife does all the time ... only for real!!  I did just spend $1,500 and saved us ... hmm, $15,000 (OK maybe a little over the top but I priced the bass effects and imaged the cost of the amps ...)

Tell me this is true (or at least the $99.00 part for current Helix owners and Helix Native)! :o :o

Dennis B)

giphy.gif

• Upvote 3

Lest y'all have forgotten...

Line 6 made the very first amp sim plugin ever—Amp Farm, way back in '98.

This is our wheelhouse.

Yes DI it's Line 6's wheelhouse. But IMHO the tones were not really on "Top O the shelf" with Kemper and Fractal until Helix came out  ;) AS always YMMV.

While I'm at it, if you add a few more delay's to Native like this, it would be icing on the cake...

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've not used a pc based amp system since a Toneport ux1 which I recorded with Cubase lite (or cubasis or Cubase le, something like that). What would I need to be able to use this new helix plug in? Could I dig out the old toneport as an input and install helix into cubase ? Sorry not very pc savvy these days, generally prefer hardware but I only use at home so if this is a cost effective way of having the helix quality tones using pc and interface I already own I'd be very interested.

Thanks for the advice and sorry if my ignorance is hilarious.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've not used a pc based amp system since a Toneport ux1 which I recorded with Cubase lite (or cubasis or Cubase le, something like that). What would I need to be able to use this new helix plug in? Could I dig out the old toneport as an input and install helix into cubase ? Sorry not very pc savvy these days, generally prefer hardware but I only use at home so if this is a cost effective way of having the helix quality tones using pc and interface I already own I'd be very interested.

Thanks for the advice and sorry if my ignorance is hilarious.

Assuming you can find drivers for that old audio interface to use with your current pc, then it should work.

Only problem would be inherent latency depending on your interface. Which you speak of a UX1, and it will have some latency. Going through a DAW like your Cubase can lower it using ASIO, but its still very much there.

Assuming you can find drivers for that old audio interface to use with your current pc, then it should work.

Only problem would be inherent latency depending on your interface. Which you speak of a UX1, and it will have some latency. Going through a DAW like your Cubase can lower it using ASIO, but its still very much there.

Thanks, I guess I'll experiment when the 15 day trial is live.

DI posted:

HELIX NATIVE FAQ

Wait… Is this Helix in a plugin?

Yes. Helix Native features all the amp, cab, and effects models of Helix and Helix Rack, as well as IR loading. Its presets are fully compatible with Helix and Helix Rack hardware so you can effortlessly transfer your tones from the studio to the stage and back again.

What plug-in formats are supported?

Mac and Windows, 64-bit VST3/VST2, AU, and AAX.

Will it work with iLok?

Helix Native is authorized through Line 6 License Manager which can be downloaded from www.line6.com/software. There is no licensing available through iLok.

How many computers can I install Helix Native on with a single license?

Licensing is tied to your Line 6 account and up to four computers can share a single license.

Is there a demo version to try out?

A free trial will be made available and is fully functional for 15 days.

How many parameters can be automated?

Parameters and/or block bypass states can be automated by assigning them to automation channels in your DAW (up to 16 per instance).

I don’t get it. Why would you offer all that Helix goodness in a plug-in?

Because it’s the right thing to do. Helix is all about elegant solutions to musicians’ problems, and the studio-to-stage-and-back promise was too big of a deal not to pursue. Have you ever tried to nail every guitar tone on your record for an upcoming tour? With Helix Native, potentially weeks of work could be condensed down to a minute or two.

What does Helix Native cost?

Helix Native sells for $399 USD. However, to hammer home the whole studio-to-stage thing, we’re offering a discount to registered Helix and Helix Rack owners; they can purchase Helix Native for $99. Existing POD Farm customers are eligible for certain discounts as well (TBD).

When and where?

Helix Native will be available on the Line 6 store (https://store.line6.com) in Spring of 2017

This FAQ says VST2 will be supported.  The main site does not reference VST2.  Can someone from L6 confirm if VST2 is supported?  I want to use this with Ableton Live which is a little bit behind the times with no VST3 support.

Also, the question about about if Helix Control can be used hasn't been answered.

Finally, I can't wait to hear how the routing will work.  Hopefully I can route to various inputs/outputs on my audio interface to be able to use stomp boxes with this.

Also, the question about about if Helix Control can be used hasn't been answered.

DI answered it somewhere... Not sure if it was here or over on the TGP, but anyway, no, right now the Helix Control doesn't have this ability. There is a USB jack on the Helix Control, so it may be something that's added in the future.

The thing about the Helix Control board is that it's not a standard MIDI or class-compliant MIDI over USB controller. It's simply a "dumb" remote for the Helix Rack. I imagine if it were made to work as a controller, it would mean that a driver would need to be developed to support it. Not outside the realm of possibilities by any means, but that work hasn't been done yet.

Will a DAW be required to use this or will the plug in work as a stand-alone application on any pc with an audio interface such as a scarlet solo? I see some audio interfaces include things like cakewalk - would it work with that? Thanks

Plug-in only right now, so yes, you'll need to have some sort of plug-in loader for it to work. A DAW is going to be the most common way to do that. There are all sort of inexpensive or free DAWs out there now, though.

Lest y'all have forgotten...

Line 6 made the very first amp sim plugin ever—Amp Farm, way back in '98.

This is our wheelhouse.

Definitely.  But... Didn't Amp Farm run on Protools' DSP Farm Cards not on the computer's CPU?  I don't think there was a Native version, was there?

That and, well, I hated the Pods.  I hope that Helix Native has the same feel and response that Helix Hardware does. What's gonna happen to the Input Impedance part, I mean, is that software controlling the Helix's hardware or is that done in software alone? If its the former, I can't help but think that there may well be a significant change in the way Helix Native responds to touch and pick attack - that it won't be like that of Helix Hardware.

Definitely.  But... Didn't Amp Farm run on Protools' DSP Farm Cards not on the computer's CPU?  I don't think there was a Native version, was there?

That and, well, I hated the Pods.  I hope that Helix Native has the same feel and response that Helix Hardware does. What's gonna happen to the Input Impedance part, I mean, is that software controlling the Helix's hardware or is that done in software alone? If its the former, I can't help but think that there may well be a significant change in the way Helix Native responds to touch and pick attack - that it won't be like that of Helix Hardware.

Well Amp Farm was replaced (for the most part) with POD Farm, and that ran natively.

As far as the input impedance, it will depend on what sort of input Z your interface has. There are some interfaces that have a variable input impedance circuit similar to the Helix.

• Upvote 1

Plug-in only right now, so yes, you'll need to have some sort of plug-in loader for it to work. A DAW is going to be the most common way to do that. There are all sort of inexpensive or free DAWs out there now, though.

Can you please recommend a suitable free DAW that I may try the Trial version with when available? I actually have Cubase 5 - would that be suitable?

Can you please recommend a suitable free DAW that I may try the Trial version with when available? I actually have Cubase 5 - would that be suitable?

If it's the 64-bit version of Cubase 5, I believe it should work... Cubase 5 is a bit long in the tooth now, but I believe it can load VST2 plug-ins. Not sure about VST3, though.

I still think that Reaper is one of the best deals out there right now. It's not free, but it's harder to think of a better deal for $60.

If you want free, you can get the free version of Pro Tools, Pro Tools First. It supports aax plug-ins. It has certain limitations (which I'm entirely sure of), but if you're just doing limited recording, it might be worth checking out.

• Upvote 1

If it's the 64-bit version of Cubase 5, I believe it should work... Cubase 5 is a bit long in the tooth now, but I believe it can load VST2 plug-ins. Not sure about VST3, though.

I still think that Reaper is one of the best deals out there right now. It's not free, but it's harder to think of a better deal for $60.

If you want free, you can get the free version of Pro Tools, Pro Tools First. It supports aax plug-ins. It has certain limitations (which I'm entirely sure of), but if you're just doing limited recording, it might be worth checking out.

Thanks for the help

Use the trial version of Reaper!

Well, yes, Reaper offers a free trial period of 60 days, and the software is fully functional when you install it. It actually is still fully functional after the 60 day period, but you're supposed to pay for a license to use if after that. You just get a nag screen whenever you use it past 60 days. They kind of use the honor system. It's a great product, imo, and it's well worth throwing them a few bucks for what they offer.

Thanks, will try reaper and pro tools first. Final question, I'm experimenting on a Windows 10 64 bit machine at the moment but also have a 32 bit elsewhere- am I right in thinking that one won't be compatible with helix? Also I have a pod hd300 I'd not realised was also an audio unterface- is this suitable if I bypass all internal processing?

Well Amp Farm was replaced (for the most part) with POD Farm, and that ran natively.

As far as the input impedance, it will depend on what sort of input Z your interface has. There are some interfaces that have a variable input impedance circuit similar to the Helix.

Hmmm, I don't recall seeing interfaces with variable input impedances on their 1/4" inputs.  Typically, the variable impedances were for the Mic inputs.

Clearly it can't. It's software, so unlike Helix, it has no analog inputs to control.

I suppose it's possible they've emulated a similar effect, but they didn't do that in Helix, so I doubt it. It's really not possible, since the net effect depends on the electronics in the guitar, which the software has no knowledge of.

So, if essentially the only limitation of Native is the computer....  so like I could use real Room IR's if I want to?   So if I want to record at Abbey Road or maybe there are Sun Studio IR's I can use them ?   

Imagine the reverbs !!!!!

I'm I dreaming, or is this possible?

So, if essentially the only limitation of Native is the computer....  so like I could use real Room IR's if I want to?   So if I want to record at Abbey Road or maybe there are Sun Studio IR's I can use them ?   

I'm guessing (or have I read it somewhere?) that the IRs will still be truncated to the same sizes as in the hardware version of Helix, so that every patch is 100% portable back and forth

You don't need the Helix plug-in to do this (if it's possible) because you can load IRs into a lot of DAWs. I know you can with Logic.

But to load an IR for a big room reverb? That will require a BUTTLOAD of CPU power... if it's even possible. They are better at transients and such.

But to load an IR for a big room reverb? That will require a BUTTLOAD of CPU power... if it's even possible. They are better at transients and such.

Sorry, I must correct you.

There are 2 different types of reverb plugin (Algorithm), and convolution.

Algorithm is basically every guitar pedal reverb.  Which might be why some here don't know much about convolution reverb.

Convolution reverb is for using IRs of reverbs. For instance I use FL Studio. It has a convolution reverb (Fruity Convolver). This is infact an IR loader. I use it for acoustic guitar IRs, and I can use it for magnificent cave reverb IRs. Matter of fact, this was being used for reverb before guitar cabs/speakers for IRs.

You most certainly don't need a butt load of CPU to run it.  I had a piddling little Phenom II X4 (at 3.0ghz) and it had no issue at all running convo reverb (IRs) in my DAW. Now I am running on a much more powerful CPU, and I bet that most of the people in this thread have a more powerful cpu than that Phenom II.

For the person you are talking to, I would say one instance of Helix Native, then the Convolution plugin (for IR reverb) then have another Helix Native in the same chain after that if he wants more Helix FX after the Convo reverb. 

• Upvote 2

My family Pc is very much in need of replacing. Assuming I have nothing necessary to run helix native other than a guitar and a mic what hardware and software would I need to effectively run helix native to get the same performance and sound quality to just using the rack or floor version? I would want a desktop Pc to be also suitable for general family multimedia use.

Any suggestions for cost effective but suitable complete rig would be appreciated - suggestions for each of the below, plus anything I've missed.

Pc (I know only that 64bit is a necessity)

Audio interface (I have pod hd300 and amplifi tt would either be suitable?)

Daw (I was hoping to use protocols first but this won't run third party plugins not from their marketplace)

Helix native

Uk BTW

Thanks

Andy

I don't know if this has been asked or can be answered but is there a plan for a stand alone version of Helix Native like Pod Farm 2 had?

If you are asking if there will be a version that does not require the purchase of a Helix to run, the answer is 'yes'.  The version of those without a valid Helix registered is currently planned to list for $400. Registered Helix owners can purchase it for $100.

If you are asking if there will be a version that does not require the purchase of a Helix to run, the answer is 'yes'.  The version of those without a valid Helix registered is currently planned to list for $400. Registered Helix owners can purchase it for $100.

I believe the question is will there be an option to use as a standalone app when not using a DAW.